Afterburner massive problem :(

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by FJKGHOST, Apr 16, 2012.

1. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 540mGT 2GB
    Hi Guys !!!

3 days ago I overclocked my Nvidia geforce 540m GT 2Gb from 672mhz to 810 mhz. People said that this was an ideal overclock for the card and lots of people where overclocking at higher settings. The card performed much better and ran some of my games much more smoothly. The card seemed stable and only froze one time, this was a codec issue. However when playing COD MW2 today suddenly the textures became stretched, as if large mountain shapes were all over the map. My fps went down from a 80-120 fps to 10-15 fps, I exited the game to find that afterburner was limiting the core clock to 205mhz. Even if I applied different settings it still limited it to 205mhz. At this point I restarted my laptop only to find when it started up there was a blue screen error, it only flashed so I did not see it long enough to be able to state what it said, and then it instantly put me into system repair. After 50 mins the system had repaired however I noticed that afterburner had been fully uninstalled and that some of my widgets are not functioning correctly. I then installed the latest Nvidia drivers and the card works fine on mw2 now. It seems that I cannot find any other threads about the same problem and am perplexed as to what actually happened. I would love to overclock my gpu again as I was really benefiting the extra power in some games, so my question is what happened and am I safe to overclock again ????

P.S my GPU temperature never got over 75*c

Thanks, FJKGHOST

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I wouldn't overclock a laptop chip by that much. You are just asking for trouble.

3. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    In hindsight it would seem you are correct !!! Maybe I would be better off waiting a bit longer and buying a desktop gaming setup. However do you know what the problem was caused by ?? The GPU being too unstable ??

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Could be unstable but it could also be that it got too hot. You can't adjust the fan profiles at all so if the components get too hot, they shut down. Try running Kombuster or FurMark and see what happens.

I too have a 540mGT in my laptop and I also have Afterburner installed. I only use it for temp, and FPS monitoring though.

5. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    im not doing anymore oc'ing that for sure. Just ran speccy to qoute my specs to someone and it frooze completely apart from my mouse. I restarted and got the blue screen and then startup repair again, my gpu was not even overclocked when this happend just now. Im completely freaking out !! Ive done virus scans and nothing has come up !! wtf is happening ?????? thanks, FJKGHOST

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Load MSI Kombuster and run it for an hour at stock clocks and see if it freezes.

7. nisen

nisen Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD6770M 726MB
    Hey out of curiosity when the system repair started and it asked if you wanted to use a restore point, did you allow that? If you allowed it would be interesting to check a setting in your restore point saves.

in the windows box type "restore point", in that popup click configure and check if it has "turn off system protection" enabled, and see how much disk space usage is set aside. If its set to turn off system protection and has 0MB disk usage, using restore points totally messes with programs and files, basically uninstalls way too many reciently installed programs and moves non program files all over the place. Think it does other nasty things but not sure, just know its a nightmare dealing with and cause for further instability.

and yea the overclock sounded abit high, tho dont have first hand experience, When people online recommend those high numbers for laptop card overclocks, should allways take it with grain of salt, and do proper testing with programs like 3DMark06 3DMark Vantage 3DMark11 and Heaven to see if your particular overclocks yeild ANY onscreen glitches at all, like tearing, dots or colors flashing for a split second etc

and the heat issue also changes the stability issue without laptop fan control. Its just my two cents but dont see why you cant continue to overclock it with Afterburner, just make sure its very stable with those tests and listen for the machine getting particularly noisy to suggest when you might quit the game for a few minutes.

8. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    @nisen,

Yes it did ask me to use a restore point, and I did use it. When it turned back on afterburner had been removed too. This happend the same with speccy when it turned back on speccy was gone. I will look into the restore point thing as I totally think you are onto something, however not sure why it suddenly decided to play up tho when its not done it before 0o. I will be testing the GPU at stock clocks today and will also have a look at the restore point. Will get back to you later !!!! Thanks heaps !!!!! ,

FJKGHOST

9. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    Your first mistake was to overclock immediately to what other people were reporting.

Old school, we upped by 10 mhz and benchmarked to verify fps gain and no artifacts. Do that next time.

10. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    yeah homefry im a complete noob at overclocking I kinda had no idea what I was doing ahha :( its done so that its way more stable now, 50mhz overclock. It seems that this system repair thing was possibly due to windows software reacting to the GPU being unstable ?? So far it has not happend again and I have been playing BFBC2 and mw2 for roughly 2 hours. Thanks for the replys guys <3

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    How does BFBC2 perform on the card? I have BF3 installed on my laptop but even at low settings I barely get 30fps.

12. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    BFBC2 is ok, medium settings give me an average of 35 fps. However it will dip down to 15 when there is huge amount of action. Make sure you update your driver to the BF3 one for your card, this may help. Take a look at your graphics settings in game !! you do not want to be running on high settings or with high ambient occlusion and anostrophic filtering. The card is a medium end LAPTOP card so dont expect anything amazing. However if you are only getting 30 fps I would say there is something wrong.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No nothing is on high. Every setting is on low or turned off. The only map I get decent framerates is Metro.

I'll try installing BFBC2 and see how it runs. I'd like to play something more interesting/fun than Counterstrike on this laptop.

14. FJKGHOST

FJKGHOST Guest

GPU:
    Totally know what you mean !!! Overclocking really helped especially with homefront, went from 30 fps medium to 45 fps medium. So thats a huge gain in fps, however as described it did go wrong. However whether thats because the overclock was unstable or whether this ****ty startup repair program was making the software unstable is uncertain. I am inclined to think that its because of the software as I did furtest my gpu when overclocked and it was stable with not instabilities visually and no crashing. Temp wise I was never going over 75*C and ive played without hte overclock at 85*C with no issues (that temp was a bit high for my liking tho). How much ram have you got ?? also is physx set to your gpu or cpu ???? if ur cpu is very powerful use it to do the physx calcs as it will take some load off ur gpu.

15. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    My guess would be that oc would be chewing more wattage...
    Now add your CPU in turbo mode while gaming and the laptop PSU/Mobo power prob being strangled with the extra load.
    Power to the latop becomes unstable and your user acount ends up corrupted.
    eg: corrupted the loaded registry as a guess.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I have an Acer Aspire TimelineX. It has i5 2450m, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 540GTm.
    Physx is set to CPU. I'll give BFBC2 a shot tonight. I'm not gonna overclock my card though. I'm fairly happy with the performance and I won't be too disappointed if I can't play newer games on it. That's what my desktop is for anyway.

17. MrTriTanium

MrTriTanium Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB
    I have the Dell XPS 15 L502x with the same GPU.

The only games I play are Battlefield 3 and Play4Free (rarely). I have my GPU clock set to 815Mhz and the Mem at 1025Mhz using NVIDIA Performance Tools. I rarely have any issues with those clocks. Since the many patches of BF3, I sometimes get single-digit fps when a game loads, but decreasing the clocks by 15 and 25Mhz, respectively, returns the fps to a normal level. In my experience, any higher clock combonations used crashes the game while loading the multiplayer level. (I got to these clocks by upping the GPU values by 25Mhz and capping the Mem clocks at 1025Mhz, since game testing failed above 1025, and changing the GPU values by 5Mhz when I found the crash ceiling.)

On BF3, at 1080p and medium textures, while recording at 720p (90% MJPEG), I can eke ~22 fps on a 64-man Metro conquest server with spikes up to 40 fps. On the larger maps I can easily hit 60 fps but once I enter combat they go down to about 40.

On P4F, at 1080p and medium textures I get 100 fps continuously and recording with AB at 1080p ~60 fps. Before the lighting texture "addition" I had the same fps stated above on the high texture.

While playing BF3 oc'd, GPU temps as noted by AB hover around 90C. I have an external cooler that I ALWAYS USE while gaming that is almost the exact same size as my laptop's bottom. The temps are high, especially for a laptop, but I have been playing BF3 and P4F since their respective private betas and have no hardware issues with the rare software glitch.

Before AB added the audio capture option while recording I had ZERO issues between AB and BF3/P4F. After the audio addition and the many patches in BF3, it seems that most games I play and record crash my system forcing a removal of the AC adapter (don't use the battery while on AC power). I know that this paragraph has already been covered by Unwinder as a EA/EvenBalance issue, but it is worth noting since it is the only software issue I have.

This is my first post, I know, but when I stumbled upon this thread I thought I should add my 2 cents into the fray since it is so similar to what I have done... On a side note, my Lenovo Y580 has shipped and I will be giving my XPS to my siblings since their desktop is almost 5 years old and based on an AMD Phenom X3 8650...