1080 TI mayor stutters and low fps

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ephax20, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ephax20

Ephax20 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    So this is my problem guys, i bought a 1080 ti, purely for overkill so i could last long with it. It is in a system with a i7 7700, 16 gb DDR 4 2133 and a mechanical HD from seagate and a 650 VS corsair. So i had a 1080 in it like weeks ago, no problems what so ever. Now i have the Gigabyte 1080 TI Founders Edition and games straight up freeze for half a second alot of times. Also i get very low fps at times in games like Conan and Friday the 13th. Rainbow 6 siege for instance has no problems maxed out @ 8xMSAA. But PUBG for instance also stutters like crazy at times. I have reinstalled my OS, checked my powercables to the gpu, installed en reinstalled like 8 differend drivers and used DDU in the process. I checked the temperature of my CPU and it aint high, my gpu is about 80C under load but i got it down to 70 with fan control and the problem still persists. I am really clueless now. Please help me gurus.

2. Ephax20

Ephax20 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Oh and i play on 1080p, most games i use resolution scaling because you know, 1080 ti.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That slow RAM isn't helping you at all. Fast quad core CPUs like the 7700K have a much greater dependence on faster RAM than HEDT CPUs (high end desktop), since they have dual channel memory controllers and smaller caches.

And then combined with the mechanical HDD, which takes longer to load assets than an SSD, could conceivably cause a lot of stuttering and low FPS. Though the low FPS should be temporary until the assets are loaded into RAM.

Is your 1080 Ti a Founders Edition card? The fact that it's not occurring in every game strongly hints of a bottleneck somewhere.

My advice is to run MSI Afterburner with RTSS and look at the CPU and GPU load during games where you see stuttering. If the GPU isn't running at full capacity, then you're being CPU bottlenecked, and that could be because your RAM is on the slow side.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Could RAM could cause these kind of issues ?

Anyway I agree, that's too bad with such a good rig to run 2133Mhz RAM.
    Also, the first thing you should do is to get a SSD, feels like a must nowadays, plus there are a lot of cheap and effective ones.

I know it's a long shot, but it's still easy to forget :
    Have you tried to set manually "max performance" in your power supply management in the NVCP ?

When I forget it after a fresh install, playing some not too recents may cause me a few stutters and such, since it's litteraly trying to clock as low as it can.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I don't know if it's causing these issues necessarily, but it sure isn't helping. Skylake architecture is very bandwidth hungry, and it loves fast memory.

In fact, there have been many benchmarks showing the massive increase you can get by using faster memory on quad core CPUs.

DDR4-2133 is very slow, probably about as fast as DDR3 1800 due to the much higher timings. DDR4 doesn't really start to pull even with fast DDR3 2133 CL11 memory until around DDR4 2666 with CL14. And it starts to really pull away at speeds around DDR4 3200 CL16 and better.

DDR4 3200 CL16 is probably equivalent to DDR3 2400 CL12 in terms of latency, but has much better bandwidth. I have my DDR4 clocked at 3400 with 15-15-15-34 timings and CR1.

6. Ephax20

Ephax20 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    My 1080 ti is indeed a founders edition, i now have a ssd and the problem is still here. The gpu is on max performance and single screen performance mode. Also it happens no matter what settings i run games in. The weird thing is a couple of weeks back i had a i5 7600 with a GTX 1080 and i didn't have any of these problems. I had the same memory back then.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Did you run MSI Afterburner during a gaming session and check your GPU, RAM and CPU usage? That should help you diagnose what's occurring.

Also, what do you have your pagefile set to?

8. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    No its not, i also run 2133 in quad channel and i dont have stutters the difference between 2133 vs 3000 mhz or higher is so low in fps its not worth it.
    Stability above anything in my book.

9. Miken420

Miken420 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    Make sure your HDD is defragmented.

Asset calls in games are a major bogdown.

For example when I run Witcher 3 with no framerate cap my 1080 Ti can get bogged down in heavy scenes or when traveling quickly and loading many assets on the fly. I might be getting 70+ FPS but the hitching whenever something new loads onto the scene ruins the smoothness.

However, when I put a 60 fps frame rate cap on my G-SYNC monitor, my card always has headroom for these types of scenarios. I'll be sitting at 59.9 FPS at well under 99% GPU usage when a large scene hits, and my card is ready for it, keeping me at a smooth playable frame rate with no noticeable hitching

I do this with EVGA Precision XOC's built in Frame Rate Target control feature. I have it enabled globally because it seems to help me in every game, from GTAV to Mass Effect Andromeda

Also running on a SSD softens the hitching you feel when loading assets on the fly. I always install intensive games on my SSD such as MMORPGs, Open World RPGs, Military sims like ARMA, etc. and save my HDD for games that don't hitch when loading assets such as arena shooters, cRPGs, retro games, etc.

This is why I feel that investing in a G-SYNC capable monitor, (even a 1080p TN Panel one) is worth it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's quad channel. He is running a dual channel setup, plus your CPU also has nearly twice as much L3 cache as his which makes a big difference when it comes to fast data access.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This is exactly where having faster memory (and storage) would help, since many assets are being streamed directly from memory.

The Witcher 3's streaming algorithm is fairly good, but it's not the best around by a long shot. It doesn't appear to be multithreaded and it doesn't use enough RAM from my experience, which is exactly what leads to the hitching.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I don't believe your memory speed is the issue as I have 1,600 MHz RAM coupled with a 4.0 GHz i7-4770K and my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 runs games at v. impressive framerates (more so now I've moved beyond 60 Hz refresh rates and V-Sync into the realms of G-SYNC and I can see how fast they can actually run uncapped!). Maybe I'm getting 2-6 fps less than someone running higher speed memory but the point is it isn't going to be noticeable in a games that already run at 90+ fps! :D

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not really the same. A 7700K is a lot faster than a 4770K and a lot more bandwidth hungry. And while you're getting good framerates with your 1080 Ti, it's still not reaching it's full potential with your CPU and RAM bottlenecking it.

This review might be helpful for those wanting to see the differences in memory scaling between Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake.

14. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Yeah this sounds like the CPU is being waited on by the GPU for too long, even though the CPU is ready to hand frames to the GPU.

15. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Check if you are running shadowplay in games if you are complete disable it then report back if your freezes or stuttering stops