I was about to buy an SSD but then...

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by NomadAssassin, Jul 28, 2015.

1. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    No, not going to happen any time soon. I was laughing my AO to this lol This technology even after that many years is still like in Alpha stage hahaha

First I thought the only draw back of SSD is the times you write something on it. Okay not the greatest deal breaker to know it's days are numbered literally but now this http://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

So im sorry I heard just now about it but this is THE deal breaker to me. This is beyond stupid. I can never unpower my system for like few months if I go to another country but I have to keep it always turned on. Sorry but what if I do like the normal people who go abroad and I cut of my house from the power grid? Then bye bye precious games, files and stuff.

Thank you but I'm staying into the past with my HDDs. My Win 8.1 boots from no power to ready to use desktop for about 12 seconds with WD Black, people! 12 seconds! Okay I'll wait 10-15 more seconds for GTA 5 to load... big deal.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've been enjoying the vast improvements made by SSD's for a few years now, never had any real problems. I've left the computer off for various reasons for up to two weeks (possibly longer) in the past, and that was with older hardware than I'm running now. Unless you're literally leaving the country for months it's unlikely to be much of an issue. Then there's the fact that "normal" people don't generally leave their homes for months on end.

Your loss I guess.

PS: Would love to see a screen cap of your HDD booting into a usable Windows in 14 seconds. It'd make a lovely addition to this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399003

There's even a benchmark program listed for you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    They say the new SSD's use smaller manufacturing process that makes the things worse lol Old SSD might actually wast longer.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Do you plan on leaving your home for months on end on a fairly regular basis?

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Doesnt work like that.

Some ssds, very few, the nand chips will start 'discharging' and will drop a few bytes of data over a course of a long time. They do not just get erased completely if powered off by x amount of time all of the sudden.

Secondly, it only affects a small amount of ssds.. I have had systems powered off for a couple of years and it still booted with no issues, recall it was a intel G2 ssd

6. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Was talking on theory.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So you wont buy an SSD that will have a large impact in multiple areas, because in theory you might up and leave the country for an unspecified length of time?

Good stuff.

8. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Yes problem?

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    WOW. You are gullible. I have been running the same SSD for about 5 years. I have gone on MONTH long trips where the PC was never touched. Guess what? Everything was perfectly fine when I got back.

You dont buy an SSD for games alone, you buy it for the OS too. Everything about it becomes faster.

This site...jeezus

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's your life.

Bit of a ridiculous thought process you have going on regarding this stuff, I'll say that much. Everything you've posted as a negative is a non-issue. You've pretty much admitted that you're not going to be away from your PC for any genuine length of time -- it'd take months at the least, and probably years before any issues arose, assuming they ever would.

You're essentially discounting SSD's for no good reason.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Interesting but I don't believe 8.1 can boot from a completely powered down system in 12 seconds. Mine takes 70-75 seconds to be useable. I do have fast boot and hibernation disabled though. Still, even with fast boot, 12 seconds seems impossible from a HDD.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    no ssd in 2015???? It's like having a virtual cancer which gonna become real in a moment...

Seriously just get SSD, i have the MX100 and Corsair GT3 for 3 years, same performance no degree at all, all reliable , can't ever go back to HDD.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I found it pretty outlandish myself, which is why I offered him the tools to prove his claim.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I'm calling bs on the load time into windows with a mechanical drive.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had UEFI Fast Boot enabled and it still took longer than 14 seconds for me to boot into Windows. I even used Intel's caching **** that was introduced with the Z68 chipset, which does improve boot times. There is no possible way that a system with a mechanical drive is booting Windows 8.x in 14 seconds......

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Average 30 seconds here (without fast boot)...

18. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    12 seconds to boot from a mechanical HDD :wanker:

Also I've been running SSDs in all my computers now for the last 2-3 years and never had any issues of disappearing. Not only that but I have a clients computer that has an SSD and that thing is powered off for months on end due to them never using it, no issues with data retention.

19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I smell sourgrapes..