please review my upcoming build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not bad, nicely balanced, the 600W psu is a bit of an overkill though. let me have a look and see if I can put something better together for that sort of money.

EDIT: I would go with a fx 8320 and a $120 990FX mobo instead of that cpu you picked. Not sure about rams, don't they need to be higher voltage? other than that nice.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    What is your budget and what's the purpose of the pc?

4. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080

5. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    If it is mainly for gaming I would look into intel CPUs, Z77 mobo, 1600mhz RAM and a 7950 GPU.

If you want to build a good gaming rig that you won't need to upgrade again next year then you should invest in it.

I upgraded my whole PC except PSU and monitor for 600 euros and playing at 1080p. I can play all games on ultra settings except Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 with Ubersampling, which has some spikes I don't like but playing flawlessly without it.

6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    eclap the reason I went 600 watt with the psu is because this is a temp build.. I will eventually swap the mobo,cpu for intel when more money comnes around.

Creation there is no more money to be had in my budget to go intel build I configured one based on the 3570k and a decent but cheap mobo the asrock extreme 4 which was only 89 usd when bought with the cpu from microcenter but I am 150 over budget that way.

In either build I still have no mouse keyboard or speakers.

I am hoping in having those items gifted to me by a friend

so I can get by for now with an AMD build.

Eclap I am looking forward to seeing what u can come up with and thanks n advance

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that 8320 would be great. you can find a 990fx chipset board for less than $150. I'm not actually sure about rams for AMD boards, but I thought you needed 1.5v rams for that chipset. I might be wrong, someone else will confirm that hopefully.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, "get by" with an AMD build? Once you get the 8320 up and running, you may feel very differently. Check the benches, the new AMD 8 series chips are right in the running with Intel, beating many of their offerings.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    EDIT. disregard this post, sorry

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I say try and push for the 8320 that is a very good CPU.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    the cpu is alright, but I most certainly would not upgrade to it over my 2 year old Sandy Bridge processor

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    8320 it is at 139 I cant pass it up

so the question remains do I go with the asrock extreme 3 or the extreme 9

I read somewhere that the power phase on the extreme 3 can not handle an oc on the core cpus as they over heat or some crap.

if the extreme 3 is fine I would rather go with that and save 30 bucks.

please let me know.

also does the 8320 come with a stock heatsink/fan?

13. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I had the extreme 3, it's nice, but don't expect to OC or run 125w or over cpus.

Stock 95w or OC'd dual cores maybe fine though. The voltage regulators overheat, they have a tiny heatsink and i believe are only a 3 phase setup.

The extreme 4 would be a much better choice than the extreme 3.

Depending on where your shopping you may find the Asrock 990FX Fatality for less than the extreme 9, should oc just as good and also has a fair amount of options.

Yes, boxed 8320 come with the amd heatpipe cooler. I like them too. My friend says it looks like an engine sitting on your processor. :p

Edit: As for the cores overheating on the extreme 3, it's an error in either the software or the bios, but your nothbridge temp is registered, not your cpu temp.

It threw me off for a minute as i pulled my hair out. I went to water cooling, as i planned to do so anyways and temps got worse. I was like WTF opened the case, water block was warm, but the heatsink on the voltage regulators was damn hot.

The extreme 4 has better regulators (more) and comes with an optional fan you can install on the (larger) heatsink for the power regulators.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Asrock Extreme 9 does look like a great board (recent model too). On the Asrock website it says the Extreme 9 as 12+2 phase power, the Extreme 3 has 4+1. The Extreme 9 also has other features that should lead to better overclocking. It is the one I'd get!

16. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ok im all over the place with this build so please forgive me but would there be any major drawbacks with going with a non 990fx mobo and using a 970 chipset and saving like 60 bucks?

I will still get the 8 core vishera cpu and a 7850 gpu but I only ever use a single gpu and never plan on using more than one.

also keep in mind I will be replacing this build with an intel z7 and an i5 3570k in august.

I am trying to save cash on this build as much as possible cause I also need a new cell phone and am looking to grab a galaxy s2 for 250 bucks lol.

so will I hit any major drawbacks with a 970 mobo?

also I have no plans on any major overclocking at this time.

thanks.

suggestions on low price 970 mobos but reliable are greatly appreciated.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Get the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. Also, why build this computer if you're replacing it in only a few months?

18. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    lol im silly like that... I will build this cause I sorely miss gaming and my xbox 360 is just not cutting it for me.

plus I could use a pc for school work.

this is a hobby/passion for me as it is for many of us.

I just want something to get by for now.

I can reuse all my parts im getting and just switch my mobo and cpu at a later date.

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Your logic in building an i5 3570k system after this one is seriously flawed. That will be a lateral move, once you build an AMD 8320 system. Honestly, look at the benches, you will be ditching one system for something that performs very similar. It doesn't make sense.

20. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    sorry guys I must seem like a total noob...just that I been out of the loop for quite some time now.

I have made a final decision after doing some research and taking your advice and decided to go with the 8 core vishera and the gigabyte 990fx ud3 mobo.

I also decided to up the ram to a higher speed for 4 dollars more.

I am blowing my whole tax return but oh well.

reason this is so important to get right is due to the fact that I was laid off so this is all the cash I have at all and luckily the fiancée is all for me building myself a pc.

if it is a lateral move to go to intel after I build this then perhaps in august I will just add a soundcard and some 2.1 speakers and get a nice new case...storm stryker white edition I am thinking.

I also decided on these for mouse and keyboard...tell me your opinions as I have to go cheap .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823334012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=26-570-014&IsVirtualParent=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826999074