Launch Of Intel Haswell Reportedly Delayed Till June

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    More Haswell news today. ‘Haswell’ is the name of Intel’s next-generation processors as you guys know by now. Last week we already we reported some of the key details of...

Launch Of Intel Haswell Reportedly Delayed Till June

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Gigabyte z87x up4 mobo + haswell i5?
    i've had sandy + ivy so i may as well go haswell if it's not here till summer time. :)
    *No but really if it rocks i'm in. :p

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Unfortunately, there's really nothing out there that is pushing Intel to push out Haswell. AMD doesn't seem to have any answers to it anyways...

I wished AMD did... but it doesn't seem to unless Steamroller can increase performance to its levels while keeping power low which AMD doesn't seem to have that luxury these days.

deltatux

4. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    By the rate AMD is going Intel don't need to rush things. I'm not convinced yet of Haswell until i see some bench or OC. For all we know with no competition Intel virtually do what it wants with the new CPU. But seriously with the capital that Intel has why don't they just lower the prices of their CPU and just kill off AMD.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Because that would invite more problems than you think intel may wait on ARM to catch up before trying to "kill off" AMD.

6. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Killing off AMD will result in increased market prices for Intel since that would create a monopoly. AMD's are still good for budget builds, if you don't mind the power consumption of their CPUs though.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    AMD first needs to learn the basics, like ABC marketing, figuring out correct launch dates and not crapping into your own hat.

Note: NO forms of advertising or promotions to end user allowed untill 2 June.

[​IMG]

Now roll back few days ago when AMD announced weirdly named HD8000 M, and went with PR about "2nd gen GCN", therefore making life even harder than it already is for HD7000 reselers.
    And they do this all the time. Before that it was HD7000 crapping all over Q4 and Xmas sales of existing HD6000, although for example HD7950 was not available even theoretically until February, and in volume even later.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Another new socket makes me start to dislike Intel more and more. Talk about moneygrabbing from the masses.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    While I'm not fond of socket switching, at the same time, without socket switches, it does hamper progress. AMD for a long while kept AM2/+/3/+ since 2006. They have not been able to address many issues plaguing their CPUs like memory bandwidth and other enhancements Intel has when they jumped sockets.

deltatux

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    <---Upgrade delayed until Skymont.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, same, my rebuild is scheduled for 2017 since I already built this rig this year. I have a 5 year build cycle (that or something changes that I haven't foreseen that I need an actual upgrade before the 2017 date).

deltatux

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As I've said numerous times in regards to AMD.... Designing a processor around a socket, severely limits development. Designing a socket around a processor however, allows the engineers to do their job and create more advanced processors.

AMD is limited to what the AM3/AM3+ sockets can support....which means they're limited in the "advancements" they can make with each processor release. This is part of the reason they can't catch up to Intel. They're too busy trying to design processors around the socket instead of developing a socket around a processor.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Smart plan that is good sir.
    The only components I see myself upgrading anytime soon would be an SSD and GPU and maybe a new PSU, if only for better cable management.
    I hate to admit it but these 580s are starting to show their age, if only for the lack of Vram and poor show of ports lately. So lesson learned (Thanks to G3d) and i'll be waiting until the next lot of gpus have settled in to get the version with the most Vram. imo with current tech, a GPU is only as effective as the amount of ram it has to do it's thing.

@sykozis,
    I dont know much on the subject of sockets (Im sorry but I just play games an tinker with H/W until it works) but perhaps AMD are just not interested in bleeding their customers dry unlike Intel with their constant change in sockets. At the end of the day I'd be running an AMD system if weren't for the lack of performance, though that raises two questions:

1.What am i doing that needs the full power of a 2600k?
    Answer: Nothing except gaming, im sure i could've got an AMD cpu for half the price that would of been just as effective for the games i play.

2.I actually forgot what the second one was as i was writing the first.:bang:
    *Perhaps there is no second question, just like there is no spoon*

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Changing sockets has little to do with "bleeding the customer dry"....but more to do with the fact that maintaining compatibility with an older socket severely limits the advancements that can be made with a new processor. AMD can stick with AM3/AM3+....but they'll be limited to the same interconnects that they've been using. AMD really needs to add an integrated PCIe controller....but on AM3/AM3+ that isn't going to be possible. They'd have to design a new socket to do so.

I'm in a similar position as you. I don't really need my 2600K.....in fact, I could easily get away with an A8-5600K or A10-5800K.... That will probably be my next build actually...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    [​IMG]

I sometimes look forward just as much to a new mobo as I do the CPU. Even if there were no socket changes I'd probably still upgrade the board for the new chipset, features and improvements it would bring.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think I'll wait on the 2011 replacement this time around maybe haswell-e or whatever it will be called.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ivy Bridge-E will be the next LGA2011 processor...

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    AMD simply doesn't have the money to do everything from scratch. A large part of the bulldozer CPU was supposedly done with help of computers which lead to an inefficient architecture.
    Intel however does and is I think deliberately changing sockets even though it might not be needed to make even more money through motherboards.

20. mw8t

mw8t Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Will upgrade if GTA V brings my current setup to it's knees