Adhering copper sinks to vrm

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Bigbeard1986, May 19, 2017.

1. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    What do you guys think about using both thermal tape and thermal pads for sticking a heatsink onto a videocard's vrm, in the case such as using a kraken g10.

Thermal conductivity of tape is low compared to pads, but there is no way to have the pads adhere. What if we were to use tape on both sides of the pads, and then attach the heatsink to it, onto the vrm?

Would it be too many layers, or would it work much better due to the thermal pad conducting a lot more heat. Pushing thermal tape into the thermal pad will make like a sandwitch where the tape is surrounded.

2. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    This would be much worse than just using a single layer of tape.

toast likes this.
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    More layers =s more insulation, not better heat transfer.

Use a tiny dab of thermal glue if you want.

Tiny amount will be removable.

4. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    thanks. I don't want to mess with thermal glue.

the SEKISUI thermal adhesive has very strong bonding properties. I had issues with akasa and 3M tape where sometimes a few heatsinks would fall off.

5. DAMAFIA

DAMAFIA Guest

GPU:
    7970@1180/1800
    Bit late but my method is just too use sum really thick an sticky Tim, I find even under a fair amount of heat it still sticks them on even upside dwn. If that fails just dab a bit of superglue on a match an dab it on the side of the chip after mounting the sinks. The bond is easily broken an cleaned up if u want to ever remove them.

toast likes this.