TV recommendations.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by uVSthem, Oct 22, 2014.

1. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    I am looking at purchasing a TV for my HTPC. Ideally, I would like a display that is at least 55 inches to 65 inches, can handle 4K at 60FPS and I can use Nvidia 3D vision 2 to for games and movies. More importantly, I would like to use 120PFS natively at up to 1080P. No funny tricks or anything. I would like to jest connect to the TV’s HDMI 2.0 port and go. Does anyone have any recommendations to something that comes close to this? Does anything like this even exist?
    Now a TV like this also had G-SYNC support and was a touch screen it would be perfect. We can dream, right?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    I just bought a Sony XBR65X850B the other day, it will be here tomorrow for delivery. I will let you know how it works. From what I read from your post, it checks all your requirements. Currently only $2799 around the web. IF you buy it from newegg its tax free (tax adds another $250).

EDIT: After doing tons of research, the only competition this set has is the Samsung UN65HU8550.

Samsung :http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65H...TF8&qid=1413985664&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+4k

Sony: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X85...id=1413985725&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+xbr65x850b

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Thank you, please let me know. I was looking into the Sony 4K line and found this listed on the webpage under product specifications.

Video

Video Signal : 3840x2160/24p; 3840x2160/25p; 3840x2160/30p; 4096x2160/24p; 3840x2160/60p (YCbCr4:2:0 8bit); 1080/24p (HDMI only); 1080/60i; 1080/60p (HDMI / Component); 480/60i; 480/60p; 720/60p; 1080/30p (HDMI only); 720/30p (HDMI only); 720/24p (HDMI only)

It doesn't say anything about taking in a true 120hz single so I have my doubts.

Link to page: http://store.sony.com/64.5-diag-x850b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR65X850B/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

4. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    To be honest, that is what I am worried about. I am "upgrading" from a 58 inch Samsung Plasma, so I am use to buttery smooth picture. I hope that the new 120hz + their custom motion tech shines through. I don't think I could handle the judders. Like I said I will be testing the set tomorrow and all weekend. Any suggestions on a good 120hz source for testing? I don't think my PC will be able to hit that with only 1 980 at 4k. I will blow the 1080p out, but 4k is another beast all together.

5. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    lol I bout a cheap hisense led smart tv "32 for the kids room and I was surprised on how good the picture quality is its actually really nice tv lol...

6. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    You can try this for testing

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

Also, see that you can select 120hz as a refresh rate from the Nvidia control panel under the change resolution page. As far as I know, if the display can really take in a 120hz signal natively then 120hz will be selectable from the drop down menu.

7. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    @VolkNasty - Did you get a chance to test out the TV?

8. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Sony XBR65X850B

uVSthem, Sorry for the wait my family grew by 1 last week so I've been occupied with taking care of the new born.

After a week or two with the TV I have the picture about as good as I can get it right now. First I had to start out with tilt and viewing angle. I needed to get that perfect otherwise the other settings will be worthless. Right out of the box I had my worries because I saw significant light bleed from all corners. Again, after I adjusted the wall mount much of that went away. So you could say the viewing angles aren't the greatest, especially looking up from under the set.

The TV has some great presets for the type of media being watched; there is Cinema, Sports, graphics, animation, pictures, and a few others. I have free reign over each preset and can adjust to where I see fit. The remote also has a football button which brightens the screen and bumps up the refresh rate.

Black Levels: Not a plasma, but doesn't feel/look like an LCD either. In a completely dark room the tv is a bit on the light side, especially the corners. The center of the screen (where we watch most of our content) is really nice and dark. What I found was that if I added in a little ambient lighting in the viewing room, the set took on an all new darkness which I love. So now I watch movies with some low level light near by and the set looks great and inky! I thought I would never say this but black levels are total non issue here.

Refresh rates: Unfortunately I am still unable to get a 120hz signal to the set because of my own limitations and not the set's. Secondly, I do see some stutter while watching TV. Watching animated films is where I see the most stutter due to the fact that its running under the animation preset (virtual 120hz +). If I set it to the cinema setting most stuttering goes away... MOST. I can't watch movies that are real time mixed with heavy CG (Avengers) at 120hz, its just to jarring. Now if the movie is fully CG or animated (Appleseed Alpha) 120hz is great and the detail really pops. So each movie warrants different settings pending on what kind of movie it is which is a drawback in my opinion.

4K: ****load of Pixels! This set makes everything look amazing (to a point). Seven out of ten times you will be blown away by crispness and detail... as long as the source material isn't coming from a 720p or below signal, live sports, or anything TV for that matter. Not the set's fault, but tv and low quality channels really look bad on this set. On the flip side, if it has a solid 1080p signal without a whole lot of compression this set is king. Yes compression kills @ 4k. Ill say it again, Compression Kills @ 4K. With that said I did some Netflix / Hulu 4k streaming and once it buffers you get some great views... HOWEVER, Netflix and Hulu "4k" streams are are actually UHD (3840 x 2160) and not true 4k (4096 x 2160), I am no expert but I think it has to do more with display ratios than getting screwed. Either way, the picture looks ridiculously awesome.

We are very happy with the purchase.

More to come, let me find a way to get a 120hz source to the set and I will answer your question. I will also get a bluray out and compare it to my compressed backup and take screenshots.

If anyone has any other questions I will do my best to answer them.

FYI: All my source content is coming from my Onkyo TX-NR-906 which is ISF certified.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  9. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Thank you for the update. Have you tried to watch anything in 3D on the set yet? I am hoping to use Nvidia 3DTV play with it.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Interesting thread as I'm planning on getting a new TV soon-ish myself, new home and all and my old 42" LG is getting a little long in the tooth. I will say that my next tv will be a 4K curved OLED, I've had a couple of chances to sit in front of a couple and I have to say I've not been so impressed with image quality for a very long time. If you've a local shop selling them, chances are they'll have them on display, and I highly recommend popping along to take a look.

11. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    The curved sets made both my wife and I nauseous. I also noticed a TON of glare coming off them. Those sets really need to be in a dark room with a set viewing angle. OLED still needs time in the oven and isn't ready for prime time yet. You won't find a curved set in my house.

12. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Yes it is really simple; all I had to do was click the 3d button and we were off to 3d land. I haven't tried native 3d content yet, Ill do that next. The virtualized 3d works better than I expected. The picture was bright and didn't suffer from any sluggishness. So I imagine that native 3d content is going to rock. When I get the house to myself I want to take a few pictures and Ill post them up here. Ill show all the 3d options and maybe a few other things.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The TV will be for my personal use only, so I'm not worried about that to be honest. If I'm watching something with friends/family it's generally a case of taking a trip to the cinema.

14. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    I think the curved display is better suited for being a computer monitor. LG has a new one out that looks awesome, I am just waiting for Gsync to be integrated.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm actually looking at LG's newest model, it's a beautiful piece of kit. I'd be using it as a personal screen which will be connected to a gaming PC with a Blu-ray drive, so think a higher end HTPC setup. I'll also have my better audio gear connected, so it'll be the perfect little escapist setup for me.

16. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I own the Panasonic AX800 and I love it, only TV on the market with displayport. I run 4K/60fps over that. If I need to do nvidia 3dvision or run 1080p I flip my input over to the HDMI cable, both are attached to my PC.

Tomb Raider in 3D looked amazing, as do all my 3D movies (Active 3D glasses).

Input lag is quite low (probably among the lowest especially for 4K screens), and the TV profile customization lets you apply settings such as game mode independently for each screen profile (I love this).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014