High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've always thought that to run a setup in balanced mode, shouldn't the headphones also be connected to the headamp via balanced XLR cables? I've seen headamp, like the OPPO HA1 with four pin XLR like port in front. Seriously, this can get quite confusing as I've also read that decent stock cables from some/most headphone makers are sorta balanced by design.:3eyes:

The Fitear Parterre is a done deal, will connect that badboy next week....

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea it is, it just the gustard H10 from what i read is a dual mono designed and is partly a balanced Amp do to the Single end connector. But to my ears using it balanced is wonderful in compared to using it non balanced.

The last thing I gonna do is switch from my Receiver and Old bookself speaker to some JBL 3502 and not cheap out this time, like I did when i got the numark N-Wave 360s that I wish I didn't get. They now just sit in the front room distorting when there is bass. Unless they busted but the price i paid for them make it not worth it to ship them back besides being outside the return period and warranty since i bought them refurbish do to their weight and the size of box i would had to use.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Think I am going to stand pat, though the x12 would not cost anything out of pocket if I sold the bifrost uber with usb and asgard 2 though.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    You have the BiFrost Uber, more than enough DAC there for any audio enthusiast. :thumbup: Now, had yours been a Modi 2, I'd taunt you to no end to upgrade.:infinity:

Meanwhile, I'm relegating my Lyr + iFi iDSD Nano to my 3rd rig. I'd be getting an OPPO HA-1.....will compare it to the Gustard stack and see which I prefer. I'll be getting my HD800 back, as well as the Fitear Paterre......next week's gonna be interesting to say the least. I've decided to hold off on the ETHER for now.....perhaps get it for myself on Christmas. Next week's gonna be a fun week for me, will be heading off to China in the later part of the week for some R & R. :devil:

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Can't imagine how good your guys high end gear sounds, i've never experienced really expensive speakers.

The best i've had was KRK speakers with a M-Audio SBX10 studio subwoofer, but it was so powerful i ran it with 10% volume.

I do want that sub again in the future, i had to get rid of it cause i couldn't really afford it at the time.

Atm i just got my Z680's wich i got dirt cheap, they sound great, music sounds really good and clean.
    Apart from gaming, with alot of FX sounds going on it's not clear and crisp.

And i can't believe this sub is way more powerful then Z5500's 10inch sub, Z680's sub is 8inch.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah think your right, dac have the more subtle differences imo compared to cans and amps.

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, I think so anyway, the BiFrost Uber is no slouch, unless DSD is a must (there's always Loki), so you should be good to go.:thumbup:

Meanwhile, I'm getting the OPPO HA-1 simply because I have four rigs in my room, so have three DSD capable audio setups sounds about right (at least, that's how I rationalized it). Besides, that HA-1 has a fancy LED display in front that I like, yes, I'm shallow and love das bling.:rock:

8. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    It all has to do with the topology of the amp as to whether balanced sounds better.

A balnced xlr connection on the front of the amp, does not mean you are listening in balanced mode....sometimes that is just a feature if your headphone cable has a xlr connection, it makes it convienent

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Thanks for taking the time to explain to a relative noob like me, it's much appreciated. Anyway, I'd collected a couple of my audio gear purchases today, a Fitear Parterre UF IEM and an OPPO HA-1 for more audio goodness.
    [​IMG]
    The Fitear, looks pretty big next to the IE800, but with the double flanged eartips, it doesn't jut out much from my ears......sounds amazing from my initial listen.
    [​IMG]

I'm a little tired now, too tired to set up the OPPO, will do so tomorrow as I just wanna chill with the Fitear Parterre + Fiio X3 II
    [​IMG]

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I have the Oppo HA-1 setup, and in the process of evaluating it. One thing about it, me likey the flashing lights on the spectrum display!:nerd:
    [​IMG]

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Unlike setting up DSD support for Foobar2k for the Gustard X12, I didn't need any help. I made a few changes in Foobar setting, removed WASAPI and changed DoP to DSD IIRC, and it was done. One thing about the Gustard, I had to jump thru a few hoops (including installing an SMSL M8 driver) to get DSD support in Foobar2k to work, it was really a hassle. Still, I'd be using the Gustard stack on my other rig so I ain't gonna sell them off.

12. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Congrats on your Oppo :)

Looks very nice, indeed.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea the thesycon drivers which supports all the goodies, The only driver that we get is the basic xmos drivers with limited support and controls.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Any exact link to where to download this? The SMSL M8 driver has limited support.....

@ gridiron whirlw, yeah the HA-1 is sa-weet lookin', perhaps I'm being shallow, but the bouncing spectrum display is cool, but distracting at the same time.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Edit: Xmos driver i uploaded link no longer works.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Hey, thanks a bunch for that link!:thumbup: I will give this driver a shot when I migrate the Gustard stack to my other rig.

17. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    It should not be too much longer for me to get my new amp....it has taken a long time for it to be real and not just a dream....but Glenn has sent me pictures and has told me that it will be done, very soon :)

My HD650 & HD800 await patiently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Oh my, oh my! That looks outrageously awesome!!! :thumbup:

What is IT? And how much did it cost ya?:3eyes:

19. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    It is a 2359glenn custom OTL amp....made by Glenn over at the Head-fi forums.

I do not have it in my possession yet, he has a tad more wiring to do to it...but he said it will be completed very soon.

It is pretty costly, I have yet to get my final bill for it.

It is definitely my dream amp and a dream amp for any tube roller.

20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Looks downright secksay, bet it'd sound like a dream as well!:thumbup: Just curious as to how much it'd cost.....more than 1k USD? Please excuse me, just being damn curious....:angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.