Auto Fan Control

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by XenonS, Apr 21, 2015.

1. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Hi,
    I'm playing some demanding games on a i7 desktop with NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS. This card has the reputation of showing high temperature curves, even in idle state it easily goes over 70°-75°.
    If I use the default settings of the card straight away, the GPU temperature goes up over 90° really fast, hitting 98° or even 99°. If I switch on the "Software-controlled" fan activity (in the Fan tab), without doing any other adjustments, the temperature during all the game remains well below 90°, I had a max of 86°.

So, the Auto Fan Control must be damn good, is that so? The less average temperature my card will produce, the longer its lifetime, or do I miss something? Maybe the increased fan activity will reduce the card's lifetime?

Thanks for your comments!
    XenonS

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wouldn't be too worried about the fan's life time, as I would worry more about reaching 99°C on the whole card.

What the fan controll does different is that it sounds like it kicks in earlier, not letting the temperature get to 98/99°C. That's essentially a good idea, I wouldn't want my GPU to run at that temperature.

3. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Hi fantaskarsef,
    thanks for your opinion. I have yet to test if this high temp (98°C) is due to that particular game, but I noticed that my card is set to 60% fan activity by default when I open MSI Afterburner without activating Fan Control. When I switch the fan control on and leaving it to Auto, I can clearly see in the graph that the temperature will go down, and this WITHOUT any demanding program running.
    My card drivers are up to date.

If the program helps that much reducing temp, I think I will make it run on Windows start maybe making a special setting for 'normal' , not intensive GPU operations (like opening a Word file etc.)

XenonS

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    For what it's worth, I have AB running on my current (old) rig too and it takes care of the fan profile for me, somehow I could not get it to work like I wanted and left it at auto, like you described.

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    couldn't figure out how to do a custom fan curve? your card should not go any higher than 75 in games if you want it artifact free and to last...but some cant stand the noise from those blower type coolers

Me personally would rather have my fan at 100% than reach that high of temp no matter what card i was using