RivaTuner v2.20 on the way, major changes are coming with new version

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Dear forum visitors,

I'm getting SLI system soon and I suppose that it will cause major changes in new version of RivaTuner. Currently RivaTuner supports multimonitor (and partially multiGPU) systems but uses singe device selection ideology, i.e. advanced features like launcher, scheduler and hardware monitor apply to one device selected at the moment. I'm going to rewrite the core to allow these modules to work with multiple GPUs simultaneously. I expect to release new version together with new NVIDIA GT206 chip announce in the end of October. Considering that there will be serious changes in the core and features, there will be major version upgrade too (I guess v2.20).

Stay tuned!

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Well, tickle my foot. Jumpin to SLI huh?

Look forward to seeing and testing that release.

GL

By chance will you be looking into multi-monitor use while in SLI?

3. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Great news! The best will just get better.

Will this new major update come have the new GUI?

4. Unwinder

Unlikely. SLI won't be in my primary work rig where I actively use multiple monitors, I'm going to install additional cheap 9600 SLI system for testing only.

5. Unwinder

Nope. No serious GUI changes are planned.

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ok, how about when Nvidia comes out with the "big bang II" which is supposed to support multi-monitors?

Something to keep in the back of your mind?

Or maybe it will be enabled via the Nv console anyway.

7. Unwinder

As I said above, SLI rig will be single monitor based, so I'm afraid that the answer is still "no".

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ok you have apparently forgotten that you are our slave and must do as we ask .... bitch. :D

Have a nice weekend.

9. Unwinder

:D Hope that this nice weekend will end with the first alpha version having new multi-
    GPU monitoring module.

10. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol :)

11. Unwinder

Some early results, not a SLI system (haven't got a hardware yet) but multi-monitor configuration with PCIE RADEON 4850 and PCI GeForce MX 400. Multi-GPU monitoring seem to be working already:

[​IMG]

12. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    thanks alot unwinder your work is much appreciated :)

13. ZeW0 ToleraNce

ZeW0 ToleraNce Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    looks great Unwinder. i'll finally be able to see the temps on both my cards simultaneously on the OSD :p

14. Unwinder

Launcher and Scheduler modules gone multi-GPU too:

[​IMG]

Now you can create GPU-specific launch items allowing you to load desired overclocking, fan and gamma profiles independently for each adapter installed in the system and activate these items via tray menu or via hotkey. And in conjunction with multi-GPU scheduler and monitoring module you can program dynamic fan control and overclocking technologies for any display device installed in the system.

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ok...now we're talking ! Nice...

16. Unwinder

More new features on the way, I'm improving the scheduler now:

[​IMG]

I've added "Pause scheduler" button which many of you requested in the past and also added data sampling period setting for hardware monitoring based tasks. Sampling rate tweaking can be helpful when your hardware monitoring module is polling data frequently (e.g. 2 times per second) and you wish to create a schedule based on rapidly changing parameter (e.g. CPU usage) without causing too frequent scheduled tasks execution. In this case you may increase sampling period for this scheduled task (e.g. set it to 5000ms so the scheduler will monitor CPU usage changes withing 5 second intervals).

17. Unwinder

One more setting has been added to the task scheduler. New setting called “Task freezing period” is now available in the scheduler’s task editor window. Task freezing feature has been added to be used in conjunction with some specific types of data sources when we need to react on entering different ranges with different priorities. For example, if we want to emulate something like PowerPlay hardware microcontroller then we should bump clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering some range (e.g. 25-100%) but we shouldn’t lower the clocks immediately when GPU usage is entering low performance range. That’s when new settings comes into the game. Task freezing mode uses the following logic: as soon as the task with defined freezing period is executed the scheduler stops executing all tasks linked with this data source and starts putting such tasks into the queue instead. As soon as the freezing period is over, the last queued task is executed. Taking our PowerPlay microcontroller emulation as an example, we can define two tasks:

1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [25%;100%] range, define 5000ms freezing period for this task
    2) Launch low clocks profile when GPU usage is entering [0;%25%] range (no freezing period is specified)

Such schedule will always set high clocks immediately when GPU usage becomes greater than 25% but will never drop the clocks earlier than 5 seconds after bumping the clocks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  18. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    This is a nice and useful feature.

Just an idea of design if you're interested:
    You could also use a "FOR clause - time period" instead of "freezing period" to achieve the same functionality.

For instance:
    1) Launch high clocks profile when GPU usage >= 25% FOR X milliseconds.
    2) Launch low clock profile when GPU usage < 25% FOR Y milliseconds.

Benefits:
    - avoid load spikes
    - easier implementation
    - maybe others I can't think of right now

EnF

19. Unwinder

Thanks for suggestion, I was thinking about something like that before starting implementation but it will be actually harder to implement without global changes because the scheduler's architecture currently allows processing only two data samples (the current and the previous sampled value) and all events can be registered upon these two samples only.

20. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    I understand.
    You would also need the "last timestamp" of the sample for which the condition (threshold) was false to be able to calculate the time difference and evaluate the "FOR time" clause.

Also, in time, this feature would require another one:
    A "sampling period" with a finer granularity than the "reporting period" as some triggers would need it.

Anyway, this is a nice feature regardless of how's implemented - so thank you.

EnF