GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Waiting for the Strix to get back to stock at amazon, then I'll get two of those... dammit, between me putting them onto my wishlist (wanted to check something else), and trying to buy them less than 5 minutes later, the last two samples were sold. :bang:

Checking availability now every hour or so, it states 3 to 5 weeks... :cry:

[edit] I was curious and checked amazon.com. The card is €100 cheeper over there. EU customers are nicely screwed every time when it comes to computer hardware...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
  3. draugr

draugr Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC AC+
    has anyone managed to push his gtx 980 above 1550mhz on air?
    thanks

4. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i was close... before i waterblocked my cards, i managed to push em to 1541/8000 on reference coolers

5. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mine's limit seems to be around 1554MHz, but it's unstable at 1560, so I knock it down to around 1530

7. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    I Set AB to 262 Core and 501 in Mem Anything over that I start to drop fr's

Core clock1,399 MHz
    Memory bus clock2,003 MHz

Boost was around 1526

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  8. draugr

draugr Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC AC+
    ok, it seems 1600mhz is close to impossible on air.
    My 980 HOF can't go higher than 1550mhz on the core, 2ghz on memory with +37mv which is frustrating because temps still remain quite low (below 65°C)

9. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess the 1600 are hitting physical boundries, like voltage and temperature as well as general power target. I'd like to know how hardmodded 980s perform...

11. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

yeah. i tried at near 1600mhz, +87mv and 125% PL and would tdr. in MSIAB it hit max 125%. if it could be raised higher, maybe it'll work.

This was in SLI. both cards were 1.25v & 1.23v
    I'm gonna try the top card @ 1600mhz since it can do more volts.

Max i got in SLI was 1541mhz/8000mhz.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hope to get up to 1500 with my SLI system, probably a bit higher if the cards allow it. Would feel like having two average clocking cards, I hope they'll do fine.

13. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i think u will def get over 1500mhz, especially if u get the custom pcb models. my cards are reference ones.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hope so, they'll end up under water once I've done some air overclocking to see if I can even make it to 1500. That might help with some 50Hz or so, but if I can't get past 1450 on air I'd be a bit disappointed, not expecting much better clocks under water. Am I right to assume such a behavior?

15. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

i think u should reach more underwater compared to air. I assume reason being is that the full cover waterblock would also cool down vrm and memory better than air thus pushing em further to achieve a stronger OC.

My 770 lightnings has vrm temp monitoring in AB.
    They didnt get very hot when i had them on air.
    When i slapped a Waterblock on em, the vrm temps would reach as high as the GPU core (40c-50c on vrm and gpu). I was able to get at least 80mhz on the core ddue to the watercooling.

hurry up and get ur X99:D

Edit: So you are gonna go SLI?
    If you have the money, go for it.
    If not, go for a 980 and get a Gsync monitor. This way you dont need to worry about needing enough performance to achieve nice frame rates.

For me SLI 980 is overkill with the monitor lol. but i bought the cards and waterblocks before the monitor :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015

16. shadow85

shadow85 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 STRIX OC (SLi)
    Hey guys I have 2x MSI GTX 980 Gamings and I was gona sell them and hold out for possibly 2x AMD 390X but it seems that is even further away now.

So I was thinking of just grabing another GTX 980 Gaming and run it 3-way SLI, as I need a lil more power to run games at good frames @ 4096x2160.

But I have a Corsair AX860 PSU, was wondering is this enough juice for 3x 980's or should I upgrade to atleast AX1200i?

Also running a i7-5930K @ 4.2 GHz is this enough to releave any bottleneck?

All this is inside a Luxe case, will I experience any heating problems with a 3x MSI 980 gaming setup?

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yep, already ordered everything including two 980 Strix cards, will test them under air, and then put the water cooling inside once I know the rig is running and cpu and gpus aren't total lemons :p
    I actually planned to go with the Swift too, but the price, and even more, the problems some users have with it scared me off. I might wait a bit and stick to my 1080p cheepass noname monitor at first, and see what that Acer 1440p/144Hz/Gsync thing can do once it comes around in 1H 2015. And, of course, how pricey it is, and how the build quality is. I'm not really in the mood to go through RMA with a 750€ monitor tbh.
    The whole idea behind this build is to hold out some time again, not investing money until whatever comes after Pascal / what AMD has at the time. Can't wait to play my first round of BF4 with more than 50fps max... :D

I'm not sure about your PSU, but I think it could work. I am getting the AX1200i just in case though, I thought it has headroom for overclocking, possibly adding another 980, or just hovering around in the area of best efficiency while under load with the system as it will be.
    I think your 5930K will be able to feed even a threeway 980 SLI, but maybe I'm wrong... someone with more experience in SLI should confirm or dismiss this please.
    Inside the Luxe it won't be super cool, but with the right case ventilation you should be able to have it running. Can't say much about 390Xs though, but I guess they'll be giving off more heat than a 980. Just a guess though.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Why don't you just keep these 580GTX until GM200 gets released and then get 1x GM200? Shouldn't be thaat long now and much much better upgrade.

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, like I said, it would take about half a year, and to be honest, mostly it's just I don't want to wait any longer. It's not the most rational thing to do, and of that I'm well aware, but I don't want to wait another 4 to 6 months to build my rig, I've already been postponing it for a year now. And I've learned, there's always something interesting around the corner waiting to drain my wallet :D

I'll go with the 980 SLI, I'm fairly sure I'll see a decent performance boost from where I'm coming, and with pascal there'll be another Titan on 16nm, and that one might be something I'd upgrade too.

All in all, it's not the optimal upgrade path, but I think it'll work out for myself. If I wouldn't be hitting dips below 30fps or having to reduce iq on a regular basis to play contemporary games, I might have waited, but I see my performance degrading, so I think it's valid to upgrade with what's present.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well Im just saying because you were a bit "worried" to over pay too much @ x99 system

and that's exactly what will happen when you buy 2x980gtx, overpaying at least 300€.. Why dont you get just 1x 980GTX then and sell when GM200 arrives?