Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2 should perform better?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Tee_k, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Here are the results, Phenom II x4 @ 4.0ghz using only 2 cores:

CPU Mark

This Computer 2547

CPU - Integer Math

This Computer 3644

CPU - Floating Point Math

This Computer 2490

CPU - Prime Numbers

This Computer 5.8

CPU - Extended Instructions (SSE)

This Computer 10.4

CPU - Compression

This Computer 2940

CPU - Encryption

This Computer 516

CPU - Physics

This Computer 127.5

CPU - Sorting

This Computer 2094

CPU - Single Threaded

This Computer 1328

A little more interesting this time. It loses to the 550 in Prime numbers as I expected, and I'm sure that this is due to the lack of an L3 cache. But it also loses in Physics processing by a pretty good margin, I'm guessing this can also be attributed to the 550's advantage of having 6MB of L3 Cache. But with everything else the 550 is left in the dust.

2. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Well, that's true. The Phenom X4 Performs similarly to my Intel Core 2 at 3.8 GHz, but I guess my processor has a tad bit faster when it comes to overall performance. Now with that said have test TWL's Display Drivers yet?

3. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Not yet, that's next on the list. Gonna grab some dinner and report back in a bit with those results. Thanks again for sticking with me.:cheers:

4. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB

5. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Sure no problem.

I think the builds for HD 4000 Users ended somewhere in the 4.xx Series. (It could be 4.23 not quite sure as it's been awhile)

6. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Final Build v5.10 [For HD4-6 + Mobility + CFX/Single card setups + AGP Cards (+ NVIDIA Adapters)]:

I'm assuming this means it's for 4xxx, could be wrong?

7. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    The build I used was the 424B I'm not quite sure about the other as the drivers became only for HD 5000 Users and above at some point.

8. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    I'm at the part where it asks for my specs, the options being:
    1 - Agp card
    2 - Single card and 5970
    3 - Single Card with eyefinity
    4 - Cross/tri/quadfire
    5 - Cross/tri/quadfire with Eyefinity
    6 - Mobility

Now I'm confused here as I have a single card, but it's dual gpu like the 5970, meaning it's also crossfire.

So would I pick 2 or 4?

9. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    You should not have to pick anything. Just go to the genetix_build-x64 then run setup.exe and proceed to installing the driver like normal. If you do feel it's necessary to choose go with option four.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

11. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Ok, so I went with option 4, I figured if it didn't work out I can always start over and try option 2. So far the results are more promising...
    I'm starting to see gpu utilization numbers creep into the 70s, when looking at more sparse areas. Where I was getting 50ish fps before, it's looking more like 58 now, so there is some improvement. But where I'm getting the 58 fps, I'm still only seeing like 40-50% utilization. Also I'm getting the gpu clock bug on gpu 1, it's not clocking down to 2d clocks but staying in 3d mode. So airbud may have been right to go with option 2.

On another note, when I disable crossfire I'm seeing a nice 99% utilization and about 59-60 fps where I was seeing 55 before, so that's nice. I guess if it comes down to it, I may just end up disabling crossfire for this game, as much as I hate to. Gonna play around and do some more testing and I'll report back shortly.

12. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    One other thing, when I switch over to DX11 mode, at the title screen I'm FINALLY seeing both gpus hit 99% and I'm getting like 350fps there, whereas in DX9 I'm only seeing 200fps. But, when I get into the game, the fps is pretty much the same, maybe slightly boosted but I'd say less than 10%, and the gpu utilization is hovering around 80-90%. Definitely not getting enough frames to justify that much more gpu use.

13. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Sigh I guess the latest Drivers are still lacking as the 10.xx still works perfectly in some cases. One thing I would like you to do is to Test if this improvement applies to other games. It would be great if you could provide results with both Crossfire and Single Gpu.

Other Thoughts
    When choosing option two were you able resolve the Multi Gpu Clock bug?

14. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Alright, after deleting my RadeonPro profile for wow, setting everything else back to default, making a new profile, setting a couple tweaks, running wow in dx11 mode, I'm seeing 80fps @ 99% gpu utilization. Not -exactly- what I wanted to see, but at this point I'm willing to take it and I think we can call this one a win. It's smooth, very playable and I've yet to dip below 60fps. I'm gonna keep playing around and see if I can get it optimized a little more, but for right now I'm happy. Gonna try a few more games and different things out and report back my findings for future reference and definitely drop a line in TwL's thread for a job well done on these drivers. Thanks to everyone for your help and I'll see you all around.

P.S. Got a Phenom II x4 965 lined up. Should be getting it sometime next week and gonna see how much a difference it makes.

15. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    I just noticed that the clock bug only happens when I have Gpu-Z open. Not sure what's going on there, but it's not enough to bother me. Gonna strip these drivers out and reinstall with option 2 in a little bit and see what difference it makes.

16. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Ok, thanks for sharing your results. if I can make use of files from 10.xx series it should help some HD 4000 Users and below regain their lost performance over the past few years. But I don't think they will come in the actual driver as some Users want to be on latest driver sets. Therefore it may end up in the Dx9 Switcher folder as another alternative Performance Switcher.

17. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    I think once Kev comes back around, we should all get together and form a Unofficial Legacy Driver team, lol. I actually write proprietary drivers for some of the custom hardware where I work, it's not the same really, but I feel some of my experience could translate well, and I'm always up for learning new things. Also helps that I actually have a 4870x2 to test. :D

18. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Reinstalled the drivers with option #2 this time. Not really seeing much difference, it could be a little better, or could just be placebo effect. Walking around the area I'm getting 75-99% gpu utilization with my minimum fps hitting 60, but usually hovering around 80fps, jumping up to 100fps now and then and even 130fps a couple times.

19. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Actually there is one thing I would like to implement but they require coding and unfortunately that's not my area of expertise at least not right now. Well maybe two Features. I need a code capable of recognizing what Graphic Card is in use then apply xyz changes. Possible problems during recognition would be both Graphic Cards are in use if thats the case then I will need to implement a system in which all Gpu's are already assigned to do a specify task and will ignore all task that it's not assigned to, This method seems the easiest but it needs to be setup first.

Did you only experience a performance increase only for WoW or are other games positively affected?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. Strykaar

Strykaar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2 2GB
    Before in Skyrim I was seeing 25-40 fps at medium settings, now it's more like 40-60.

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed with crossfire off (that game totally hates crossfire) I'm getting 60 fps solid which I've never had before. It's always been high 50s, rarely 60, with many dips into the low 30s.

And then comes Grid 2... At the garage screen I'm getting 35fps where before it was 60. On the test track I'm getting 35-50 fps when before I was getting 40-60. Gonna have to play around with it a little bit but so far it isn't scaling to well.

Moving on to other games to see how they turn out.