Diablo 3 - nVIDIA Inspector, nVIDIA Control Panel and you

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RamGuy, May 14, 2012.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    The moment many of us have been waiting for is approaching, the release of Diablo III is just a few hours away and I have successfully installed the game client, launched it and checked all in-game settings, downloaded the latest GeForce drivers (301.34) and made sure nVIDIA Inspector is up for the task.

One thing I did notice though is that the default Diablo 3 profile is running "Antialiasing - Behavior flags" - Treat "Override any application setting" as "Application-controlled".

Is this a result of nVIDIA being pussies and just want to make sure no-one is messing up the Diablo 3 release with stupid anti-aliasing configurations or might there be some issues with forcing various anti-aliasing modes with the Diablo 3 client resulting in corrupt graphics and horrid performance?

Have anyone tried playing around with nVIDIA Inspector in the BETA? Should this option be left default, or will you try enabling some improved anti-aliasing modes through nVIDIA Inspector nonetheless?

While we are all waiting for the servers going online I would love to know which kind of anti-aliasing settings your are aiming for, what kind of performance you'd expect from those settings, which hardware you'll be running and what kind of anti-aliasing settings you'd expect to work the best with the Diablo 3 client.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Set Antialiasing - Behavior flags to none. Either use the in-game aa or aa/fxaa through inspector. In the beta I had AO, AF, and FXAA enabled through inspector. In game aa was disabled and everything else was set to their highest value. Clutter Density wasn't in the beta I don't think. But from what i've been reading about it, it will rape lower end cards with it on high or medium. It has something to do with the ammount of stuff that shows up on screen.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I messed about with the release version. Had antialiasing flag set to none, forced AO and AF (same as it was in beta so nothing new here). still get AA to work from inspector. ingame AA does a decent job, that's for sure but I wouldn't mind being able to mess about with settings a bit more.

4. Jraptor

Jraptor Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Nvidia 680 x2 SLI
    I ran the beta with everything maxed out. My son has a 580 and he was able to do the same, so you shouldn't have problems. There are allot of animals (rats, bats, etc) and flying debris and papers running or flying around, and I noticed on my older laptop that reduced settings filtered all that out. It still looked awesome.

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Stumbled upon some settings over at 3D Center:

Antialiasing Compatibility Flag: 0x004412C1

With this you should be able to force both 8x-16x MSAA and Transparency Supersampling through nVIDIA Inspector without many hiccups. It should work with Sparse Grid Anti Aliasing as well, but some have reported glitches here and there.

I'll be starting of with 8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA with that compatibility flag and see how it performance running 1920x1080 @ 120Hz on GTX 580.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    buggy for me, the whole screen just became a jpeg after forcing that compability flag, no more animations on the login screens any more :( still, the ingame AA does a nice job

7. Daba-8

Daba-8 Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 Direct CU II
    So which drivers are recommended for diablo3 any special beta release?

8. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think I would be able to install until tomorrow but it looks like I'll be able to actually play a little tonight at 11pm (est).
    As for drivers, I hope we see an official set tomorrow and that it allows us to at least force some transparency aa. This game is the reason i went all out on a monster lcd:nerd:

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I didn't get a new monitor for this but I did bring my 24" monitor closer to me on the desk. Actually makes me feel like I'm gaming on a 27+" monitor haha.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You mean 3am EDT :nerd:

11. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    dammit you're right. Got excited when I saw the 8pm on their site but now see that it's for some stupid launch party or something

lol eclap, that works and its much cheaper:)

12. Trigunflame

Trigunflame Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC+ 850/2000
    If you're going to force some form of AA, might as well do it up nice with traditional 4/8/16/32 + MSAA/CSAA.

1) Forcing FXAA via NV/Inspector applies the shader effect over everything on screen, including text - not good for games like D3 with loads of Quest Lore, Item/Spell Tooltips to read - unless you like the additional blurring.
    2) D3's in-game AA appears to be an FXAA implementation anyway, as such, unlike NV/Inspector it can selectively apply the shader effect and avoid the aforementioned issue.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Ah, good point. Then i'll just use the reg AA.

14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I just got long cable so that I can have my mic in front of the TV :)

15. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

It's working for me, but forcing 8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA made the entire game unplayable and the graphics got somewhat blurry.

I've got 60-120 FPS (normally around 60) on 1920x1080@120Hz with only the in-game anti-aliasing running on my GTX 580 with everything maxed out so it's seems like this game is draining a lot of performance on it's own without forcing any kind of anti aliasing in the first place.

Seems like the in-game anti aliasing is only sharder based, so I'll try getting 8x MSAA + 8x TRSSAA going and see how much that would affect performance and how much it will improve the picture quality.

16. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    No problem forcing 8x MSAA + 8x TSSAA using 0x004412C1, but my performance got stuck at 28-40 FPS which isn't good enough.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Why not try 4xMSAA and 4x TrSSA - I suspect you won't be able to see much difference visually anyway.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    how do you set 4x TrSSAA? I only see the option to enable it, not set the ammout.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    its the anti-aliasing transparency supersampling column

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sparse Grid Super-Sampling is known for making most Games Blurry just like FXAA. It's a problem with the Game Engine. It happens in Skyrim aswell.

http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm