How long will my CPU survive?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Angrycrab, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    My cpu Is currently clocked at 4.6GHz @ 1.322 volts and was wondering If those volts are too high and will degrade my chip over time.

Currently I have my voltage settings on adaptive which drops both clocks and voltage as low as 800MHz @ 0.717v on Idle. And my temps are under 60C on load while gaming.

2. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Are you saying that 1.322v is as high as it ever goes ?
    Or that 1.322v is the setting in bios ?

I ask because adaptive can use considerably more than the bios value.

3. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    At the bios It's set at 1.320 adaptive and I'm getting 1.322 on CPUZ and HWMonitor and yes that's the highest It would go to under load.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    1.32v is withing reasonable. Considering its not running 24/7 on max usage, it should be safe.
    Watch out for temperate, high temps will hurt your CPU much more than voltage.

You need OC to get more frames?

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit

Awesome. Well my goal Is to get as much frames as possible for 4K gaming with this card well until the new 1080Ti gets released which should provide a significant boost. Currently my temps are around 60C while gaming so I'm not worried about that It's just the voltage which Is making me a bit concerned.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The only sure way I found of reading the voltage being used is with ASUS AI suite.
    (or as good as you can with onboard measurement)
    Everything else seems to read VID not voltage used and can be wildly different.

What are you monitoring temps with?
    MSI Afterburner is a great way to graph CPU use and temps and gets the temps correct.

7. 4K gaming is never limited by CPU, even with TitanXP. Your goal is pointless.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

On Haswell you shouldn't go beyond 1.35v and you should keep temps under 85°C on PKG, but I know few guys who running well above 1.35v vCore(friend running 1.45v on vCore and still temps are very reasonable at 82°C on PKG in stress tests)

Just keep eye on System Agent and cache voltage and temps, you don't want to hit 90C in any benchmark or any stress tests, personally I like to be in 75°C range on PKG

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Never tried ASUS AI suite I might try It when I have some spare time. I am using afterburner to monitor temps It's great.
    Thanks.

Cool I don't plan on going any higher than 1.35v tbh. And my temps are under control.
    Thanks for the reply.

I never said that 4K gaming Is limited by CPU. I'm trying to squeeze as much fps as I can out of my system and many games out there are cpu bound that require more cores and higher clocks to perform better.

10. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I've got my Sandy Bridge at 1.4v for 3 years. It doesn't go beyond 80° (max core temp) in Linpack test and it has never shown any symptom of electromigration.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good you should be set.

If your 4k monitor is 60hz, you still should be able to play games on 60fps without overclock. But yeah, if you think you getting more stable frames with OC, its up to you.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    HWiNFO64 is the only other software that shows me the actual voltage. I did all sorts of tests with c-states, turbo, eist and BCLK while trying to get accurate voltage readings. CPUZ, CoreTemp and a few others I can't name right now were always reading VID but HWiNFO64 shows the proper voltage.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Handy to know cheers.

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    You cant really game @ 4k . Youll get crummy FPS like 30fps or lower on avg.

Cards arent ready for 4k gaming res... If you think your going to get 60fps like you do @ 1080p your wrong. I get 1fps @ 4k so Im guessing you get 30fps which is low and laggy and theres big drops. RTS and RPG games might do better. But as for FPS games, you will see how much slower it is at that resolution. Thanks

15. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    probably about 30 years
    sry :(

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Eh, don't know why people here say 1.32v is perfectly fine. It isn't. You *will* see degradation over time. How much is anyone's guess, but it will happen. Could be two years, could be five, could be 10. Depend on your chip. But at some point you will need to lower clocks or raise vcore even more to maintain stability.

There are no guarantees as to the longevity of each chip. Just because many people run 1.4v for over five years doesn't mean there are not people who ran 1.3v and had their chip go unstable after only two years...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  17. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    You can drive that rig to the ground for another 30 years like the guru said. But you won't because you will upgrade way before that.