CCleaner reporting non-existing extensions as enabled and un-removable!

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by wingclip, Mar 2, 2017.

1. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Hi folks,
    I just discovered that CCleaner is displaying some, (if not all), extensions/plug-ins in my Google Chrome browser startup section as enabled and yet some, (if not all), do not exist in the computer.

Long story short; I have acquired 18 extensions/plug-ins in my Google Chrome browser that I: A; didn’t download, B; didn’t install, C; don’t want enabled.

The problem is that when I disable one or more via CCleaner, a dialog box opens stating that it must close my Google Chrome browser. I click “okay” and the browser closes and when I open it up again, that same extensions/plug-in is enabled!

In the last 3 days I’ve been running malware and antivirus processes in an attempt to disable them and shut them out. Then today, I had CCleaner create a text list of all these Google Chrome browser extensions, (“save as text”).

I decided to pick one of these persistent plug-ins, “Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.4 50.14”, (a very old Java plug-in), and hunt it down.

The list gave a specific place that the Java plug-in (as well as a 2nd) were located. I was surprised to find that they did not exist anywhere in the computer.

I haven’t yet checked the remaining 16 but I’d like to know why CCleaner is indicating extensions and plug-ins that don’t exist, as enabled?

Actually, that’s not exactly true… What I’d really like to know is how disable them and/or get rid of them. I really don’t care why CCleaner is doing this but then again, finding out why may explain their appearance in the first place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? While I was writing this, I just thought of one that I may try while I’m waiting for replies. I’m going to go ahead and remove CCleaner and then reboot and reinstall it.

If anyone is wondering, I do have the latest versions of CCleaner and Google Chrome installed.
    Thanks, Rich

2. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi wingclip,
    Try these things http://www.revouninstaller.com/ https://www.voidtools.com/ https://cyberfox.8pecxstudios.com/

3. wingclip

wingclip Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    LOL, thank you Sabbath! In fact, last night I was about to push the "panic button" and buy Revo. The payware version had the options that seemed to be what I most would've needed.

But I came to the conclusion that this issue was not a "master genius hacker" and I was not attacked by some twisted megalomaniac with a diabolical plan to take over the world, one person at a time, (stating with me!) LOL.

(You think that may be a sign of extreme self importance and narcissism?:infinity:)

Anyway, I became convinced this was a combination of two or more program update screw-ups and/or accepting a request to allow some tacker to follow me around and then bombard me with ads of things they thought I should buy...

I first took screenshots of all my msconfig Services & Startup status's, (stati?),and configurations, and the same two panels in my Windows Task Manager.

I then took screenshots of my settings and selections in my Internet Options/Internet Properties/Advanced panel. With those saved and printed out for my imediate reference, I finally, booted to safe mode and removed CCleaner,

Then I reinstalled it and the 18 extensions were still active, (even though a minimum of 5 weren't even in the computer... anywhere in the computer).

Then I removed Google Chrome in Safe Mode and I followed that with a immediate Ccleaner registry fix/clean operation, (in safe mode and again in normal run mode).

Then I rebooted to safe mode again and went through the registry manually, searching for entries with names like Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, etc., etc. Of course, I searched out Google Chrome entries that clung on after the browser removal.

There were only 3 or 4 left behind after the actual browser's removal. (Of course, these registry strings were all backed up and several other precautions were taken before I did any of this.)

I then re-installed Google Chrome and carefully picked and chose which options I would enable and which I wouldn't after reading each option carefully.

The reason for writing procedure in detail, (and yet I still left out at least 50% of the process I followed), is to give you, (or anyone who cares, an idea as to why it took me so long to do this! :3eyes:

However, at about 1:40 AM CST, I rebooted and opened Chrome and CCleaner to find that IT WORKED!!!!:banana:

I probably could have skipped the entire CCleaner removal/install steps because I'm pretty sure this was all in Chrome's court. However, I knew if I tried to take any short cuts and skip over any possible culprits, (no matter how unlikely), and I failed, I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

I would have ran all of it through my mind as I laid there. I'd start second guessing myself and my procedure and on and on it would go. So I was as meticulous and ridiculous as I could be, screenshots and all.

However, those screenshots will come in very handy because certain selections that I chose not to accept when I was re-installing Chrome, would need to be enabled when I found some features in the search engine wouldn't respond if I didn't.

I can compare my previous settings with what I have now and quickly deduce what to do, (or at least, have a better idea).

If thee's anything left I need to do, (and I'm sure there is), it'll mostly have to do with cookies and certain types of pop-ups that I need to permit/enable.

Basically, what's left is the kind of things that I'll find and adjust as I come to them in my day to day operations.

Thanks again for your suggestion/s and I'm likely to buy Revo in the near future anyway. It sounds like a pretty good program to have around.

Please excuse my attempt to lighten all this with sarcastic humor:eyes: but if I don't laugh, then what's left?
    Rich
    PS please consider this issue resolved:)

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Good stuff. Yes computers are nice entertainment systems. But when they don't want too play nice they are pain in the ass.