Help figuring out the best gpu choice

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Portuogral, May 27, 2013.

1. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Help figuring out the best gpu choice for 3D gaming

I came here because the reason I am upgrading my card is the Stereoscopic gaming. Mind that my HD5970 is still a very good card that kicks ass with AA disabled and a tweek in tessalation. We all know that AA in stereoscopic 3D can screw graphics more than it enhances, specially when it comes to TriDef 3D so, I should be fine but, I am not. My card has 2GB GDDR5 only and that is starting to really hurt my gaming experience.

I don't think a single HD7970 or GTX680 are worthy the upgrade, I honestly don't. I mean, I would have a little boost in performance but, that would be so tiny it would not justify the cost.

So, I was left with a SLi, Crossfire or TITAN. This last was a NO GO because it was just not worthy the money but, then it came along the GTX 780. And the I think is worthy the €641 I was asked to pay for one (including the Metro LL, is not even €600).

But, my brain start to do some math and recon a 2x HD7950 CF is about the same price as a GTX 780 with more performance, more "bang-for-the-buck".

So, I looked for PROS and CONS

GTX 780
    Pros: Single card, latest generation, great drivers support, low noise, less power consumption, nVIDIA 3D Vision, 3DTV Play
    Cons: Price/performance ratio, no official TriDef 3D support.

2x HD7950 CF
    Pros: Price/performance ratio, TriDef 3D support, AMD HD3D
    Cons: Crossfire, noise, bigger power bill

What else do I know?
    I know TriDef 3D and I'm very comfortable with it. I know it works better with AMD cards.

What I need to know?
    I need to know how 3D Vision works, if it is a good, continually updated option to play 3D games like TriDef 3D is.
    I need to know how well TriDef 3D works with nVIDIA cards.

This are pretty much my concerns right now.
    I know Crossfire has issues, a lot, but, AMD is working on a driver solution to fix the micro-stutter mess and I tend to trust them; they usually keep their words.

What do you 3D gamers think? Should I go for the 2x HD7950 or just grab a GTX 780?
    Remember, I am all about S-3D. Which option works better with S-3D is the one I will pick. I don't mind the brand. I just want whats best for me.

Thanks.

PS. I just remember the displays are VERY important. So, right now, I have a passive 46" passive Philips TV but, I am planing to get a 3D monitor depending on the card I pick. If is nVIDIA, I'll go for something compatible with 3D Vision. I prefer to game @1080p

Last edited: May 27, 2013