sound card for HD 598

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DiceAir, Apr 25, 2013.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I have a question about my HD598.

Currentley have it connected via asus xonar u1. Reason for using it is because my dual 570GTX cards is blocking me from installing any sound card. So My motherboard went faulty and got it exchanged. So now rethinking of upgrading my sound card. I'm running the thermalright silver arrow cpu cooler

My old motherboard

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65.html

new board

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G45-Thunderbolt.html

I was thinking of upgrading my sound card to the following

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and..._DGX/#overview

or

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and...r_Essence_STX/

forgot to mention I mostly play games like battlefield 3, And a couple of single player games. I'm just worried I'm not getting the audio I'm suppose to from my headphone. I want to be able to utilize it to the best and have upgrade abilities

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The HD598's will definitely benefit from both a better quality source and an amp, despite their 50ohm rating. There's a pretty hefty difference between the DG/X and the Essence STX. One being entry level and the other being top end, of course I can personally recommend the ST (The X is a slightly cut down version that works with PCI-E). I can also recommend the DG, but there is a massive difference in price. You might be better served looking for an OEM Z, as it offers sound quality that I'd imagine hovers somewhere between the two, and a better amp - as well as other more modern gaming related features.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I was going to say Z as well. not that much more than DG and a lot cheaper than the ST/X. great positional audio too.

4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    The creative sound blaster z looks amazing. is it really better for gaming than the xonar stx. I can save a lot

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The Creative Z is PCI-E based also the Xonar DGX is a PCI-E ver of the DG.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    cool cool. The sound blaster-z looks really nice

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's better than the DG. the Virtual surround sounds better than Dolby headphone on the DG. From personal experience. for music, it sounds great. to me it sounds a touch better than the DG. it's a great card for the money.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The Sound Blaster Z is amazing for the price. It should sound better than a Xonar DX while offering more features. It isn't quite at the level of the Essence STX, as the STX has a higher-end DAC and implementation. The competitor for the STX is the Sound Blaster ZxR.

My vote is for the Creative cards currently. Z > DX and ZxR > STX, generally. Drivers also seem to be improved greatly at Creative's side, while Asus is having some issues. With both companies you could use 3rd-party drivers anyways.

Have you considered external DACs at similar price points to the STX and ZxR? At $100, I really doubt you'll find something that competes with the Z and DX, but at $200+, you will find something against the STX or ZxR (Audio-GD NFB15.32, for instance).

9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    sorry been reading alot of info and the creative z looks like a good buy. Just what I need for games and good for movies and music. But I play games the most so I will see when I get it if it's really that good

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Get Zx instead of Z. Your headphones will be unusable without external volume controler (unless I'm hyper sensitive to sound).

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    if he has a keyboard with macro keys he can adjust the volume that way, I find it perfectly fine. if not, I would probably get a Zx

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I use Xonar DG with 595 and 598 (bro's pc).

I am very happy with current setup. While xonar DG is cheap, its more than enough to tell the difference from mobo sound.

I don't have experience with high end sound cards. But I'd consider getting one if I am to switch to better headphones.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Except that the windows volume control is not enough. ATH-AD700 is now here near as sensitive as HD 595 or HD 598. Without ACM I'd had to adjust volume all the way down to 2%-4%. There's pretty much zero flexibility when it comes to volume control without ACM - and that's when using line out. Also I'm not sure how good thing it is to use single digit volume numbers sound quality wise. Something to consider.

I personally use windows volume at 10% and then fine tune the volume with ACM (to about 2/3). ACM will make the sound quieter even when it's maxed out, which helps.

However, I'd like to know what other HD 595/HD 598 owners think about the volume levels with this card. I want to know if it's just my ears...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The ACM degrades sound quality considerably. Haven't you noticed the difference in sound quality?

You're wasting your headphones' potential by pushing them over a Xonar DG. A better soundcard is a must.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No I have not, and besides, I could use it anyway without it. If anything, I'd say it sounds better with ACM than directly from the card at ~4% (most likely because the digital volume control starts to hurt the sound a lot at that point).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I seen people mention it depends on the headphones that you are using that the ACM degrades the sound quality of.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How can you prove it?

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The Xonar DG headphone amp wont be enough for headphones that req alot of power that the DG hp amp can't provide for them. The DG is enough for headphones that are easier to drive or don't req that much to be driven.

The DG wont be able to power headphones like AKG701/2, DT770/880/990 Pro 250/Premium 250, Nor the HD600/650 and any other headphone that is 250ohms and up that needs power to be driven correctly,Or any other headphones that are amp picky like the AKG's.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The DAC in it is rather basic too. In any case, fine card for the price but in the end you do get what you pay for and there's obviously superior choices out there (that cost way more).

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Ummm...try a better card and hear the difference?

You're pushing $240 headphones over a $30 soundcard. Do you expect everything to be fine?