So i bought a FirePro card, I'm shocked.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by The General, Mar 9, 2017.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    So I move back to the red side again, last AMD card i had was a XFX HD 5750. Figure since I'm using a workstation Xeon CPU, i would buy a firepro card. I read before i bought it, read reviews about firepro cards and everywhere i read and look they said firepro cards "are not gaming cards and they don't performance like gaming cards. In fact i was a bit worry after seeing youtube videos on how bad they did perform and why every video i seen people were running games at low resolutions. So as usual i ignored it and bought it
    [​IMG]
    The memory is even higher than the 550 ti in dxdiag
    This card performs way better than my GTX 550 ti. :wanker: Every game i have install right now, mostly older games to mid games, latest one i tested was Paladins , to Omikron, Bioshock, World racing, Jericho, GTA 3, Shadow-verse, to advent rising works about 10x faster over my 550 ti. Interesting thing about Advent rising, when i was using my old rig q6600 and 550 ti, i would look into a different direction frames will drop to 19fps. Now with the rig I'm using now, it stays at 83fps doesn't matter where i look. Even bioshock runs around 100fps without a sweat. Well it does drop down to around 45-60 but stays there :) This is amazing, and i only paid 20 dollars for it. I just needed a card to keep me busy playing my older games and some mid games until i was able to buy a more up to date Nvidia card, which was going to be a 4GB 1050 OC EDITION. But i had no idea this firepro v4800 would perform like this. I think I'm going to stick with buying Xeons and workstation GPU's :banana: I haven't tested any games like path of exlie or paragon yet , but so far this card is amazing.

Just a note, i can't watch videos at 1440p. 1080p works flawless though. So not really a big deal. On my GTX 550 ti i could watch videos above 1440p with no issues, only if i use the 378 drivers. I am using the latest firepro drivers, but 1080p is all i can do it seems, which is fine. Oh and I have Morphological enable, it limits the framerate to 30fps with some of the games, but even though its at 30fps it runs smooth. I just like having Morphological enable, makes games look better. Oh and Marvel vs capcom 3 60fps with fxaa enable high settings at 1440x900. Not bad :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Can i ask, are you using it for server rig? Or what is the purpose?

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I bought it for gaming, because my wife is using the GTX 550 ti on the dell 745 i was using. So i was looking for a card under 30 dollars that didn't have a 6 pin connector and found the v4800. So the main purpose is for gaming, but anything else also videos, editing/modding.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I wonder how good is your OpenGL performance?

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB

Open gl version is: OpenGL version 6.14.10.13413 . I have about 30 games install ATM, I'm sure some of them are opengl related, no problems. Just tested Unreal GOLD in OpenGL with new textures, no problems. Deus ex no problems. Doom 3 max no problems, 50-60fps. Still testing games though, so far no problems with any of them. I can max out games easily without any problems. About to test sleeping dogs, Saints row 3 and Paragon in about an hour though, want to see how they run. :paranoid:

I'm sticking with workstation cards and cpu from now on lol.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Weird...
    Basically you have HD5670.
    Physically and perf. wise your chip is close to half of GTX 550 Ti.
    Memory is not "higher". Mem is also close to half of 550 Ti bandwidth.
    Something is, or was off.

[​IMG]

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

This

ie. 2005 Unreal Engine 2 game dropping to 19fps on 550 Ti, means something is/was way off with that system

I'm sure it would run perfectly fine on my Intel iGPU.

8. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    The only thing i figure when i had my old computer(HP MB, Q6600, 550 ti) i was getting a bottleneck somehow. Because using my Dell 780, and V4800+X3220, the game runs just fine. Its possible though, my PSU i was using which is a Thermaltake 430, maybe it wasn't enough to power the GTX 550 ti. Even though games like Sleeping dogs ran perfectly fine at 60fps at the highest settings at 1600x900. So who knows.

No I was saying the memory bandwidth was higher. I said the memory in dxdiag, when you click display it reads 2741MB. With the GTX 550 it, it reads 2730MB.
    I had a XFX 5750 and even that card didn't perform as good like my setup is now. Every game i tested so far, the V4800 out performs everything i played with using the 550 ti, it blows away the 5750 as well. I could never play games like i can now. I'm going to buy a Quad-Core X3360 next month and upgrade to 8GB of ram and that would be it for this system. :)

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That game ran well on my GeForce 6200 TurboCache ...

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If you have any IdTech 5 games, I'd be interested in the performance.