Pagefile is being used but shouldn't be

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by daant, Oct 4, 2013.

1. daant

daant Guest

GPU:
    780M
    Since I have 16GB of RAM, I have disabled the pagefile, but Afterburner is telling me that around 2.5GB of pagefile at idle (and around 7GB when in BF4 beta) are being used while only around 5.5GB of physical RAM are being used. Does anyone know what's going on here?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you have disabled the pagefile, it's not being used

3. daant

daant Guest

GPU:
    780M
    So I can confirm that AB is displaying incorrect information? I just thought it was strange that not only it was using the pagefile but how much the pagfile was reportedly using.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you disabled it from Windows, AB is reporting wrongly, you'll have to talk to AB dev about that - I would double check you have actually disabled the pagefile and rebooted first though

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What you are seeing is the Commit Charge.

M$ labels it PF in windows which is wrong, but Unwinder decided to use the PF label anyway since most users would be familiar with it.

My suggestion was change it something more accurate.....his take was no matter the name it would still be confusing to most users which is prob true tbh...

If you want the label changed ask him...u never know, seems like a reasonable enough request if you understand what Commit is....

Edit:
    just saw u have PF disabled.
    In a nutshell, the PF graph shows all addressed memory, so whatever is currently in use plus all open pages.
    With a disabled PF the commit amount is the one the matters because all addressed memory is located in RAM.

This is important with BF4 due to it being a complete virtual memory hog....if the allocated amount reaches the commit limit the game will crash with a DX error.

Very common problem in BF3/4GB/no PF as Extraordinary knows. :p

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. daant

daant Guest

GPU:
    780M
    Appreciate the responses.
    So, you are saying BF4 is a virtual memory hog. I am, however, not using any virtual memory because I have disabled the pagefile, correct? Or is any virtual memory still being used? I only want to use my RAM and not virtual memory: 1) because I have 16GB which should be plenty and 2) I use only an SSD, so I don't want to wear it down more than I need to.
    So in AB, what exactly is the difference between the RAM usage and pagefile usage?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    He knows :p

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh lord memory management is one discussion I don't want to have right now.....sitting in the office at 5pm on a Friday.:cheers: lol
    Basically if your PF is disabled nothing will be written to or read from the SSD so you're quite safe.

The OS always uses Virtual Memory (pages) that's how windows works.

Usually the OS reads/writes from PF when it needs whatever data is stored there (paged memory) until needed by the OS.

With a disabled PF, all the stuff that was kept on the PF is now kept in RAM, so there are no more read/writes.

However this does use up more RAM but you won't know unless you look at the commit amount (what AB calls PF), the RAM graph only counts currently used data.

So commit is all you need to look at.

Hope that helped, I'm going home now...have a great weekend...:)

9. daant

daant Guest

GPU:
    780M
    Great response. Thanks! :)

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    All good, btw I just want to clarify something which doesn't make sense to me....

When I said the Afterburner PF monitor shows all addressed memory, I think a better description is that it shows all used memory both physical and virtual, used to store data.....
    :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013