Will you buy Windows 8 @ launch ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iFRAC7UR3, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As per above, this is what alot of people are saying, but i just don't see them dropping Metro in W9, if anything it's more likely the desktop mode will be totally dropped as Tablets will be even more widespread by then.

I personally still can't get used to Metro, but that's cause i'm lazy.

2. MagamiAKO

MagamiAKO Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 Superclocked
    I pre-ordered my copy of Windows 8 through Newegg. I've been running it for some time on both my laptop and desktop (Enterprise copies....) and can definitely say it's a major improvement over 7.

Metro won't be going away. Get used to it. I also don't necessarily foresee the desktop going away either, but we'll see how things go over the coming years with the tablet space as performance improves.

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I'm with this guy. Whether Metro still exists in Windows 9 or not, for me, its a day early and a dollar short. Windows 7 just came out three years ago and not only is it too soon for a new OS imo, there's just no plausible reason for the "upgrade" to Touchscreen 8.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    MS stated "Metro" is the new UI for future as well, likely they will evolve it further. I suspect that eventually, the desktop will be integrated into the Start and more keeping with the Metro style as by this time likely most developers will be using similar style layouts anyway for their desktop applications.

The issue with most is not the tiles themselves, Metro and Desktop are two different experiences, completely disembodied from each other, stitched together via hideaway menu bars, the same difference one would get from two different devices, that is a disturbance to many when trying to toggle between both when doing various tasks.
    At some point they will have to emerge the two into a more cohesive experience which should resolve much of the annoyance. Typical MS to keep legacy, but i think the desktop itself is irrelevant for actual use, its a bar with wallpaper, features they could have provided into the start screen itself leaving only the apps and applications with such stark contrast

5. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    I'm contemplating getting the upgrade for my older Vista 64 machine, but would it be pointless to put it on an old c2d 6750/550ti rig? I mean I can get it for the $40 price or whatever and wouldn't mind tooling around with it a bit. My daughter does game on it, and I thought I read WoW wouldn't support it or something?

I have no interest in putting it on the machine on my system specs at all, as it's Win 7 and I love it.

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Not pointless at all. In fact Win8 would easily run better on that system than Vista.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WoW runs just fine in Windows8. Blizzard wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to support a major OS release.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Will buy it...no.
    Try it. For sure,yes.
    More to it,the second Win 8 goes live,and the first lot of laptops/tablets with W8 are in the hands of the users,i expect a LOT of calls with WHERE is this / that?
    So better to be prepared..

9. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    OK, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS is still offering a 90-day trial of Windows8 Enterprise RTM. I'd recommend grabbing that instead of the consumer preview.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    tell their cheapskate ass to just buy a goddamned book, its not expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually considered buying one of those books myself just to see if there's anything useful in them...

13. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    I have been messing around with the RTM evaluation since it was released. The more i try to get used to the new start and some new ways things are arranged and setup.... the more i just kind of get annoyed. I pretty much figured out how to do everything.... it's just i find myself really not WANTING to. Maybe i'm old and grumpy but i think i'll stick to 7 for at least another couple of years for my main PC. I'll prob just keep it on a secondary PC for testing and junk. But that's about it.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Runing a VM evaluation copy of Windows 8 entrerprise...i need to spend some time with it ,just to re learn basic stuff...oh my

15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    tried windows 8 on 2 old laptops dell latitude D630 and HP pavillion DV9700 that were to slow to use windows 7 but they both run windows 8 really well impressed with the speed they startup so will be definatly upgrading them at pre order prices still not sure about my main PC would need to upgrade powerDVD and nero so not so cheap.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah, PowerDVD is rather expensive...and PowerDVD12 is hardly worth the cost imho.... Wish they would support PowerDVD11 on Win8.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i have both of them on Kindle. Honestly, these are the only way one is likely to actually master an OS unless you take college courses on it. I just mean you're not going to truly master it by tinkering around..same with Linux.
    To further note, i'm sure there may be more advanced books than these out there, not sure but i've used Windows much of my life since DOS and i've learned some tricks i could have used for years....like i never knew when renaming lots of files you could just tab to the next one, i always right clicked each file manually, its refreshing to realize your old habit of doing something is inferior actually.
    In W8, i just read a built in method to disable the lock screen, so there is plenty to learn over figuring it out for yourself which may take forever.

You might give classic shell or start8 a try, if nothing else, it should make you less grumpy. Start8 will be a must for me, i can't handle the split personality aspect of Metro. But there is a way to mimic the wallpaper of start screen onto your desktop so at least its not so out of place when you open start.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Last time I picked up a Linux book....it was rather heavy and thick.... There's a LOT to Linux beyond just it's UI. I could never keep track of all the different commands myself...but, it doesn't lack much in the way of configurability.

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Got one of those books too. Definitely a far more configurable OS than any other and not all command lines work for every distro and version. My experience was i spent more time fixing and configuring than i spent using the apps for it, many of which are lacking imo.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Same. If I had a nickel for every time I crashed a Linux install by playing with various commandlines....I'd be retired already...