Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ralph, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Ralph

Ralph Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    [​IMG]

I really can't say enough good things about this game, but I will try to keep this as short as possible.

Kerbal Space Program is a game/simulation about building rockets and exploring space. Each part you add to your craft is it's own independent physics object, so different ships will behave quite differently depending on how the mass of your ship is distributed or even experience a catastrophic failure if things are not balanced correctly.

There are currently 6 planets to be explored and 9 moons. Their sizes range from a small moon of 13KM in equatorial radius to a giant (by Kerbal Standards) Earth sized planet with a equatorial radius of 6,000KM.

Kerbal Space program is far from being a finished game however, and it is in constant development, as great as the game is now, it will only get better with planned features such as: A tycoon style campaign, a weather system complete with wind and turbulence, a re-entry heat system, more celestial bodies to visit including asteroids, and more things to do with your kerbalnauts outside of the space craft just to name a couple. And in addition to all of the things being done by the fantastic development team, the possibilities are endless when you add the fact that KSP has a robust modding community that is continuously turning out great new addons and plugins to make the KSP experience that much better. So check out the free trial version over at kerbalspaceprogram.com or pick up the full version for only a few bucks.

Build modular space stations!
    [​IMG]
    Build unmanned probes!
    [​IMG]
    Send said unmanned probes to distant planets!
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention build modular space stations?!
    [​IMG]

EDIT (I'm super excited about this update) Release Version .22 has been available to the public for a couple days now and I must say, I really like it-

Career mode has made it's debut with the currency of "science points" which are earned through doing science and is used to purchase new tiers of a tech tree in the new R&D (research and development system). Though as a veteran player it's not as engaging for me- from what I understand it's meant for newer players to get a handle on the game so instead of starting with so many parts, they will begin with a handful of parts and progress from there and thus avoid being overwhelmed from the begging. BUT I am very happy with it, I'm playing around with it and using it sort of like an achievement system for myself, plus it's just fun to play this like a game with objectives than to impose the restrictions and objectives on myself.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I've been faffing with this. It's great fun.

3. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    seems very interesting. not sure if i have the patience for it atm though.

4. Ralph

Ralph Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    You don't need a lot of patience to play it, you play what you want and learn different things at your own pace. It's great fun, try the demo!

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My first rocket fell over!!

Hahahahha!!! Blew up on the launch pad..

Ohh my god this game is the best.

I need to learn how to take off..

xD

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'll give this a try...
    But wheres the link op?
    I can Google, but when promoting something, its a good idea to make it easy.

Here ya go :)
    https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I made it into outer space!!!! OMG i feel like I achieved something special lol.. I tell you what it sure is difficult making a spaceship that can get to this distance safely. I went through about 30 different variations of a spaceship.. most exploded.. some fell over.. some nearly got to outer space.. and finally!! I made one that works properly~!~!

[​IMG]

If you want something challenging and enjoyed things like Lego as a kid I highly recommend this game to you.. it is extremely fun..

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My first working rocket~ I can't quite figure out how to stay in orbit with this.. but at least I can get into space with it : O

[​IMG]

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    It looks like I'm not that smart to make rocket. I have the game since weeks but couldn't figure out how to enter the orbit. I keep drop to earth.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It took me a few hours and I looked up some tutorials on youtube~

It is pretty hard.. but it is fun :D

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Too many parts to modify..and hard yeah.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've been thinking about getting this for a while now. Perhaps this thread was just the push I needed to buy it.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    if u like this stuff, and have patience to learn and PLA the game. u may get it :)

14. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    It's a great game. I've made it to a few planets with rovers and landers so far. The game's own forums have a huge community.

Don't just build the biggest rocket you can. In general, less is more. Less weight being the reason.

The engines have different efficiencies (denoted by "ISP") in atmosphere and vacuum. Look at these and take advantage of them.

Do the orbit tutorial at least so you understand periapsis and apoapsis. Also, look up "kerbal asparagus staging" on youtube for a smart way to build ships that have to go a long way.

If you want to get to orbit, fly straight up until about 8000m. Then, start turning. Any direction. By 45-50k meters, you'll want to be pointing right at the horizon on the navball - the orbit tutorial should help you understand this.

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    thank you for your permission :)

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I actually stayed up until 2 in the morning playing this game.... lol.... A game hasn't sucked me in that much since the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R game was released.

What a fantastic game.

I am trying to build a flying jet that starts at the tip of a large rocket that can go into outer space, but can also fly in the atmosphere... IT IS VERY HARD..

xD

--------

I found this user on Youtube.. he has done some cool things >> http://www.youtube.com/user/Danny2462

This was also useful for me, the Keybindings for the game >> http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_Bindings

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    lol . nice one.

By the way, can u guys make a proper space ship for me to use? and send the file to me? i think there is nothing like that :(

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It's not as hard as you'd think. Learn to stage properly. You'll never get to orbit dragging too much rocket with you.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    So my first attempt the rocket got to about 30000m before spinning out of control. The little guy who I guess was my pilot looked like he was freaking out so I hit the EVA button thinking that just maybe he would have a parachute on him to get back to earth safely. Nope! That poor guy hit the ground HARD.

I got to space on my second try but it didn't orbit. I ran out of fuel pretty much the moment I got to space and then it was just spinning out of control.

The tutorial isn't as informative as I was hoping though. I found myself going to youtube for more info. But I've had fun with it so far.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Easy rocket:
    1 man command pod w/small chute on top
    [decoupler]
    ASAS
    small RCS tank w/4 RCS blocks attached to it
    2 of the biggest of the small tanks
    the rocket with thrust vectoring.
    [decoupler]
    small to big adapter
    2 of the huge orange tanks
    mainsail engine
    4 holdy things

staging can be tricky, but its much easier now than it used to be.