My old VooDoo graphics card.

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by phaT-X, Oct 14, 2015.

1. phaT-X

phaT-X Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
    I still have my VooDoo 5 5500 series put up and boxed away.. I am curious for those that still actual operate this card, with modified drivers I am sure, are you able to actually play PC games with it? Like modern PC games?

If so, what is the major issues it faces? How does it do on x64 bit operating systems? Just curious overall if you run them just to say you still can run them, or benchmarking, gaming, or a combo of all?

Unfortunately I believe mine is AGP, and I do not have a mobo that supports it, but I will need to unbox it and make sure as it could be PCi, though I feel sure it was AGP.

I keep a lot of stuff, but most stuff that old I got rid of, why I kept this I am not sure, I do remember why I removed it and boxed it back up, cause I replaced it with a Geforce that outperformed it and actually seemed to have a nicer graphics look, but my VooDoo 5 was not that old, so I just boxed it back up.... I am amazed to see people still use these cards, but the VooDoo cards were the bomb in their time and paved the way for SLi and CrossFire.

2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    They were the bomb in their time :) Best use for these cards is in retro gaming machines. They WON'T play anything decently that came out after 2005. Even Unreal Tournament 2004 (March 2004) barely runs on the lowest of lowest settings with tweaks. And regarding the driver part: Yes it will run on x64 (even Windows 7! :D)) with the right drivers (use modded ones) but don't expect miracles :p

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I remember back when Doom3 was new someone got the game running using 2 Voodoo 2 12mb cards and the game was tweaked big time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Build a Win98SE retro machine and use it in that.

That's what I did with the one I purchased new right when they came out.

Absolutely no point in trying to use it in a newer machine as even the lowest end cards will wipe the floor with it.

5. edma3d

edma3d Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    If you wish to revive original Glide 3d rendering. V5 is a very good option.