980 Ti Overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by maxx126, Nov 22, 2015.

1. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    It turned out to be the PSU problem. Mine is 800W but it is not single rail so the rails I used was 2x18A I switched them to 2x25A now it is working fine.

I would still love to hear comments about the Afterburner graph I posted and 1400Mhz matter though.

2. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    Hello,
    I had to switch back to previous drivers (358.91) because with latest 359, even with a little OC, fans don't start at all !

Check with AB if fans are running or not.

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The GTX900 series will boost higher than the advertised boost clock if they are within power and thermal limits.

If you want to reduce the boost clock set a thermal or power limit with MSI afterburner.

Personally I have mine set to a thermal limit at 80C, so it starts to reduce my clock speed if it hits that temp. Usually my card hovers around 70 to 75C though as I use VSync in games so it locks to 60fps. The only times I see it getting close to 80C is benchmarking or if I run a game with no Vsync.

4. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    I am only worried about the OV max limit shown in this graph. If this is normal then I am fine with the current clock. http://imgur.com/3A8P8dy

5. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Update for people thinking of buying the same card:

The card I opened this topic for died while playing Witcher 3 in 1.5 months. Temp was fine (82 I guess) so it has nothing to do with the temperature.

Replacement card I got was much worse when it comes to temps as if it doesn't have any cooler on it at all. Jumping directly to 92 degrees unless it is a very light load so I returned it too and will get my money back. Clearly Galax brand has serious QA issues. So I won't buy anything from them in the future.

I am waiting for MSI 980 Ti Gaming Golden Edition to arrive, hopefully it'll work as it should and my pain will end. Because I am so tired of this...

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course, you can always get a faulty card, but two in a row isn't something that happens every day, not even 3 with the MSI. You'll see, you'll be fine now, think positive.

7. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Thanks my friend. This last one seems like a keeper. Hopefully it'll be great in the long term as well.