Core i5 2500K & Core i7 2600K processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Sandy bridge is here, today we'll put the Intel Core i7-2600K and Intel Core i5-2500K processors to the testwe will pair the 2600K processor with the Intel Desktop Motherboard DP67BG and also run a test...

More...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man, if I had the money right now I'd jump on the 2500k! But I wonder how AMD is going to do, I like my X3 but there isn't a lot of difference in the high end Phenoms and the Core i5 series. Even more when the 2500k costs less than the 1100T!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh ****, the NDA lifted already?

deltatux

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    good review Hilbert, one point though and i dont mean to be too negative but it would be nice to see current i7 systems vs sandybridge as opposed to just comparing them to AMD x6 etc.

I know it takes loads of extra time and work for extra benchies etc. and its appreciated but a lot of people( myself included ) would like to see comparisons with our intel hardware if possible?

5. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    naa still feels a sideway move from any one with i7 allready

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

I understand completely, a lot of benchies have Nehalem processors included though. But as mentioned in the article ... some tests in the benchmark suite had to be completely overhauled and started from scratch. And that's next to a new OS install for AVX support.

The Core i7 test rig still needs to be upgraded to the new Windows 7 build and only then we can include its results for (as I expect you meant) gaming numbers for which we also switched to a new graphics card (making older R5870 results obsolete).

But sure, with upcoming SB reviews I should have some Nehalem game results ready as well.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    A mid-range Intel Sandy Bridge wiped the x86 CPU market clean? Totally unheard of for such a massive jump in performance in recent years. AMD will really have to step up for Bulldozer, else Intel will just massacre them. It'll be gg after that.

deltatux

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Core i7 2600K, fastest Quad Core on the market @ 317$?

**** Intel, give AMD a chance!

9. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    oooh, i can't wait to see when more results come into play, we could get a much clearer image of performance gain in games!
    nevertheless, we can already see a huge gain in performance and power efficiency!
    Now all we're going to have to do is mostly relying on the multiplier instead of the BCLK :p

Great review as always Hilbert!

10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Looks like my choice of future processor was a good one, indeed! :)

So maximum base clocks and maximum turbo clocks can be increased independently? Sweet.

What happens to idle clocks when you the base clock and/or turbo multipliers? Is it locked to a high multiplier or does it still clock down to whatever idle multiplier is default (usually around 800 MHz I guess)?

Awesome review!

Edit: Seems like my micro-ATX plans might have been foiled due to the lack of overclocking options on H67, unless motherboard manufacturers seem fit to produce P67 options in the format.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I see an upgrade in the near future, and about time too.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ya, your rig is overdue for an overhaul man. Get a 2500K and you'll be laughing.

deltatux

13. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Awesome stuff! I love the i7 2600K too now.
    Im glad that K ver. is only $20 more.
    cant wait to see it on a better cooler or even WC.

14. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    if microcenter gonna have those sale again like the i7 875k 6 month again for $200 and sell the Core i7 2600K for $200 imma pick one up hehe

15. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Do want/am getting a 2600K.

16. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Intel is just dominating AMD in every way, price and performance. and also dominating my mind. Wish I weren't hasty and bought my current rig. 2 months old and it's already being old stuff.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    My system is looking slow. Gaming wise i'm not worried. But look at those encoding and transcoding numbers which i also do alot. Just WOW. What the high end socket 2011 will be like i wonder.

18. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Jaw-dropping! :3eyes:

We'll see how the lineup pans out - and AMD's rebuttal. Looks like I may do a new build this year.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Intel domination is insane . It's kinda sad to see AMD it tough spot.

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    huum comparing with some of my perf numbers, i don't see a reason to switch to them outside take the 2600K and like this be able to really OC it.... cause im largely faster of the stock one, and even vs the 2600K@ 4.3ghz my result are similar or even better in some case ( mine 950 run @ 4.2-4.4ghz 24/24) ..

I will wait to see what the prices are here and see if really it worth the upgrade or if push a 980 is not a better idea...

( note i have see allready some review report 5.1ghz with aircooling for the 2600K, if really they surpass largely the 980 in OC this will maybe start to be intgeresting)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.