Question regarding input lag/prerendering limit

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Bart87, May 20, 2007.

1. Bart87

Bart87 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
    So, here's my problem. I got a mean case of input lag in a whole bunch of games, the most recent one being Rainbow Six: Vegas (Earlier contestants being F.E.A.R, Hitman: Blood Money and Just Cause). The game runs perfectly fine (1280X1024, all settings maxed), except for the input lag problem.

Input lag meaning that the game runs at a steady 40something FPS at all times, but my mouse and keyboard inputs get registered too late or sometimes go completely bonkers.

I've searched for the sollution to this problem for some time, and thought I had concluded my epic quest for the sollution by getting Riva Tuner and adjusting the prerender limit (Wich, as I was told, is the cause of the problem). However, it hasn't helped a thing.

I simply opened Riva Tuner, opened the DirectDraw and Direct3D settings, and under the tab 'Vsync' set the Prerender limit to 1 and the Synchronization with Vertical Retrace on Always off. Apply.

I checked out the OpenGL settings too, but it doesn't seem to want to put it lower than 2, though whether that has any impact on Rainbow Six, I doubt.

Anyhow, I did that, away I went, back into the game. But nothing has changed, and my cursor still likes to go wherever I don't want it to.

I've also tried setting the Prerender limit to 0, but then Rainbow Six outright refuses to start up. It comes all the way up to the swirly whirly Ubisoft intro, freezes, and forces me to reset.

Can anybody help?

My specs, by the way, are:

GeForce 8800 GTS, 640 MB (Asus)
    Asus P5GDC Pro Motherboard
    2 GB RAM
    Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 'Prescott'

EDIT: PS, I also turned the Vertical Synchronization off in the game's options menu.

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    I didn't encounter your problem ever so I may not be of much help, but if such thing would happen to me I'd first try a couple of different mices at least, before concluding it's a soft problem. Plus a windows reinstall.

3. Bart87

Bart87 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
    Kakaru2;

Thanks for the reply, but I'm positive it's not my mouse. Firstly, it's a Razer Diamondback, so it would be made for games. But more importantly, it only happens in very few games. In 90% of my games I don't have this problem. UT 2004, Shadow of Chernobyl, Oblivion, Max Payne 2, Half Life 2 and dozens of others don't have this problem at all.

It got me thinking, though. Could it maybe be the monitor? I got an IIyama ProLite E1700 S, a 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024, with a 2ms response time.

4. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    I had a Diamond back(now I'm on Copperhead) and it was a great mouse.
    I read on a lot of forums about monitors lag. I don't know what to say, I'm more a disbeliever.
    If you can get a friend to make you a visit with a monitor you could test.
    I for one would first:
    Update all bioses/firmware-system, vga, drives, modems,etc.
    Get the latest drivers
    Install a clean xp with all updates on separate partition
    Keep it simple, no other progs installed, like office, chat, whatever- this is supposed to be your test system
    install latest drivers for everything (incl monitor, mouse, chipset,vga, ...)
    Install game with troubles.
    Start testing at:
    -different resolutions
    - different quality settings
    Eg, first test at 800*600 with low settings (or 640*480*with everything on minimum)
    Then start upping and see what happens.
    Perhaps are some game mechanics that cause this, seeing that other games run fine.