Should I get a 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS for Birthday/Xmas?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by stryder8701, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Should I get a 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS for Birthday/Xmas?

1. Nintendo 3DS XL

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Nintendo 2DS

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Nintendo 3DS

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    Hey guys I am ultimately interested in a huge library of DS, 3DS games that have come out and aside from PC gaming don't really have another system that I play games on. I think it would be a nice portable system to have as well. Now I am 27, going to be 28 years old, and trying to save some money if possible as well, I am interested in Zelda, Mario, maybe even Pokemon, been a long time since I've played one though! I see the 3DS is the original system and the XL is a bit bigger for an extra $30. The 2DS is brand new, pretty much, and retains all of the features of the 3DS and 3DS XL, minus the 3D, and is a bit smaller. Is it the same size as the original 3DS?

Should I save some money and pick up the 2DS, since really I don't really care about the 3DS aspect of gaming, is the 3D aspect really nice on the 3DS? Tell me what you guys think! Thanks!

2. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    I appreciate opinions/suggestions and not trolling, thanks!

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ive been thinking the samething of late, but have come to the conclusion that i dont go anywhere enough to warrant anymore mobile gaming.

But if i were, id get the 2d as im the same when it comes to 3d and touch, they're just gimmics imo and so far, touch gaming, let alone any task, on mobile devices has just been beyond frustrating. Delays in response and finger prints etc.

I really have to tip my hat to the boardroom suits that managed to trick everyone into thinking touch screen was the next evolution of ui-ing and a must have feature.

3d, just another toy imo. simple as that.

The games,
    Id get the typical nintendo brands etc, but i cant stand the current designs of pokemon these days, they just all look like robots. or different variations of that polygon pokemon from the original series (rip).

I really reall want a wii-u, mario world 3d and the possibility of a mario galaxy 3 etc.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    I feel the same way about 3D, gimmick!

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ive got a vita and must admit that as it stands, since release theres only 3 games that ive played all the way: Uncharted (loved it, minus the touch crap), KZ Mercenary(as good a fps get on the go) and Sonic racing(meh version of Crash team racing)

Everything else is just indie crap and poor ports of ps2 games (though mgs2/3 work great) and ffx wont be in us/eu till sometime next year, as such was my reason for lookin into gettin a ds, but yeah, just cant be bothered if and when i actually go out.

Im more of a window dreamer when riding passenger.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I would go for the xl 3ds, nice big system, and even if you don't use the 3d feature that much the option is still there, unlike if you get the 2ds and later on what to use the 3d feature.

I sold mine recently, very nice system, but i never got the time to use it, and i much prefer my nintendo stuff on a big tv., but overall a very nice bit of kit.

7. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    Yeah, I am having the dilemma of getting a Wii-u or 3DS(2DS) variant. I have a big beautiful 47'' LED 240Hz TV and no console for it yet either, but the Wii-u really isn't worth it in my opinion...

The 2DS is nice for being soo cheap, doesn't have the gimmicky 3D feature I don't really want/need, and has almost as good a battery life as the XL.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    get a laptop, then emulate the games. just a thought.

9. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    Nah I don't have that type of budget, but nice thought.

10. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    A wii-u would be cool for games like Mario 3D World, Zelda Windwaker HD, and even some oldies like Skyward sword and Smash Bros Brawl I really haven't played, as well as a lot of other games I haven't played.

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I would not go for the 2DS if I were you. The foldable design of the 3DS/DS is better IMO and more portable. The 2DS is a bit .. I don't know .. meh. And clearly designed for kids so they don't break the hinge.
    I have a DS light. Bought it on second hand for 40 euro + 10 euro for a R4 card. Use it mainly for emulating old NES/SNEG games and it is pretty good at it. Also have a few DS games but never finished any of them. The thing is, and the reason I'm writing this, that you need to know will you actually use it. For me it would have been great when I was in school or later when I was working long night shifts, but now (I'm 30 btw) I just don't have the proper use for a mobile gaming device. During the day I'm at work, so no games there, and later when I'm home I enjoy my PC/PS3 games. Also I have an iPad so on the rare occasions when I'm on holiday or travelling I enjoy a quick game of pinball or asphalt on the bigger and better screen. Also when I'm travelling in 98% of the time I'm driving - so no beers and games on the back seat for me.
    So bottom line: you have to decide will you actually have use of the device or maybe you are better off with something to enjoy on that TV of yours. Good luck!

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I swear, this is just sad. Two threads at once, really? I feel like if you are really can't figure out what you want to spend your money on, you shouldn't spend it. It's just common sense.

13. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    It's also common sense if you're not gonna help out, then don't respond. I obviously know that I want to spend my money on a 3DS system, just which one...

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    To be totally honest mate, this is getting beyond a joke. You've made countless threads like this, just buy something and be done with it already. Buy whichever is most within your budget if you want a handheld. The XL is the obvious choice due to the screen size, although the 2DS is cheaper but lacks portability and comes with mono-speakers (if that matters at all to you.)

edit: Why is "3 d s ." censored?

15. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    This is a different matter then the previous posts I had like 2 weeks ago alright, that is done with, so pretty much stop bringing that stuff up, if you really have nothing better to do with your life then criticize posts from the past then really I have nothing to say to that! lol

It's also not that obvious if I don't have any kind of inkling to have 3D or if an extra inch has any kind of difference on my gaming experience, you save like over a hundred bucks.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So the post in the pub didn't exist did it not? Whatever you say kid, good luck with it.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This kid reminds of that other dude who got banned for making 5 threads a day

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    XL has larger screens which help immensely, also the top one, the important one, is less reflective.

And has the longest battery.

2DS is bulky and cumbersome, you're going to get screen scratches through not being able to close the lid. Don't get the 2DS.

19. stryder8701

stryder8701 Guest

GPU:
    GTX690@ASUS 24'' 144Hz
    Get a hobby man lol, seriously...haha

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Btw mate Wii U is totally worth it. And 3DS XL is win too. I got both and I recommend so many good games. And out of next gen consoles Wii U has most games atm.