MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 768: unexpected slowdowns

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by yav.at, Sep 9, 2010.

1. yav.at

yav.at New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 768MB
    Heya!

I've got myself a GTX 460 2 days ago, to replace my old 9800 GT. Though when I'm now running various games still on same the settings* I sometimes get some weird slow downs I wasn't having on my old graphics card.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
    RAM: 4GB
    Gfx: GTX460 768MB
    PSU: be quiet! BQT E5-450W
    2 Harddisks (500GB, 1000 GB)
    1 DvD-ROM Drive

Now, I had a problem after inserting the new graphics card and trying to turn on my PC. Only the fans and LEDs started running, everything else didn't make a sound.
    I unplugged the DvD-ROM drive and then it worked fine.

So all in all, could it be a power issue with my PSU? My 6pins are as follows:
    12V1: 25A
    12V2: 18A

If you need any more info, I'd be glad to provide it.

Cheers,
    yav

*(Mafia 2 [1650*1080 medium settings], Heroes of Newerth [1650*1080 max settings], Dawn of War 2 [1650*1080 high settings])

2. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    It's quite likely. The absolute minimum low end for a GeForce 460 GTX per NVIDIA is a 450 Watt PSU with 24 amps on the 12 volt rail, so you are pushing the limit. Random poor 3D performance and trouble booting with all your devices powered would be further evidence that your PSU isn't up to it.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    i do not believe its PSU. That system doesnt suck lot of power.

I believe slow E6xxx is a main problem or GPU overheating..

4. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    A bottlenecked CPU would give more consistent 3D performance issues nor would it explain the boot problem (nor would GPU overheating since this would most likely manifest during 3D gaming). The system may not consume a lot of power, but the new video card does.

5. st0nez

st0nez Guest

GPU:
    R290/4GB
    Definitely sounds like a psu problem, I've had similar issues in the past. And since removing some of the draw (dvd drive) seems to help, it sounds like the most logical theory. Also if it turns out it wasn't the psu it never hurts to have a better unit anyway!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. yav.at

yav.at New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 768MB
    Thanks for the many replies!
    Its definitly not overheating, I monitor the temperature with MSI afterburner (I didn't OC it yet).

So a new PSU hm.. what would you recommend? I really liked the "be quiet!" one so far, because its reliable and very silent.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Get a Corsair VX550W its more than enough for you rig and isnt expensive.

8. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    My Zalman MFC2 show me ~200W AC in Mafia 2 and a peak 275W AC in OCCT PSU Test so your rig has enough power.
    The problem is that your PSU is an cosmetized ATX12V v1.3 PSU (high amps on +3.3V and +5V, 30 on each) with a 30A combined on +12V so maybe it doesn't like crossload (aka high current on +12V an very low current on minor rails).
    My advice is to try to borrow from a friend a modern PSU and see if problems disappear.
    As for a new PSU depends on budget but you cannot go wrong with an Seasonic/Antec/Enermax/Corsair for example.

9. yav.at

yav.at New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 768MB
    Hm.. so today I tried turning on my PC and only the fans+LEDs started, but nothing else. I didn't change anything (I played with a friend til very early in the morning, slept 8 hours and tried turning it on again). I tried unplugging 1 harddisk, same result. Unplugged both harddisks, still the same. Could it be that my PSU is simply 'growing old' and losing performance?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  10. SUnSpot

SUnSpot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gaming 970 4GB
    http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/datorkomponenter/natdelar/CoolerMaster-SilentPro600W/122040.3031/

I loved this PSU I dont even hear if the computer is booting until the bios peep and the external harddrives kick in.

Anyway everyone is claiming it to be a PSU problem. Im not saying that it isn't but people told me the same thing just 2(?) weeks ago or something.

And it wasn't. All be it I had an 480watt with 22A on the 12v. My computer didn't overclock as well anymore since I was liking it.

anyway my problems were solved with drivers.

The 460 is a ****ty card when it comes to drivers, there is the 260.xx drivers comming soon wich is said to solve ALOT of the problems.

However until then I might recommend the 259.32 unnoficial drivers they worked wonders on my card.

I bought an gtx460 card to replace the 4850 ati card and I had virtually the same fps in mafia2 and slow downs problem...

That was with the newest drivers from nvidia.

Then I installed the 259,32 drivers and I play the game @ 1920x1080 everything maxed out except AA and physX on medium(with cloth physX removed) and I have 55-60fps constantly. Only stutters for a second when it loads new areas which dont happen so often.

So give the 259.32 drivers a go, it would suprise me if it didn't solve your problem.

11. yav.at

yav.at New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 768MB
    Ok cheers mate. Gotta install my new PSU this weekend, then I'll give those drivers a go. :)

Got myself a Corsair 650W now, because the 550W version didn't have enough A on the 12V PCIe plugs.

12. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
  13. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    CPU or PSU can be the problem bottlenecking.

If that is not the problem, force 3D Performance Clocks in Rivatuner.

14. yav.at

yav.at New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 768MB
    Well, my retailer recommended getting the bigger one and it costs 6-7€ more, so not too bad anyhow.
    What made me think it isn't suited was the fact that there wasn't a 2nd 6pin PCIe plug listed for the PSU. In about 17 hours I'll know wether it works or not. ;)