Having trouble logging in with Firefox.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by MrBonk, Jan 27, 2017.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    All of a sudden out of nowhere today, I am having issues logging in with FireFox.
    Using the 64-bit release. And when I try to login, it will act as if the login was accepted. But then when the page refreshes, it auto logs me back out as if I didn't log in at all. I can't figure out for the life of me what the issue is.

Chrome works just fine. Neither website gets a HTTPS connection and isn't secure. I don't imagine that's the issue. But when I look at the cookies on FF, it says something about the cookies only working over encrypted connections.

I've tried clearing all the cookies. And nothing is working. Did I break something lol?:stewpid:

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    does your firefox able to store the cookies? Can you log in to other sites?

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    yeah not having issues with other sites.

Though I can't test another site that uses Vbulletin. Can't think of any other forum i'm a member of that uses it.

4. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I have this exact problem, but only on my Windows install. Can login fine on my Debian install which is what I'm using now. I did find that if you open a new private window then I was able to login ok. Not entirely sure what causes it, thought it might be a plugin such as ghostery or ublock but disabling them made no difference so I'd be interested to hear if anyone as any ideas?

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hm. I have Ghostery, but it's not enabled. Strange, opening a new Private Window/Tab DOES work for me as well.

Weird.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I just updated to the latest build and it's working perfectly fine on my end.

We did stop actively supporting FF though as with each update they seem to break something. But yeah, no probs on this end.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah, would that explain why I get weird forum corruption only on G3D?

I have to refresh the page sometimes twice to get it to load correctly fairly often

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Again a no, I have no issues with the current build at all other then I find FF to be very slow. I do not see how FF would corrupt things other then you having a bad connection with packet-loss to the forums or something.

I just browsed like 25 pages with FF 51.0.1 without any issues and logged in and out a couple of times. I am not a fan of FF though, Chrome all the way baby :nerd:

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Tried moving over to Chrome so many times, always the addons push me back to FF, Chrome has similar / same addons, but they don't work as well as the FF ones IMO, the ones I use regularly anyway

I have Chrome installed, and am constantly switching to it to see if I can move across, it is way faster definitely

Yea not sure what's up, it fails to load the thread, stops halfway through a post, or does things like this lol

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5384862&postcount=1070

EDIT - And this

[​IMG]

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Packet-loss on your node, I can't even do a reverse trace to your IP.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could that only affect Firefox though?

Using Chrome now and it's fine, I`ll keep using Chrome today and see if it happens again

EDDIT - Just got a blank white page instead of a thread with Chrome

OK so any ideas how to solve this, or is it an ISP thing?

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Chrome is a bit more flexible/dynamic? I know that FF simply stops loading and will sit around and wait if it can't fetch something for whatever reason, Chrome just continues and displays and likely fetches more from caches.

Give Chrome a try, honestly once you switched it's hard to go back. But hey, each his own preference of course.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Definitely an ISP thing. I remember you reporting similar stuff in the past. You are not on wireless ?

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No, I'm wired to a router running DD-WRT, and yea I can vaguely remember having similar problems before, but it would have been a different router back then, but also running DD-WRT

Could DD-WRT be causing it? / Setting I need to change in the firmware?

Trying my hardest to switch :) Main (minor but major to me) issue is speeddial addon, I use it hundreds of times a day, Chrome has a few but they're all pretty rubbish and can't be set up like the FF version

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If wired, doubtful it is a LAN issue. I'm suspecting packet-loss from your ISP.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's possible, I'll give them a shout, see if they can see anything wrong

Cheers

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Strange. I've never had corruption or issues with stuff loading on Firefox. Everything was smooth sailing until yesterday.

Wonder if 64-bit is the issue? I'm using 51.0.1 (64-bit).

I'll try redownloading the 32-bit version, see if anything changes.

I don't care for Chrome much. (Though it seems to work with Youtube videos much better than FF. Which always seems to have issues buffering high resolution videos.
    However, I don't have an SSD on this PC. And the mechanical drive is starting to get slower it seems. Not fragmented, but less than 20% free space.

I'm gonna change that here soon and see if that makes the difference. I don't think my old 1st gen i7 should be much issue.

If I have to, I won't mind using chrome to view Guru3D.

Edit: 32-bit does the same. Wonder if there's some hidden setting I messed up. Everything else seems to work fine though..

Guess i'll just use Chrome from now on for this.

EDIT2: OK, so I think HTTPS everywhere may be causing the issue... suppose I will disable all the rules for Guru3D.

Wonder if it might be one of the ad carriers throwing it off. But i'm not going to enable ABP as a solution for this site.

Hm. Disabling all the rules that are applicable to the site still cause the log in to not work. Wish HTTPS everywhere let me white list a site.

If I disable it completely it works fine. HTTPE hasn't been updated in forever it feels like.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    No issues with latest FF here.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HTTPS everywhere is known to cause issues with the website. At one one point they changed something and it went belly up. Unfortunately it is nothing we can alter or change on this end.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Alright, thanks for the help and communication. I'll just stop using HTTPSE. It's caused issues for me with other sites in the past as well. I'll just try to make it a habit to manually type HTTPS :p