ATI 6970hd

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Rubberducky, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    Hi guys.
    so i recently bought the XFX ATI 6970HD and it's been causing me grief ever since.

when i stress the graphics with a game for instance, sooner or later my video freezes up, sound repeats the last second or so, the i see a split second of snow before my screens turns to black and the turns back to normal.
    it can also do this, when just sitting idle on desktop, though not as often.

Weird thing is that it seems to run a lot more stable when playing multiplayer, for some reason, but the problem is still there.

i've tried rolling back drivers..went from the current version and am now all the way back 10.5
    i've tried underclocking the graphics card, overclocking the power output, and nothing seems to do the trick, and i can't find anything online anywhere, that describes my problem. please help :)

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Could be a powerplay issue or a bad unit. Try running a benchamrk like uigine heaven for an hour or so at stock clocks and see if it's stable, if it is then it's likely a software powerplay issue and you could diagnose it using something like msi afterburner to turn powerplay off (unofficial overclocking mod 2) and see if that fixes it.

oh, and wrong section, btw. This section is for nvidia cards.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What PSU do u have?

4. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    thanks for the reply.

i'll try the benchmark, but what do you mean by powerplay issue?

oh and sorry for the wrong section thing..i'm brand new to forums..you learn as long as you live, right? :p

5. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    i have a "be quiet!" 600w psu

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

PSU should be supplying enough power, unless it's faulty of course, but we'll come to that later.

7. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    so i ran the benchmark a few times and there was no sign of any fault..
    everything ran smoothly at top settings.

no issues found.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is it new or 2nd hand? What card did you have before? Have you tried using the secondary bios?

These "games" (plural) you mention .....wouldn't happen to be only one game (singular) called BF3?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    it was new when i bought it which was somewhere close to september/november, last year

i had a nvidia 9800gtx before that and it worked without problems, it was just getting outdated.

i don't know what the secondary bios is?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^What games? BF3?

Should be a switch next to the CF bridge to switch over to second BIOS. Might be hard to see as it's roughly the size of an atom.

Prob irrelevant if the card is new.

11. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    no the games i'm referring to is bf3 which works way better on mp then sp, oddly, and then there's skyrim, Grid, mass effect 1,2 and 3..lately i've bought NFS:the run and wargame: european escalation, and when screen freezes up on those 2, they crash, so i need ctrl+alt+del out of it.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmmm well if the old card worked great then logic says the cause is directly or indirectly related to your new card.

Is it a factory OC'd version?

What drivers did u install originally? Did you run driver sweeper etc before installing new ones

Sorry for all the questions...

13. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    but in reality it does not seem to matter what is running since i've even seen the same problem while playing chess titans and even just watching a video or browsing the web...basically it can happen anytime, it's just a lot more frequent when playing a graphically demanding game.

14. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    i think it's factory oc'd..the only changes i've made is in ccc and after realizing it did'nt do anything positive, settings were reset to defaults.

i formatted my pc, before installing the drivers so sweeping for old drivers should'nt have been necessary.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think you should test the PSU 12v rail under load to eliminate that as the cause.

In particular check for any ripple.

Then I would check the CPU load, At 3.0Ghz in BF3 and Skyrim I bet that CPU is nearly fully loaded... maybe just enough vdroop to make it crash?

16. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    how do i do that?

17. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    could the problem maybe be related to having ddr3 ram sticks while the graphics card is carrying gddr5 ?

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No, definitely not.

You can check the 12v rail with AIDA64 or OCCT (prob the best). Test your ram as well with memtest86+....

19. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    all power values are within acceptable range, running very smoothly with little to no spikes...
    12v values are hovering between 12,15 - 12,19

20. Rubberducky

Rubberducky Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6970HD 2gb
    also ran a gpu test where the 12v values are a little more bouncy but still ok..between 12.05 - 12.17...average is about 12.11