ATT core temp is slightly different from CCC temp?

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools' started by moeburn, Sep 4, 2013.

1. moeburn

moeburn Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    I'm using Open Hardware Monitor to graph my Radeon HD 5770's temperature, and ATI Tray Tools to show it on my tower's LCD screen (because the LCD screen control software only gets GPU info from ATT). They are slightly different.

Open Hardware Monitor's temp is identical to that of the Overdrive section in Crystal Control Center. But ATI Tray Tool's temp seems to be 4-10°c hotter.

For example, right now, my OHM/CCC says the GPU core temp is 50°c. ATT says its 54.5°c.
    However, running a DX11 game stress test, OHM says the GPU maxed out at 70°c, whereas ATT says it maxed out at 80°c.

So unfortunately, the relationship is not linear; ATT isn't just using an offset of the OHM/CCC temperature.

So why are they different?

2. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I believe CCC take the average of several temp sensors, and the ATT temp takes into consideration VRM temps?

3. moeburn

moeburn Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    Yeah, I checked with GPU-Z; There are four temperature readings, one of which is at the top list of the sensors, and the other three are in a separate group at the bottom list of the sensors: "Temperature Sensor", and "Temperature Sensor #1", "Temperature Sensor #2", "Temperature Sensor #3".

Open Hardware Monitor and CCC are using "Temperature Sensor #3", while ATT is using "Temperature Sensor". I think "Temperature Sensor #3" is the average temperature though. I think that's the problem, these new cards have switched the sensor positions of the average temperature, and the 3 individual temperatures (core, die, and memory), and ATI Tray Tools is a program designed for back when the manufacturer was still called ATI.