help me G3D! im out of ideas: fps drops, smoke effect, and unreal engine.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jihad4jesus, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jihad4jesus

jihad4jesus Guest

GPU:
    ati 5870
    im out of ideas.
    my frames drop miserably for the few seconds when smoke effects are rendered in two of the games i play the most: tribes ascend and apb.

machine:
    i5 @ 4.6ghz.
    amd 5870
    8gb ram (ddr3 800? @ default xmp settings)

edit to minimal gfx settings in both games? done
    install clean, new drivers? done
    reformat? done
    search/post in specific game forums? done
    force faster, low quality lodbias on even smoke effects (which are high res textures even when you select low gfx settings(?)) using ati tray tools? done

situation: max frames @ 125, game is solid. any effect that renders smoke, explosions, spray paints, smoke clouds etc, drops frames for the duration of the effect. frame drop depends on distance to effect - up close: precipitous drop, far away: minimal. otherwise game is solid.

after many months ive tried idea after idea after idea. nothing has worked.
    there are many people who get the same drop with smoke effects in the games ive described, but to presume they are all the same cause is ... presumptuous.

from irc, i got (anecdotal? unfounded?) notion that this may be ubiquitous, and if so then maybe agile minds in famed forums such at legendary G3D may have ideas.

i am about to drop some ~250$ for a near side-grade to an nvidia card just in hopes that i can throw (some) money at it till its fixed.

any other ideas? certain legacy drivers? some l33t h4ck setting? helpful voodoo chants? ill try anything.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Gonna need more evidence about what kind of drop and in what games. Exact FPS figures are good. Obviously, you should expect some kind of drop in most games, smoke is difficult to render compared to most things.

Transparency AA is also something to look at, make sure to turn that off.

3. jihad4jesus

jihad4jesus Guest

GPU:
    ati 5870
    how.

this is not an issue of just a drop by power of comp. anyone near my power doesnt drop this badly.
    its 125 solid down to what it says is 80 (using fps command), but its a slideshow for those few seconds so im guessing the fps command in Unreal uses some kind of averaging. either way my mouse input goes to **** so even if it is a drop from 125 to 80, its unplayable.

4. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    CPU and gpu TEMPS???
    sound like a proctection cpu intel, check the temps, check the coolers. another cause, maybe the psu.

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    can you post some screen shots of the 3d gaming settings in catalyst control center? there are a few settings in there can can cause very large fps hits.

6. jihad4jesus

jihad4jesus Guest

GPU:
    ati 5870
    andersondiaz:
    temps dont go high. it only occurs when smoke/particle effects are high. and happens the second they appear, and goes away when they are done. gpu temps never go above 55-60C in furmark. cpu temps dont go high either, ill go check hte temps to make sure.
    as for a power draw issue, how do i check? how do i even test? you think in these instances it just cant draw what it needs?

automatic: will do. anything to look out for?

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    in particular AA settings scattered through the page

8. [Drazio]

[Drazio] Guest

GPU:
    -
    -deleted-

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. [Drazio]