Slow SSD performance ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by AzzKickr, Oct 17, 2015.

1. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Hi guys, I'm hoping someone might be able to explain this.
    As you can see from my spec list, I run an ancient core 2 quad system still.

Now I've added an MSI Star USB3/SATA6 PCI-E expansion card and attached a Sandisk Extreme SSD to it (SDSSDX-120G-G25).

I was expecting a bigger boost, coming from my Velociraptor RAID setup so fired up some benchmarks. Turns out I'm only scoring about half what it should do. (~250mb/sec).

The MSI card is an x4 card and the Striker II is an PCI-X gen 2 motherboard. So it should score a lot higher shouldn't it ? Is the SSD broken or do I need to update the MIS card's firmware or ... ?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure there,but I would test this SSD if you can put to different PC which does have SATA III port,because yours speeds are very similar to mine around 268-278mbps on SATA II(my MB X58 P6T SE supports only SATA II) and my SSD are 840 and MX100 512GB

I've tried few SATA III cards and best to the date which I've tried has been LSI MegaRAID with which I've been able to get speeds which I should be getting

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

4. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Thanks for both your input guys. I don't really have the opportunity to test it in a "true" SATA III environment, at least not easily.

I still think I should be scoring higher, all the reviews I see put it around the 450mb mark ...

5. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Okay, so I decided to go through the hassle anyway and test it in a true SATA 3 environment. The results are somewhat ...ehm... confusing.

Crystal Disk Mark scores a lot higher this time at around 470mb/sec
    HD Tune Pro however scores almost exactly the same as in the original machine with the separate controller card: ~250mb/sec

So basically I am now even more confused than before LOL ?

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Those results are with the controller card or just plugged to SATA 3 port?

Please if you can or could test this with HD Tach,I'm using this more than HD Tune

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Tested with HD Tach in the long bench option. The burst speed (red bar) says 314mb/s and in the information display it says "average read speed: 224mb/s"

8. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    For comparison I ran that HD tach bench on my VelociRaptor Raid setup in this same machine:

Burst: 359mb/s and average: 191mb/s

Access time on the SSD: 0.2ms, on the VelociRaptors 7.1ms

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What you're getting is about right for a Marvell Controller.... Marvell Controllers are garbage.

10. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    I've heard that before. But I need to know (well not really, just curious) if I have to blame the SSD or the controller ...

So far I have not gotten any wiser ... :)

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every drive I've ever connected to a Marvell controller has experienced reduced performance.

12. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    So it's probably not that something's "wrong" or "broken" ? It's just the way it is ? Because then my mind would be a bit more at ease :)

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its most likely performing as expected and just the marvel controller being awful.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Agree with above there,I've same SATA III controller(Marvell SE9128) on Gigabyte X58 UD3R and its pretty much poor and garbage,I will be buying LSI RAID card that's for sure

If you want have higher speeds then I would go route of the LSI SATA III card and sell MSI PCIE SATA III

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

15. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Allright, many thanks for your help !!