GTX 900 series physx bug?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Kolt, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just tried Batman: AO and left the latest PhysX driver installed - game crashed within 10 minutes

344.65 - PhysX was working fine

EDIT - Read a post from someone saying it's the newer PhysX drivers causing it and recomended this version
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/9.13.1220/PhysX-9.13.1220-SystemSoftware.msi

Others in that thread said it worked, one guy said it didn't - worth a shot, Im pretty sick of all my games crashing since I've moved to nVIDIA

EDIT 2 - Now I can only select OFF or NORMAL in B:AO PhysX with the above Physx drivers

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    windows 8.1 here

the game runs nicely with physx , no problems at all

3. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Yep, can confirm Last Light Redux hanging after only 6 minutes into the game. (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.)

Windows 8.1 344.75

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    When i upgraded from my 7xx to my 9xx i did a full clean of all nvidia drivers including PhysX using DDU/safe mode you guys know the spiel.

Anyway i couldn't for the life of me even get PhysX to install, no matter what i did or tried they just refused to install. Only after countless attempts and fresh tries did it finally install.

Apart from that they seem fine in game. Borderland TPS is silly when you have PhysX max'd out btw, i think so anyway it looks TOO much.

5. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I also upgraded from a 780ti to 980Gtx any game with PhysX crashes to the desktop within 10 to 15 minutes of play.

I wish I never upgraded.
    Hopefully a new driver will solve the problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    As much as this is a royal PITA, Im pleased I'm not the only one, I was thinking I had a faulty card for a while

So the only fix for now is to disable PhysX then?

Any word on this @ NVIDIA ?

7. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Another work around is leaving physX assigned to GPU and increase the power limit to 115% via NVidia inspector

Tested only 2 hours and so far no crashing to desktop.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I uninstalled Afterburner last night, and so far no crashing either...

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Afterburner's OSD (so that's really RTTS) has been causing a lot of issue for me of late with recent games, especially Dragon Age Inquisition where it seemed to increase loading times and cause horrid stuttering. Since I disabled it the game has been running fine.

I do remember experiencing the same driver stopped responding and recovered error as Vidik as well on my GTX 980 when I first installed it and ran the Metro LL Redux benchmark. At the time I thought it was the (very mild) overclock I had applied so I removed and the benchmark ran fine. However, if this issue is random then that might just have been a coincidence.

So is PhysX bugged then or it is just a conflict with third-party apps such as Afterburner that cause these issues?

10. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I own an EVGA 04G-2982-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked with stock bios

I have to raise my power target to 115 % with PhysX enable games, Lords of the fallen, Batman games and Borderlands all would crash within 10 to 15 minutes of playing when PhysX was enabled and the power target was at 100 %.
    Other games which use Havok physics or there own in house physics were fine at the default power target.

11. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I was getting "Driver stopped responding/has recovered" errors with Metro Redux (PhysX Enabled/GPU) and I don't even have Afterburner installed.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My card has been solid since removing AB, only one crash and that was FC4 hairworks, that loads of people are getting crashing with anyway

Not blaming AB itself, I think something was wrong with the install but leaving it uninstalled for now just in case, new version on the horizon, I`ll test again with that one

13. wyldmagik

wyldmagik Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA-1070-FTW
    I would like to ask as recently changing card brand, should there be showing a test for physx then on the configure surround, physx menu option?

CPU or GPU or AUTO deems nothing to what ive seen in some posts here. Latest whql drivers in use.

DDU was used to clean drivers out in safe mode with clean and turn off pc for new card install.

all 3 monitors show green in the physx info and socket choice on card but I see no test stuff.

Is there anything small I can download that would simply show if its actually working on card?

On another note why is it that everything I seem to choose or option wise sometimes pops info up to close firefox and click apply, wth does my firefox interfere with such things :O

I could not even delete last two shader cache files in %temp% because it said firefox was using them :O

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  15. wyldmagik

wyldmagik Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA-1070-FTW
    Thanks for your time Extraordinary

Edit: well it all seems to work, ive noticed and not sure if its normal with these cards but whatever I throw at it res size emitters etc aa in that physx text it always starts high fps then it seems to lower itself to a stable 60 with avg made of 80's

Its like the card is saying hey u dont need to use all this power to render this stuff u should be happy with solid 60 and we will lower ur cards gpu usage to 45% or so and save you heat and power output.

I load up test games and see intially the gpu usage maxing out on load of game before you start or as you start then its like it gets throttles as in the physx test and gives u only what it wants you or thinks you need frame rate wise per visual encounters in game.

Ive tried nvidia inspector to set global shader cache off and pwr management to maximum use and set all game profiles i tested to same settings, and yet it still seems it likes to save gpu usage and so forth.

:D not really complaining the games run and well I guess but be nice to push it all the time as all my other cards have run. cpu across my cores are all good and not maxed or having issues it seems and vsync im not sure but seems to do absolutely nothing really in game or via control panel options.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Try with volumetric fog/smoke turned off, the overlaying build up of smoke can be crippling.

17. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    No problems here rock solid no crashes or anything, even Far Cry 4 never crashed for me, and i finished the game just today.

also Lords Of The Fallen after a few patches no crashing anymore.

Only thing that wil mess up my fps is with the game Borderlands The Pre-Sequel when i set physX to ultra the game becomes a stutter mess in that specific place where allot of enemies are and allot of physics, if i set it to very high its a bit less.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its a physx 2.x.x feature -_-

Same with most U3E + hw physx games, all are using this pos physx 2.x.x.