Zotac Gtx980Ti Amp Extreme Fan Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Erai, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac Gtx980Ti AmpExtreme
    Hey guys,

I have this Zotac gtx980ti amp extreme card, and it has a fan problem.

When the gpu gets 60C, fans start working at %100 ( 3360rpm). When the temperature gets below 60C, fans turn to normal, but in couple seconds, they start working at %100 again. And the loop begins. It is really annoying due to sound. It is really loud i would say.

I tried to fix fans at %60. It works until the gpu gets 60C. After that card runs the fans at %100 again.

I tried to set up a user fan profile via Msi Afterburner, again it works fine until gpu gets 60C.

I tried all different bios's out there, but they didn't fix the issue.

For some reason card is acting weird after 60C which is not even that high temperature for this card.

I sent an email to the Zotac technical support, they replied at first, but after that they said they were gonna talk to the engineers about this, but never heard from them again for two days now.

I thinking sending the card to RMA, but also wanna try everything before i do that.

I am open to suggestions, thanks guys :)

2. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    you should RMA..it sound problem come from the card it self,maybe from production mistake..

when you purchase it ??

btw Zotac AMP-Extreme series is a good card

3. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    It looks like there are other people having the same problem with this card. I thing Zotac people are working on it.

But yes there is definetely a problem with card, cooler is not working properly, or temp sensor. I bought it like a month and a half ago. Otherwise i would definetly return it.

Thanks for the answer tho

4. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    did you have use Zotac card before ?? dii you had any issue or not ??

try to switch with other brand,they are plenty 980Ti card from various brand on the market right now and they more overkill&quality then AMP Ext Series.

You can get more cheaper price to..must read many review and forum before you decide to buy.:thumbup:

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Gaming 980 Ti is good, G1 (I guess.. though I wouldn't really buy it..), Super Jetstream,

Strix I don't know.

6. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to change the card's BIOS ?

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Said he's already tried different BIOSs. If there is a design flaw with that model of card they might be able to release a specific BIOS to address the problem, rather than RMA.

8. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    Actually i did read a lot of reviews before i bought this card, but problem started after a month.

And unfortunately i don't think i can return this item back to get new one. I can RMA it, but it takes a lot of time, so i think i will wait a little longer to see if they release a new bios fixes the problem.

But right now i am looking for a workaround until new bios comes.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why can't you return it? ofc you can, say it has an issue, that's it. they're bound to replace it.

10. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    I meant i can't return it and buy another brand.

Yeah i definetely to return it and get a replacement, but also i don't wanna wait like a month...

11. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    According to the Zotac USA website, you can only have 1 more year extended warranty if you register your product. Maximum warranty on a graphic card you can have is 3 years.

Anyway, they sent me another e-mail, they wanna replace the product. They asked couple information, such as invoice, serial number of the graphic card etc, i think they are gonna send me a replacement.

The question is will i need to send my product first, or is it gonna be a cross shipping. Hopefully the second one...

Update :

I am sending the card back to Zotac, they are gonna replace it with new one after they test this one.

And they don't do cross-shipping. So ***305; have to wait at least 15 days...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. Luumi

Luumi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Classified 4gb
    The 980ti zotac one seems kinda same failure as the 980 one. I made a mod guide on it at OCN but its not moddable easilly for very high voltages.