shadow areas appear red

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by knobtwiddler, May 11, 2008.

1. knobtwiddler

knobtwiddler New Member

while watching blu ray movies on my ps3 and a samsung 46" lcd, i noticed that on some movies certain dark areas appear to have a red tint to it. what would i have to change to get rid of this?

2. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Pause it so you can see the offending redness.. then go into the TV menu Picture/Detail settings/White Balance/ then bring down the R-Gain till it goes. You might want to play with the R-Offset after that to get good looking skin tone.

3. knobtwiddler

knobtwiddler New Member

i dont see that option in my tv menu. is it the same as the red/green slider?

4. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    No..... Presuming you have a fairly recent Samsung TV.
    It's in "Detailed settings" If Detailed settings is greyed out then you have to change the Mode to "movie". You should do that anyway as the other two modes, "standard" and "dynamic", don't offer as many options and have some dodgy processing like "DNIe" forced on. You should turn all that off.

5. knobtwiddler

knobtwiddler New Member

ok i will try it on movie mode, i just left it pretty much on factory settings which is dynamic. i have tried switching to movie mode but wasnt to fond of it at first, everything seemed too dark for my likeing. i liked the vibrantness of colors and such on dynamic.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    What model is the TV? Because this site has some recommended calibration settings for a couple of Samsungs and a good forum section. If you aren't in the UK then your model number might be different though.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

It's worth giving 'movie mode' and a low backlight level a go... It will take a bit of getting used to if you currently have it set to dynamic.. but once your eyes have settled in the difference can be quite big. Out of the box settings and pumped contrast cut off some of the image range, on DVD that's not as much of a big deal, but to get the most of Blu-Ray you'll want to tweak with it to get that proper "looking through a window" effect. Plus when 'black' is set to be as low as the TV will take it, the colours really pop out... dodgy post processing on the TV just change the colours from what they should be. Saving Private Ryan shouldn't be looking like Speed Racer... if you get my meaning.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  7. knobtwiddler

knobtwiddler New Member

samsung 4671 model