X1800 -> FIREGL V7300 patch script

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by hazmatto, Aug 16, 2006.

1. bende

bende Member

No I haven't. But I can clearly see some performance gain in maya. some things like hypershade are working noticeably faster. However, there is also an increase of crashes and nonresponsiveness. The viewport is now more unstable. maximizing any viewport or especially hypershade for example crashes maya. But I am still using it as firegl inspite of the crashes, since it is really faster than the radeon drivers. I have also replaced the code of the default profile with the code of maya profile in the "FGL_32.REG" file but I don't think it worked. After your last post about the device ID's I increased the clock speed of my card with rivatuner but It didn't work, instead, some artifacts appeared on the screen, so I decreased it.
    I am now thinking of flashing the bios but I am not sure yet. Do you think it is a good idea to flash it to a xt?

Thanks for your helps and efforts. If you want me to do something like testing please tell.

2. jdeer

jdeer New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA FX5200
    The Device ID of my Sapphire Radeon 1600 Series is 71C2. What line would you recommend me to add for Dst1_8? I'm not a programmer, but I feel it must be a bit different? I tried 1800 instead of 1A00, following your explanations, but got a BSOD, then tried the line as you advised without any alterations and it's working now; at least I got to use the hardware shaders in Solidworks; I got no improvement in the Specview 8.1 test, though. Nor can I see the additional tabs in the ATI Control Panel

3. otmenzatep

otmenzatep New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS250 Green
    Thanks

Thanks a lot, man. I installed the drivers. Glinfo says:

Driver version 6.14.10.5885
    Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
    Renderer ATI FireGL V5200 x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2
    OpenGL version 2.0.5885 WinXP Release

But I can't install Control Panel. It's the same as Radeon CP and haven't a special capability as FireGL options. A RivaTuner display atiglxx.dll, but don't atioglgl.dll. Is this mean that drivers use atiglxx.dll?
    I tested my card with SpecViewPerf 8.1 before and after modding and this is the results:
    Run All Summary before:

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 13.32

---------- SUM_RESULTS\CATIA\SUMMARY.TXT
    catia-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 9.264

---------- SUM_RESULTS\ENSIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    ensight-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 0.00000

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 6.621

---------- SUM_RESULTS\MAYA\SUMMARY.TXT
    maya-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 12.78

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.69

---------- SUM_RESULTS\SW\SUMMARY.TXT
    sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 9.545

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 11.74

Run All Summary after:
    3dsmax-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 15.81

catia-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 10.86

ensight-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 19.20

light-07 Weighted Geometric Mean = 8.377

maya-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 14.56

proe-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 13.11

sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 10.76

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 13.16

The different is too small and I think that the mod isn't work. I'll try with older version of atioglgl.dll and write the result.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Try to run tests with VSync off to see if the mod is really working.

5. otmenzatep

otmenzatep New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS250 Green
    I tryed to clean drivers with DriverCleaner Pro and install its again and result was that GLInfo says:

Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
    Renderer: GDI Generic
    OpenGL version: 1.1.0

What's wrong? I tryed other versions of atioglgl.dll with same effect. When install Catalyst drivers first and then moded for FireGL then GLinfo recognize ATI and OpenGL 2. When I install firegl drivers "at clean" there isn't information about opengl. May be these drivers 8.263 are not modable.:confused:Old drivers don' support V5200 (have to try 8.233).

6. otmenzatep

otmenzatep New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS250 Green
    I turned off VSync, but the results are the same. May be the mod is impossible at this time, or I make some mistake. I patch atioglgl.dl_ with this script:
    and ati2mtag.sy_ with this script:
    The driver version is 8.263. I try to patch Control Panel installer, but without result (the script can't patch file) and I install original version - without special menu for FireGL. I don't know what is the problem, but mod isn't working for me.:bang:

7. hazmatto

hazmatto Member

The same line in the script should work for device ID 71C2 that works for 71C0. There is one bit that is different between the two of them, and it is set to 1 in the fgl device id, so it does not matter what it is originally. If you really want to get fancy you could change the 1A00 to 1800 but then you would also have to change the E0 in the AND part to E2.

It seems we are still missing something though. It is most likely that the control panel checks the device id in the driver, so the control panel would have to be hacked in a similar fashion to the driver.
    But without the contrl panel, if the driver is properly loaded there still should be some improvements if the pro features are unlocked. Maybe they default to being off, until you enable them in the control panel. This would be an easy way for ATI to make this type of hack difficult, requiring the control panel as well as the driver to enable the pro features.

A bios flash won't do any good unless there are some checks that the drive or control panel do that are only in the bios. Clock speeds and strings come to mind. The important bits of the device ids are still controlled by resistors.

It is strange that you need to install the regular drivers first and then install the firegl ones. Maybe there is a check in the installer and it doesn't install a file without passing the check.

8. otmenzatep

otmenzatep New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS250 Green
    May be Control Panel checks the ID, but I had a Radeon 9800Pro and I moded it toFireGL X2 without a problems and without patching the CP installer. The driver wich I used was 8.083. Now I tryed to install control panel from 8.083, but again without sucsess. May be there is another hide protection of new drivers, wich block the Control panel. The RivaTuner patch for control panel installer don't work with 8.263. Btw I probed it to 8.083 and it didn't work too.

9. jdeer

jdeer New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA FX5200
    Thank you, HAZMATTO. I also feel hacking ati2mtag.sys alone doesn't unlock the professional features of the card.

10. hazmatto

hazmatto Member

I just played around with a firgl v7350. I extracted the bios if anyone wants it. It did a specview with the driver installed without changing any settings in the control panel.

3dsmax-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 20.41

catia-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 25.27

ensight-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 19.85

light-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 23.14

maya-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 78.45

proe-04 Weighted Geometric Mean = 20.43

sw-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 34.28

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGNX\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugnx-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 18.72

---------- SUM_RESULTS\TCVIS\SUMMARY.TXT
    tcvis-01 Weighted Geometric Mean = 9.520

It seems that there is considerable improvement without the control panel, so although we can't get the control panel to recognized the hacked card, if the driver was properly loaded you should see some improvement. Well, the v7350 is 1GB which might account for some of the improvement over the 512MB x1800xt. But the 78 in maya perf is probably the pro features.

I also scanned the cards looking for any obvious resistor differences. There were thousands of differences between the cards. So without extra info, blindly moving around resistors is not likely to do anything good.

11. huangyanhao

huangyanhao Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  12. huangyanhao

huangyanhao Member

of course,the successful is Unwinder's .
    he made the rivatuner

In China ,both of us love him .
    so we work hard,and at last ,we are sccuess

In my mind ,the script can just use on r4xx and r3xx,

because i made it .

here is the link

http://www.newbietech.net/bbs/cn/viewthread.php?tid=6054

13. axelscorpio

axelscorpio Member

x1600xt

I have a X1600xt.. can anyone explain me what I have to do to mod it into a V5200? thanks

14. videogiochi

videogiochi New Member

how i can download the pach script .txt?