CPU+MBD Upgrade - Non K & H270 - please advise

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by slayer213, Mar 6, 2017.

1. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    hey all, i recently upgraded to a Zotac GTX 1070 as my MSI GTX 770 died out. there is obviously a huge performance boost with a 1070 but i feel my CPU is holding my rig back.

i am looking to upgrade my cpu+mbd but will not be Overclocking at all. so i am only looking at the H170/270 series and a i7 non-k processor. can you all please help me pick the best options out? also, there are a few other things I am looking for in the new board:

1) CPU - i7 6700 or 7700 - which one?
    2) motherboard - h170/h270 as i would not be OCing. Most of the good stuff is on z170/270 boards but i feel i would just be paying more for a board which i would not overclock so I would rather save that and invest on h series. Also, I need the following on the board:
    a) 8 SATA ports (i usually find boards with 6 SATA ports but that won't cut it as i have 8 devices to hook up from my existing rig)
    b) USB 3.1 support

my current rig:
    i5 3.4 ghz
    benq 144Hz monitor
    zotac gtx1070
    asrock h77-mvp-pro

thanks in advance!
    Slayer

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Hey.

I can vouch for your feeling, was kinda in the same situation, changed my videocard to a 1070 from a R9 280, felt like my CPU (the same as yours) was holding me back, so I upgraded it, and even though this I5 is not SO old, there clearly was bottleneck involved seeing the AMAZING boost I got from the CPU. (to be fair I went also from 1333mhz ram to 3000mhz, that helped too)

Anyway first, what do you plan on doing with your rig ?

And may I ask why you rule out overclocking ?
    As said numerous times around here, the I7 7700K is only like 30€ more expensive than the I7 7700, but overclocking it is really easy, and don't put too much pressure on your rig if you stay reasonable. This can give you a lot of performance as well as "future proofness".
    Plus, you have a 144hz monitor, this extra performance might come in handy !

It feels like nowadays overclocking is pretty standard.

Answering these might help us making you choose the right path.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB

Thanks for your reply, mate.

I plan mostly to use it for gaming. Other than that, my sys runs 24/7 as i download a lot. I live in a hot area and that is one of the reasons why i wouldn't want to overclock apart from the fact that it involves a separate cooler (air/water) for it so there is the cost element to it. I just want to buy the best parts for my pc and be done with it - thereby you see no SLI and neither a k processor as I do not have the time or the money to invest in it.

Apart from Call of Duty Black Ops 3, which gave me horrible performance after upgrading my gfx but mostly due to the fact that it is poorly optimized CPU-wise and has a memory hole, i have yet to see any issues with any other games. Played MGSV: Phantom Pain & it ran like butter all the time. Currently playing Mad Max and runs great as well with 100+ fps all the time. Not sure if i really need a CPU upgrade and I am most probably gonna be doing the wait & watch with some more games but just in case if i do, i wanted to look at my options.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    If you're not too much in a hurry since you can play your games with good performances, I think you should wait for the launch of Ryzen, the prices of intel CPUs might drop (and it might give more options).
    I'd go for a 7700 over a 6700 anyway, if the price difference isn't too much.

About overclocking, since you're in a hot area as you say, you will need a decent CPU cooler no matter what, so I think it might be worth it to still go for a 7700K, even 4.4ghz will be an improvement for a 144hz monitor, and the temps won't be much different from stock clocks.
    Even if you can't overclock right now, in the future, instead of buying a new CPU, you could just get a really good air cooler, or an AIO water, and pump up that CPU frequency, and be done with it. Cheaper than buying a new CPU/mobo combo.

But again that's my opinion.

If you definitely don't want to overclock at all, then a 7700 is a good choice, for the motherboard go for the cheapest one with the ports you need and with highest ram frequency compatibility you can get. I guess it would be the most efficient budget/performance-wise.

5. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I had the same question as you did back around this time last year... should I go for the 4790k or the 6700k and I end up getting the 6700k instead.

If it were me, I'll probably go for the 7700k just to make sure it will last few the next few years. Also, Microcenter has the i7 7700k for $299.99 and if you pickup a comparable motherboard, you can save additional $30.

They also have the 6700k for $279.99 and the 7700 for $289.99.

Give them a try. Oh yeah, I don't really OC much either since there really isn't much benefit except chasing benchmarks score. My next purchase is a 1060OC card and I should be pretty complete for a few years. :)

6. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    the problem with getting a k proc is having to buy a separate water/air cooler which is gonna up the overall cost a lot. add to it, the extra cost of getting a z270 board and it goes beyond my budget. considering i might never OC, is it still worth it?

the other problem i am facing is not able to find a decent h270 board which has at least 8 SATA ports and usb 3.1. i could only find these 2 Z270 boards which meet these requirements but i would hate paying more for a Z series when i would be going for a non k processor:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270 Extreme4/index.asp#Specification
    http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-SOC-rev-10#sp

i understand amd ryzen might push the intel procs down but still in a dilemma over what to get.

7. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Then if your budget is the issue, indeed it might be better to go for a 7700 then. The thing is if you're going for a 7700K + aftermarket cooler + Z270, you WILL be oc'ing at some point (even if it's not much), that's the point of getting this, even in your situation, as I stated before, you don't need to oc right away, but later, when you feel the need for extra power, you won't have to spend a single dime to get it.

But the choice is yours anyway, I've just given you my opinion !

Have you checked the Z170 boards ? There might be some that fit your criteria, they could be cheaper as well (you just need a BIOS update to run a Kaby Lake on those it seems, take a look at what's said on internet).