Your WORST 5 hardware purchases!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by moab600, Nov 13, 2013.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    hehe the opposite of my other thread. list the 5 worst buys u could think off:

1)NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200/5500- Do i need REALLY to state why? :D:D

2)Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHZ- the cpu was kinda slow compared to that time, Athlon XP or whatever i had... i was really disappointed with it.

3)Creative SB Audigy SE-bought in 2008 to replace the realtek onboard, appears they had the same quality, which made the purchase a lol.

4)Verbatim mouse- ye design wise looked good, but broke after a week.

5)Geforce MX 4000- i though that would be a good card for gaming, well at least solitaire looked better :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Some nvidia fx 5000 version. Yuck
    Old school celeron sk 478?
    Seagate hard drives that keep breaking
    Windows me
    Pentium 4 williamette
    9800 pro good card meh drivers

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Now we're talking.
    1) beQuiet DarkPower Pro 1200W PSU - died, took my motherboard with it.
    2) beQuiet DarkPower Pro 1200W PSU - died, damaged my second motherboard.
    3) beQuiet DarkPower Pro 1200W PSU - damaged my second board further, then died.
    4) beQuiet DarkPower Pro 1200W PSU - made a horrible grinding noise, probably damaged the board a bit more.
    5) As much as I hate to admit it, Antec P193. Very quiet case but a pain in the ass to build with and actually quite cramped and poorly ventilated for something with so many fans and so large.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    A Storage Options Scroll Tablet

A Radio controlled helicopter which disappeared into the clouds on first take-off never to be seen again

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    eee 900, such a slow SSD it was barely functional in XP.

Asrock Ion 300, a capacitor inside it blew (and it happened to others best I could find), couldn't start up any more, still sits in my cupboard, big paperweight.

These two at least served their purpose for about a year each.

EEE Transformer, tegra 2 was terrible, couldn't do 720p videos, completely useless for my needs (and slower than my galaxy S2 at the time).

Sold the transformer at least.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    1 Nvidia 5200 - what an absolute POS that was( it came with a Dell i got back in the day )
    2 The Dell i got back in the day lol
    3 AMD 4200 - wasnt a bad chip, it was pricey and i got it 3-4 months before Core 2 came out which just destroyed it performance wise
    4 Asus P5N32E SLI mobo - blew 2 of these trying to overclock them, eventually gave up and plumped up for an EVGA 680i SLI mobo which had 0 issues overclocking.
    5 Ipod mini, died after 7 months infrequent use, forgot about it, before warranty was up i sent it to apple for repair, they sent it back saying it was completely fine even though switching it on just said harddrive corrupt, last apple product i have owned or will own again.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've still got an ASUS Transformer, a very talented XDA dev has kept it updated all these years, Im running 4.2.2 on mine, but he has 4.3.1 ROMs available and is working on 4.4

I can play 720p videos on mine with ease, stream 1080p youtube with ease

The stock ROMs were as useful as a punch in the balls, ASUS couldn't have released worse updates if they had hired monkeys to code them

Soon as I moved over to a custom ROM from this particular dev, it was like having a brand new tablet, the specs aren't that bad, it was the ROMs that were holding it back, just about everyone running this ROM has said they were considering buying a new tablet until they flashed this ROM, and now it's as good as and in some cases better than newer higher spec'd tablets

Plays the majority of the latest games fine too, quite happy with my TF101 and not looking to upgrade anytime soon

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This one is pretty easy....lol

GeForce 2 MX200
    GeForce 2 MX400
    MSI GeForce FX5600XT
    Visiontek Radeon 9600XT
    Biostar nForce520-A2

If it's design is like the Antec P180. The problem wasn't the lack of ventilation. It's that Antec chose the fans with the lowest possible airflow... I changed the fans in my P180 to a set of Xigmatek green LED fans and dropped all the temps in my case by 10C (think that proves how pathetic the fans Antec selected really were....)

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    • Nvidia fx 5200
    • Roccat Kave Headset
    • Gigabyte GeForce 7800GT
    • Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    • Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3

Not a single Gigabyte piece has ever worked for me. Not one!

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I don't really have any that either were not just bad luck duds or my own fault.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Puretrak Valor
    Razer Copperhead
    Razer Imperator

Otherwise, none really, I tend to really inform myself before I buy something and never cheap out (not that I always buy the most expensive part either though). The only thing I tend to buy on impulse are mice.

Most mice were OK or just good or didn't suit my taste but those 3 were just... oh god.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Fair enough, too late for me, sold it for this laptop, much more worthy purchase.

Plus my galaxy note 2 more than fills the screen gap.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What didnt you like by Copperhead?

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    All MSi motherboards (had 3). They just all had to go into "black screen of death" and me reviving them for days.

Other than that I enjoyed all my hardware purchases.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I would have 100% agreed with you while I was on stock, I turned the thing off for months because it was almost unusable - 20 seconds of use > random reboot > leave the thing in sleep mode > Sleep of Death

I was going mental with ASUS on their FB page, joined by hundreds / thousands of others with identical problems and their solution was to drop support for it and pretend like it didn't exist any more

16. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    Interesting thread. For me GeForce FX5700. The reason why I am listing this isn't because it was a crap card, it actually was not that bad. It is because I bought this to replace my Ti 4200 LOL I know this is gonna sound stupid but the main reason why I bought something from the "fx" line is because, well not sure if most of you know but this was not long after NVIDIA bought out 3dfx and so the "fx" line of cards was to represent this fact. And me being a die hard 3dfx fan, well, I just had too lol
    heck, even today if something had 3dfx on it I would probally buy it heh...

Another crap buy I did was buy a KDS CRT 19 inch monitor. Thing sucked and the switch on the monitor died after a year. I used to have to mess around with it to turn my monitor on. Sometimes took me 10 mins sigh...I have a few CD-ROM drives that I bought that did not last more then a few months but I think everyone here can claim that.

17. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Well surprisingly none of my hardware died an early death, i was the one tinkering with them all the time, specially graphics cards!
    My asus xonar was faulty so got it replaced :)

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I had a Rosewill case before that was pretty sucky, but other than that not much comes to mind. I guess my worst experience was my ASUS motherboard (don't remember the model). But it had a really random fault that drove me insane.

19. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    HTC EVO 4G.

Terribly designed. Camera stuck out further than the back of the phone causing the lens to become badly scratched over months of use. USB port broke (known fault) and generally slow

20. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    1. Raidmax Aztec - horrible case. Dreadful. Sh!tty airflow is just the tip of the iceberg.

2. The PSU that came with that Aztec case. Took my mobo and gtx 260 and it was still breathing.

3. My GTX 460 1GB.
    -it killed off from reviews here within about 4 months of me buying
    -There were duplicate listings on NE when I bought mine. Mine was one that didn't include 90 day step up program or a long warranty. I would have been able to step up to the GTX 560 Ti. This is a reason I may not buy EVGA ever again. I feel like I got scammed on that one.

4. Asus Arctic square cooler. I wasn't in the game long enough to understand what a good cooler was yet.

5. Razer Lycosa - Razer drivers are worthless. Will never buy Razer again. EVER.