I need a small but really good CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by evilkiller650, May 3, 2016.

1. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I have been using the supplied Intel cooler since I got this PC because the awesome Noctua cooler I got was WAY to big to fit in my case/around my other pieces of hardware.
    Width wise, even the Intel cooler is close to touching the memory sticks.
    Here is a picture of how much space I have.

[​IMG]

I am finding it hard to see the size of the coolers of supplied pictures on websites (and I don't have a measuring tape to see how much space I have in case)
    Any recommendations are good! :)

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Check out Frostytech, as well as reviewing coolers they have a list of 'top 5' for different categories.

The low profile list is here:
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm

They've even made different segments for different cooler heights. You can then click on the cooler for the review, go to the comparison page, and see how its cooling compares to other coolers. Keep in mind the comparison list in the review is current at the time of that review, so anything newer won't show on the list. Also the low profile lists are platform independent, some of those coolers are ancient.

The most recent review currently is for a Noctua NH-L9x65. The comparison list is therefore the most up to date one.
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2796&page=5

Look at where the cooler is down the list... shows you need to choose wisely!

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you want to have minimum "space" trouble get AIO h2o

Use it on the back of pc case, e.g. Corsair H75 (H80i) or H90 if you have 140mm fan holes and use it as intake (case>fan>radiator).
    top as exhaust,
    side intake,
    front intake

Something like new H80i or H90 should keep that Ivy cool up to 4.7Ghz at reasonable volts, lets say up to ~1.30v.

I have almost 3yr old Corsair H90 with custom pp fans and it can cool i7 4770k @ 4.7Ghz 1.28v np
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Usually 35-50C per core area or more demanding games 45-60C max.. Something like 3dmark Skydiver physics can go up to 60-70C, cinebench 70-72C (package is at least 10-15C lower).

Btw you need to have access to mobo backplate, otherwise you will have to take it out to mount support on the back.:nerd:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Evga makes a really small yet powerful cooler I just forgot what it was called.

5. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
  6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    That cheap Arctic Freezer 11i should do the job just fine for 3570K@4.4GHz. Just be sure to have enough airflow inside the case, hot summer is coming.

edit
    And do something about those PSU cables, it looks like a real mess :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You'd have a lot more room if you did some cable management

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I 2nd that opinion.Just get a pack of zip-ties and work your way down whatever is dangling just (Zip-it) then (clip-it) that would drive me crazy if that was my machine.:wanker:

9. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Yup. The wires are a mess.
    The problem was when I first got this computer, I got a useless crappy PSU and obviously had to get a new one.
    Now, the old crappy PSU is literally stuck in the PSU compartment. I've tried with all my might to get it out but it's not bugging :wanker: :bang:
    My good PSU (XFX) is sitting on top of the case and the wires are all over the place :)

My case has good air flow. The case is sitting on its side, and the whole panel is off. :stewpid: (me) :D

I always make some kind of mistake when I build my PCs, and usually got lazy and just did everything the easy way, leading to messy cables and a stock cooler :)

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The side window open actually does not help airflow by itself, as it's supposed to travel through your case, a general direction of air flow, which it doesn't have that way (I tried that too a few years ago though :D)

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I'm sure you could get the old PSU out if you put your mind to it :D

12. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I consider myself a pretty strong, big guy and it's simply not budging :( :D

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Leverage with screwdrivers / piece of wood on the side, and a few moderately hard whacks with a mallet or hammer on the wood

Check you didn't forget any screws on the other side of the case lol

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Do that, happens at times. If not...

[​IMG]

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Used to get annoying when I worked in a repair shop, getting machines in where the PSU/HDD/DVD had been screwed in from both sides, no need for it lol

Actually, I'm saying PSU, but they generally screw in from the back, must be the HDD/DVD I'm remembering

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uh maybe clean that out, that looks bad

17. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I just installed the cooler now. I am always hesitant in playing around with working hardware but thought what the hell and just done it :)
    Amazing. The temperature is 20C+ cooler :D
    Everything is also running cooler because I gave the case and every fan/hardware a very good dust! :)

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    1st time I heard a psu being stuck in a case but anything is possible I guess? Like once a month I like to run some compressed air through my rig ud be suprised how much dust adds up in 30 days! Some minor cable managment plus air will give you few degrees breathing room on top of that new cooler your getting.Good luck chief.

19. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    CPU is stable @ 4.4Ghz 1.320v. Average temperature is 66C to 69C running Prime95 for hours.
    From a quick Google search, 70C is the recommended temperature but 80C is acceptable as long you don't mind the life span decrease? I'll be upgrading the CPU in a year maybe, not even that.
    Temperatures are alot better than expected.
    Should I aim for 4.5Ghz or even 4.6Ghz if I can keep it below 80C?
    I am hyped for Total War: Warhammer and I want to ensure I have fastest overclocks possible :D

And yes, I got better cable management :D Turns out I had unused SATA/peripherals cables in! :)

Last edited: May 15, 2016