TV For A Monitor

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Disuto, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Disuto

Disuto Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB
    Hello community,

So, I'm having trouble finding something that will work for me. I'm a game developer and when I'm making games I need a lot of room, so I've been switching back and forth between 3 to 4 monitors. I've been thinking of just getting a 32 inch TV instead but needed help understanding what is it that I need to be looking for to ensure that the TV will work great with a PC.

Recommendations are welcomed but only if you have the model number, and it meets the criteria:

120hz refresh rate
    rather small bezel
    32"
    1080p

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you,

Disuto.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    More resolution not size, I say. Took a look at the 1440p Korean monitors?

Remember too that a TV will have more input lag than a good monitor. Lowest number I've seen for a TV was 18ms which is a full frame of lag and that is frowned upon when dealing with gaming monitors. And that's the lowest figure, you might see anywhere from 60-100ms which is too much.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The TV industry must be improving as my recent 42" Vizio HDTV is 6ms and I use this as my primary monitor.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That's response time, not input lag. Totally different things. Response time is the time a pixel takes to transition (almost fully) from one state to another (e.g. Grey-To-Grey). (Pure) input lag is the time it takes from the moment the signal is sent till the moment the panel itself is being updated with the information (disregard pixel response times).

On a sidenote, that TV cannot receive a 120Hz signal. The 120Hz refers to an internal motion smoothing algorithm.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT

I should be more awake when I read this stuff.

The input lag on this is 28ms (as I recall). I've been using this as a monitor for months and it works quite well. The upscaling to 120hz with vsync off actually works alright in BF4. As you read around the web, this seems to be one of the better brands to use for both console and PC gaming on a TV. They don't approach proper PC monitor specs but you can't get a monitor this big (without getting a 2nd mortgage on your house).

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I agree with yasamoka, you'll need to take a look at 1440p monitors.

There are also 1600p monitors, that will give you way more space to work on then a 1080p TV.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    However, problem is that all current 1600p monitors (except one ambiguous Korean brand, First - not sure if still around) are wide-gamut (oversaturated for sRGB normal gamut content), have somewhat low contrast ratio (~700:1), and have more IPS glow forcing you to sit further to reduce the effect on the corners with normal viewing. Many come with grainy coatings, but I think there are some semi-glossy ones. Oh, and none overclock to 110Hz+ like the 1440p Qnix / Catleap 2B / Overlord Tempest.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    You won't notice that IPS glow, you can only see it when the screen is black.

Mine has some too, i can only see it when i start a game and the screen goes black for a few seconds.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    IPS glow affects all colors, across all the panel. It's more readily visible on black, true, but only when low enough quantities of glow are present on a monitor. The corners tend to show it first because we are looking at the monitor head-on with respect to the center (target), so the corners, being the farthest away at the most extreme angles, show this glow first. You will see that same glow across the panel if you're looking at the monitor at sharp angles from top / bottom / left / right, but that's not general usage.

1600p monitors like the ZR30i have enough IPS glow that it's easily visible in normal usage, not only on blacks. When you go bigger, glow becomes more visible, and given enough glow in the first place, it could become distracting.

11. FLUKED777

FLUKED777 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 750ti
    i have a 120hz sony bravia tv and have been using it for 2 years permenantly as a computer screen for laptop and desktop, its really awesome with the motionflow feature enabled, looks real nice and fluid. only thing is if ur gaming serious competetive style FPS games u will get destroyed due to slow response time from monitor :D

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Does it receive a 120Hz signal from the PC, or 60Hz?

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Didn't find an answer to my question in that review.

15. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    HDMI does not allows for 120hz refresh rates. There are above 60hz refresh rates for resolutions below 1080p, but it is at most up to 75hz. That 120hz on TV's is solely a motion interpolation technique to fill in "fake" frames between the real ones and smooth the transition.

Maybe HDMI 2.1/3 will allow for higher refresh rates?

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not all TVs. Some (active 3D TVs) do indeed allow a 120Hz signal (albeit unofficial), that's why I asked.

17. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    HDMI spec does not have any frame-packing formats for official 120hz... If those TV's supposedly allow it, they are using a different type of connection.

FWIW, don't expect a true 120hz TV for a while as they are expected to be hooked up to devices that don't have the processing power for 120hz. Monitors are expected to be hooked up to a computer that has the processing power for 120hz so that's where 120hz is even being considered supported right now.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, unofficial. http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

19. Rachel S

Rachel S Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    I went for a 1080p low input monitor last year, to serve me for pc, gaming, PS work, video editing, x360 and movie watching.
    BAD IDEA.
    the monitor i got is great for low lag on pc gaming.
    Everything else though is sub par. The black colours to change quick, so does the job.
    But the colours are horid! Ive set it up decently, but id rather now have monitor/tv for differnet jobs i think. Too many trade offs.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What screen is it?