sli or crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nzweers, Dec 29, 2014.

1. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    What has better support, sli or crossfire? I like to play games the second they get released. I think sli, but never owned a set. I also find more often nvidia inspector fixes on forums if there is no official support, than amd profile settings.

Anyone, who experienced both camps?

2. jasonmvt

jasonmvt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm on two MSI 970 Gaming's in SLI currently in my main pc. I've had SLI 770s, 680s, 670s, 480s, 460s, 295s (quad sli), 8800gtxs (tri-sli), across 3 somewhat frequently updated PCs. I pickup most major games day one. In my opinion, this generation's drivers are a few steps backwards for release-date SLI support.

You can decide where to place the blame- Nvidia, developers, the next gen console ports, but i've been fairly unhappy this year when it comes to SLI on day one. COD, Middle Earth, Dead Rising, Evil Within, FC4 seemed to all have issues day one. But, when SLI works, it works really, really well now. Plus most games do eventually get a working profile.

All that said, obviously I love me some nvidia GPUs, and I'm still not planning to switch teams, so it's not that bad. The bright side is that 900 series is powerful enough to not suffer as much when running one card, especially if you're at 1080p. But if you're 1440p or higher, or want 120fps, i wouldn't count on launch day SLI.

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have recently switched from 290x Crossfire to GTX780Ti SLI and I have found there to be just as many issues form one to the other. The only difference is Nvidia generally updates there SLI profiles quite a bit quicker than AMD. Otherwise there is very little difference.

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Best thing is to go single card. Otherwise you can tweak with ccc too, and crossfire profiles. Seems to work pretty well tbh.

But yeah, single card. I would say.

5. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Just buy a one powerful and u are done, dont waste money.

Bye, Marcos

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I couldn't run 1440p at the settings I like with 1 card. Your argument is invalid to users like myself who wants high fps and higher than 1080 resolution.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    SLI seems somewhat the way to go for now since nVidia is sponsoring every recent AAA title.

Not sure about future but I doubt Developers/AMD will shape up their crossfire stuff.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I have two systems, one running a pair of 7970Ghz editions in crossfire, and my main PC running a pair of GTX 780ti's in SLi. You can pretty much guarantee that with most games if there isn't a crossfire profile available, then there generally isn't an SLi profile available either.

MultiGPU support seems like a bit of an after thought these days but as TK said to get acceptable frame rates at high settings/resolutions, SLi/Crossfire is the only way to go.

9. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Maybe multi gpu technology is flawed and we need a revolutionary change -a true gpu monster that doesnt use sli or cf -with twice the specs and mega super hyper cooling and extra power cables, not just 2 gpus glued together-, idk :D

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Do you have any first hand experience with muli gpus?

11. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    No, but I visit this place everyday and there is always a guy with a problem related to multi gpus and proper performance scaling.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Figured as much.