Enable 8-bit palette textures ??

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Evil Squall, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Evil Squall

Evil Squall Guest

Can someone please tell me how to enable 8-bit palette textures support in Riva Tuner???<br>
    I have a Riva TNT2 M64 card on Detonator 650...<br>
    Thanks a lot.

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    i think 8-bit are available only for GFs AND drivers&gt;=1240<br>
    <br>
    For tnt i believe 2.xx series had support for this, i vaguely remember a Pal8TextureConvert reg setting, set it to 1.<br>
    <br>
    But the usefulness of this one is debatable. Un Ogl Q2 i believe it support it and to the best of my knowledge enabling 8bit pal worsens quality, and that I don't like.

3. Neeyik

Neeyik Guest

I concur with Kakaru2 about 8-bit palletised textures...apart from the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to play a game in 256 colours, there are very very few games that utilise it. Kakaru2 is correct about Quake 2 and I think Final Fantasy 7 is another one.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>

4. Evil Squall

Evil Squall Guest

I am playing Final Fantasy 8 and the configuration utility told me that the 8-bit palletized textures is failed.<br>
    I wanna try the game with 8-bit palletted textures enable.<br>
    but after all I did to enable the 8-bit palletted textures. The game will not run... damnit..<br>
    <br>
    can someone please tell me what this "8-bit palletted textures" do in the game? will it make the game runs smoother or something?

5. Neeyik

Neeyik Guest

8-bit palletised textures are...well, how to describe them...it's a texture format that uses a colour pallete of 256 colours (hence the 8-bit part). Such a texture format is obviously very basic indeed, to the point where it can be used in DOS or without higher function drivers, and the like.<br>
    <br>
    Hmmm, making a pig's ear hole out of this...well, you've got a simple solution. Upgrade to newer drivers - there isn't much of a performance loss going from the 6.xx series to the 12.xx series with TNT2 cards.<br>
    <br>

6. Neeyik

Neeyik Guest

Interesting. A quick glance at the support pages at Eidos for FF7 shows that the game "doesn't" support NVIDIA graphics cards...<br>
    <br>
    Read for yourself: <A HREF="http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/support/faqinfo.html?fqid=65&gmid=44" TARGET=_blank>FF7 Video FAQ</A><br>
    <br>
    I personally find this rather surprising, but there again, the PC conversion of the game was mediocre by anyone's standard.<br>
    <br>

7. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    First, I remeber sth about a patch for FF7 that disabled some settings that caused problems w. nvidia cards.<br>
    <br>
    Second, about 8 bit. <br>
    These were introduced in early 3d days, Vodoo1 time, when there were a lot of apps in 8 bit and when 16 bit was SLOW.<br>
    <br>
    Any TNT+ card is more than capable of doing 16 bit at acceptable fps, so why bother enabling'em only to worsen quality?<br>
    <br>
    If u really want to see em you have to downgrade to 2.08 or 2.40, enable that setting in Registry and also hope that 2.xx will stillbe compatible to your OS/app(Win200, XP is not supported).<br>
    <br>
    I DEFINETELY agree with Neeyik about "apart from the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to play a game in 256 colours".<br>
    <br>
    If you want some perf set 16 bit but that's all.<br>
    <br>
    Common, why do you think nvidia disabled Palette for TNT after 3.xx series?<br>
    <br>
    As fot TNT2 the best drivers are 6.50. You alredy use these so there is no need to change.<br><br><i>This message was edited by Kakaru2 on 03 Oct 2001 11:22 AM</i>