Which PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jmpnop, May 13, 2013.

1. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
  2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Yes it it, i actually have the version 1 of that one for about 3 or 4 years and i'm pretty happy.

3. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    if you do decide to go SLI- that 750W should be fine. if you dont think you will go SLI you do have room to save some money and drop to a 600W psu.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice price.

How ironic.....:3eyes:

5. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    How is that ironic?

@ jmpnop

There's a Shell Shocker on an XFX 650W semi modular. Only $40 AR, sick deal. It's 80+ bronze, but it has the cables and the power for almost any dual GPU setup, especially considering you don't really OC. And you're unlikely to go SLI/CF anyway, so I don't see the point in blurging $60 more on a 100W more powerful unit.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you don't run your machine 24/7 nor running heavy tasks, I'd suggest to drop to bronze TX Corsair.

I was thinking about getting SLI or crossfire and bought this 850HX monster. I don't even use half of it, yet HX is more electricity usage efficient.

If you after saving, I'd strongly suggest to go with 650TX.

No really need to get dirty with SLI or Crossfire. There plenty of strong single GPUs around.
    I am pretty sure 650W would be enough for holding overclocked CPU and decent GPU.

7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    sverek, the XFX unit I linked is performance-wise identical, but $30 cheaper, semi modular and has more PCIe cables. Absolutely zero reason to go with an outdated TX650 V2.

8. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I had Corsair TX 650 and 750 in mind, is the XFX one better? I'll be using this PSU for my next build, 650W should be fine in case I decide to OC CPU/GPU right? Or should I go 750W which would also give me the option of SLI/CFX? I'm looking at Intel i7/GTX 770-780 for my next build.

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The XFX one is indeed better, given the extra connectors and semi-modularity.

650W is more than enough if you OC the CPU and GPU. It is also enough for SLI/CF with mild to moderate OC.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    sorry missed your post.

Depends on the GPUs you will use for SLI/CFX. If it 2 strong GPUs like 780, I don't think even 750W will be enough for stable running.

If you sure you going for SLI/CFX, I'd suggest to be safe and go with 850W HX(silver). This way you have headroom for overclocking and stability.

PSU is not something that being changed as frequently as mobo or cpu or GPU. And you planning on running PC 24/7 or running heavy tasks, good PSU should pay off (with time).

If you going just for gaming and not planning on expanding rig, XFX 650W would be the sweet PSU, as lehtv said.

11. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I think I'll stick to single high-end gpu for now. And I use the computer mainly for gaming, So the XFX one should be fine.

Thanks for the help guys, I've decided to go with XFX 650w:)

12. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
  13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The X-750 is actually $90 after rebate and promo. Incredibly good deal, grab it. You probably will never need that much power but what the heck, it's among the best 750W units money can buy. I've never seen this unit's price so low, even the X-650 would be a no brainer at that price!

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    I can actually spend upto $150. Is there a better one or should I just go with X-750? And what about Corsair HX 750?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    isn't the hx pretty much the same psu?

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    No, there isn't a better option. The X-750 is for all intents and purposes the high end, there is no higher end. There are only slight (read: irrelevant) improvements in efficiency and voltage regulation, e.g. Seasonic's Platinum units, but they're the same tier, so to speak.

At this point, I believe the deal on the X-750 is over. If you didn't jump on that, you're not going to find a better deal pop up any time soon.

HX750 is manufactured by CWT, not by Seasonic. But feature wise it is very similar - Gold efficiency, fully modular, semi-passive fan, highly reliable.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  17. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  19. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Oh, that i didn't know, thanks for the heads up, (btw what's great about braided cables?)

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They look better and should be more durable and easier to manage. Not a biggie in my books, I'm very happy with my psu anyway. Braided cables can be purchased separately if needed (I won't bother).