HDD recognized again

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by PaYnE18, Apr 11, 2017.

1. PaYnE18

PaYnE18 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980 SC ACX 2.0S
    Hi guys, so about a week ago my 2 TB Seagate HDD randomly stopped being recognized, I verified in the BIOS it was not there, changed sata cables, sata ports, the power cable and basically tried everything and it seemed the drive was dead and all the other drives ( 2 ssd's and another hdd) were working fine.

I remember that it was working fine on friday as I remember downloading a few things and then on saturday it stopped being recognized not even in the BIOS.

One of the things I didn't try was to test it on another computer and I was planing on doing it this week, so anyway few hours ago I was searching some files and hey now the drive is being recognized again and all my info is there.

Do you guys know why exactly this is happening? Maybe the drive is dying I was actually thinking of sending it for the warranty sadly I don't live the US so that's why I didn't send it before, I'm obviously going to test it in the next weeks and see if it works but this is the first time that this happens to me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Get anything you want before you start testing.But probably is dying.

3. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Sometimes drives just fail.

I would copy all the data to another drive and check its S.M.A.R.T. status with a software tool such as HD Sentinel to see if it reports the exact problem.

I wouldn't turn the PC off once it was working either, in case it never works again.