Afterburner Predator Video Capture Problem :-(

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Nate509, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Nate509

Nate509 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 260
    Hey guys, i have been trying to get Afterburner 2.2.4 to work for my favorite game warcraft 2 battle.net edition but it's not happening. It records everything great except for this game, here's a video of whats happening to me that i uploaded on youtube for you guys to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHBxE1EOkHw

Now a little insight on the issue, it's not just predator in afterburner... it's on fraps and about 15''ish other screen capturing software i've tried to record on.

I managed to get like 2 very cheesy screen capturing apps to work but the playback quality and settings where so horrendous i couldn't settle for them. Whats funny is those where the two one's that where not suppose to be used for game recording but only for screen recording but i was desperate and tried them anyways.

I have also played with codecs, i tried uninstalling one's i had " only the k lite pack " and re-installing it. I tried some windows 7 filter tweaks to disable some codecs and see maybe would the playback be good but no go and ultimately just putting everything back to where it was with a big question mark on my head.

I tried setting afterburner and the game warcraft 2 in windows xp compatibility mode and other things similar to that but still nothing has changed. I'm running out of idea's and i'm very motivated to fix this problem so with a little bit of insight on how to help me is all im asking.

Note: this also applies for starcraft broodwar and diablo 2.

I'm really thinking this has something to do with the color depth of the game or something because i found this little note of xfire's faq page for it's recording software to.

Currently Xfire Video Capture does not support 16-bit or DDraw rendered games. Some examples of this would be Starcraft or older Need for Speed games.

I really like afterburner because it doesn't lag and i use it for my video card so i'm fixated on a fix for this software only and not the other one's.

My specs, windows 7 - 64 bit, GTX 260 Geforce, 8GB Ram, Gateway AMD Phenom II x4

Help??

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Video capture is supported for Direct3D8 and newer applications only. DirectDraw support is step back and it won't happen, sorry.

3. Nate509

Nate509 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 260
    Well do you know of any good or decent screen capturing software that could capture DirectDraw?

4. Nate509

Nate509 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 260
    With anybody having my problem then this C&C Support page will help you! http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/ Read all about it but how it works is you put the ddraw.dll file into any directdraw game file directory, example your warcraft 2 folder, starcraft folder, diablo 2 folder and then run your game.

Once you run your game, a config file will then be made called ddraw with a notepad extension to be accessed and edited. Look over these settings and adjust them to your liking, remember these settings where made for c&c but work for the old battle.net games.

Hope this helps the users with my problem... what it does is force your game into a gdi or opengl format to be read by recording software programs and prevent the black screen from showing up in your videos. That's my idea of it anyways but it's proven correct cause it works for me.

I can now record with afterburner after all that searching for some hidden code :)

BTW, Unwinder why can't this be added to predator? it's a simple code that would allow your recorder to read directdraw, i understand you think it's backwards but supporting all formats to be cooler then the rest i think is better. Your helping little kids record modern warfare and there newer stuff but throwing rocks at us old schoolers who are more loyal is not cool.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is not a simple code. And it is my work time, which is not free for me. And end result is helpful for less than 1% of users. So it is a waste of work time, sorry.