Geforce3 patch to Quadro DCC question?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by stormtroopar, Oct 20, 2001.

1. stormtroopar

stormtroopar Guest

Specifically, this is a question for Unwinder.<br>
    <br>
    Really nice work btw. Rivatuner is one of the best Nvidia tweak I have seen or use up til now.<br>
    <br>
    Anyways. I have used Rivatuner v2.0 rc7.1 to successfully patched my Geforce3 with softquadro and the anti-protection to a Quadro DCC. PaintFX in maya runs very fast now and I have used Quake3 to check my display driver and it is saying I am using a Quadro DCC. The question or problem I have are the following:<br>
    <br>
    1) I don't feel performance increase in things like wireframe, shaded models, or textured models which I thought it should get a significant boost by going towards Quadro.<br>
    <br>
    2) When I open rivatuner and try to tweak the opengl settings under Main panel\Driver settings\, I don't see any options for "hardware anti-aliased lines" and the options for hardware acceleration and any Quadro options are still greyed out. Cause I thought once it is patched to Quadro, these options would be available and opened up for tweaking. Am I mistaken?<br>
    <br>
    So I am not sure if I did the whole thing right or not or if this is how it is with the quadro DCC. If anyone knows have similar GF3/QuadroDCC experience, please let me know. Thanks.<br>
    <br>
    Stormtroopar<br><br><i>This message was edited by stormtroopar on 19 Oct 2001 05:18 PM</i>

2. Kakaru2

Kakaru2 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GTX 768MB
    that option is for nv10/11/15 not nv20

3. stormtroopar

stormtroopar Guest

thanks kakaru.<br>
    <br>
    So those options are only for Quadro, Quadro 2 mxr, and Quadro 2 pro.... Do you know why that is? I would think Quadro DCC would support them as well or is it already turned on without that option.<br>
    <br>
    Also, from the docs, I see that I should get many different 3d apps settings from the driver's opengl settings panel, but I only get 5 apps (ie: max, lightwave, soft, XSI, and Maya). Is this another thing that applies only to the DCC patch as well?<br>
    <br>
    Thanks.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

&gt; 2) When I open rivatuner and try to tweak the opengl settings under Main panel\Driver settings\, I don't see any options for "hardware anti-aliased lines" and the options for hardware acceleration and any Quadro options are still greyed out. Cause I thought once it is patched to Quadro, these options would be available and opened up for tweaking. Am I mistaken?<br>
    <br>
    What OS are you running? The most of professional options are for w2k/xp only. BTW you can use RivaTuner's context help to get info on all these options.<br>
    Detonator has NO option for "hardware anti-aliased lines". They are enabled by default on (Soft)Quadro/(Soft)Quadro2 PRO boards only. Quadro DDC doesn't support it.<br>
    <br>
    &gt; Also, from the docs, I see that I should get many different 3d apps settings from the driver's opengl settings panel, but I only get 5 apps (ie: max, lightwave, soft, XSI, and Maya). Is this another thing that applies only to the DCC patch as well?<br>
    <br>
    It's ok. Quadro DDC has fewer number or presets(stored in NvDDCApps.cfg) than the rest Quadro boards (NvWSApps.cfg).<br>
    <br>

5. stormtroopar

stormtroopar Guest

Unwinder,<br>
    <br>
    I am using Win2k right now. The professional options are on, and I get all the options available except hardware anti-aliased lines, which is greyed out. But I guess that is normal. I just didn't know if thats how it is suppose to be or if I didn't correctly installed the softQuadro. Thanks for clearing it up for me.<br>
    <br>
    I did notice Maya runs correctly now and so forth, but I didn't find much wireframe performance improvement after softQuadro. I know this is a big difference between the Geforce and Quadro in the past, but I don't know if this is still true between Geforce 3 and Quadro DCC and if the softQuadro is suppose to improve on this.<br>
    <br>

6. Unwinder

&gt; I did notice Maya runs correctly now and so forth, but I didn't find much wireframe performance improvement after softQuadro. <br>
    <br>
    Both GF3 and Quadro DDC support hardware accelerated lines so it will not be big performance boost in wireframe rendering after SoftQuadro. Both GF3 and DDC DOES NOT support hardware accelerated antialiased lines.

7. stormtroopar

stormtroopar Guest

Thanks again for clearing that up. Kind of wierd though that the older geforce and geforce 2 supports hw antialiased lines and the GF3 and DCC doesn't. Maybe they find its not neccessary... anyhow, thanks for the help.

8. ogadiso

ogadiso New Member

I am new to patching, but successfully patched an ASUS 8200 to Quadro DCC.<br>
    But what I dont see in drivers opengl settings is the choice between different 3d apps - though people here seem to see this choice.<br>
    I used Rivatuner v2.0rc7.1 and patched with softquadro and anti-protection and in Sandra I can see QuadroDCC.<br>
    So what am I doing wrong or what else do I have to do to see this choice for 3D Apps?<br>
    <br>
    thanks for any help<br>
    <br>
    ogadiso

9. Unwinder

ogadiso<br>
    <br>
    Read my original article about SoftQuadro ( <A HREF="http://www.nvworld.ru\docs\sqe.html" TARGET=_blank>www.nvworld.ru\docs\sqe.html</A> ). There you can find the instructions on enabling presets for custom OpenGL appclications. Just follow the instuction from the article, but use NvDDCApps.cfg file instead of NvWSApps.cfg<br><br><i>This message was edited by Unwinder on 26 Oct 2001 05:32 AM</i>

10. ogadiso

ogadiso New Member

Thanks unwinder for your help,<br>
    <br>
    I did this, but I could not find OemConfigurations in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\....<br>
    So I created a new folder: OemConfigurations and put a dword<br>
    as discribed in your article.<br>
    before I copied NvWSAPPS.cfg and NvDCCApps.cfg into the Windows folder<br>
    (because NvWSapps.cfg did not work so I added NvDCCapps.cfg)<br>
    But I cannot see the 3d apps in the control field.<br>
    <br>
    What am I doing wrong, btw. I use WinXP<br>
    <br>
    Another problem: the first time I installed Detonator I had a wireframe framerate with the file from maya-testcenter of 42.5<br>
    yesterday I installed again, now the framerate is down to 30 - but only in wireframe.<br>
    What is responsible for the wireframerate?<br>
    <br>
    thanks for your help in advance<br>
    <br>
    ogadiso

11. Unwinder

&gt; before I copied NvWSAPPS.cfg and NvDCCApps.cfg into the Windows folder<br>
    <br>
    It's incorrect. You must copy it in system Windows folder (Win9x\System for W9x or WinNT\System32 for WinNT4/2k/XP)<br>
    <br>
    &gt; What is responsible for the wireframerate?<br>
    Impossible o give strict answer. A lot of things you could change affects performance. Try to reset all the driver's settings to their defaults.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>

12. ogadiso

ogadiso New Member

Thanks again unwinder,<br>
    <br>
    now I got it going, I can choose maya or what I want.<br>
    But unfortunately with "maya" choosen, the framerate of maya<br>
    goes down by 50%, so I let the defaults run and its really fine.<br>
    After resetting to the defaults I have my orininally framerate again<br>
    of 42,5 in wireframe modus and 21,3 in shaded modus and thats really cool.<br>
    <br>
    ogadiso