Only 1 DVI out on my aging x850.. 2 DVI sources

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by >>Shoot Here<<, Mar 30, 2008.

1. >>Shoot Here<<

>>Shoot Here<< Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X850XT 256MB @ (560/590)
    I have my 19'' samsung monitor and got a new 37'' LCD tv. I want to use both from my computer, as I think the 37'' might be a bit big for regular usage. I would just use my computer as my dvd player till i get a ps3, can I use my analog out on my GPU to get HD on my TV or does it need the digital signal. I could also use a component style hookup from the GPU as well. Would one be better then the other? Or is there even a DVI signal splitter?

2. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Has your TV got a VGA port on it? Many do... if so you could use that.

If not, depending on how often you use one or the other you'll have to decide which one gets the digital connection. HDMI TV inputs can't accept a converted analogue signal. There is the option of using the component HDTV output from the graphics card. You probably got a little cable when you brought it... stubby little one with a S-Video connector on one end and 3 RCA on the other (red green and blue). That will deliver 1080i.. or at least it should do. I had that card for quite a while and nether bothered with the HDTV out... not sure whether it's a pain to setup or not.

They don't make DVI splitters, certainly not for cheap, eg. it's be much cheaper for you to just get a new graphics card.

3. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    A Matrox DualHead2Go Digital Edition will work, but as stated already they are as much as a replacement graphics card ~$200.
    DVI , whatever you use,will give you the best picture, though, by far.

4. >>Shoot Here<<

>>Shoot Here<< Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X850XT 256MB @ (560/590)
    yes, my tv has the VGA port. I just plugged it into that, because... well it is easier then the component cables. I still have to mount the tv on a wall and what not, but is this the best route? or would the component cables be best?
    I am mainly concerned here if the VGA cable can delever 720p/1080i to the TV.

5. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    VGA can support 2440x1440. I've done it with a 24in. Trinitron monitor. But VGA is not ideal for LCD's

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    No.. 720p and 1080i are HDTV standards. The VGA port will most likely want to work the TV like any normal PC monitor. Basically the TV will run bareback with no scaling or processing which it would if it's in "HDTV mode".
    So that means finding the exact resolution of the TV.. if it's 1366x768 then put it at that resolution in window's display settings for the best results. It could be 1360.. 1365... x768 some TVs are different than others.

If it's not the exact resolution then, because it's an LCD it'll look really bad. You'll know when you have it. The DVI vs VGA thing probably won't matter too much till you get to in much higher resolutions. There might be some ghostly movements and the text won't be perfect... but if you are sitting back from it, it'll probably be fine till you upgrade your card. If you get VGA set up right then it will look better than component.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008