E-D wired glasses: ghosting, need help

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by hubert d, Oct 19, 2006.

1. hubert d

hubert d New Member

I have been researching and this seems like the best place to start. I've had them for 3 days.

My pc is AMD 64 3000 with an Nvidia 6800 AGP video card. My monitor is a Hitachi CRT max refresh is 85hz. My default setting on all games is 1024 x 768.

Installed 91.47 and then the 91.47 stereo drivers. I checked the CD, reread the directions and that seemed to be all that was needed. The E-D drivers were only for non-Nvidia cards and everything else was outdated was my understanding. (I did install the little utility from edimensional after I started trying to tweak.)

I did the Nvidia stereo test and the logo looked awesome jumping out of the screen and I put my hand through it. Wow.

However after 6 hours trying in games I'm not having luck. I have tried FEAR, UT4 and Max Payne. I have read around and apparently what I'm seeing is ghosting and it is killing my eyes.

I am seeing characters fully in 3d but around them is this "halo" effect where they have a duplicate. I can close one eye and the ghost is on the left or right. When movement starts, my eyes are straining to ignore the ghosts but this appears as a haze over the whole environment.

I read that ghosting is not caused by low refresh it can be caused by high contrast (turned mine to 65) or higher refresh rates. I can deal with the shuttering if the effect would actually look like I think it is supposed to.

Obviously, I'd really like this to work so anyhelp appreciated.

2. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The effect your seeing is called 'after glow". My monitor does the same thing. Its basicaly the bright spots on one frame stay bright during the next few frames. Some tips are lower brightness/contrast to darken these spots, you could also try a different color temperature.

Some tips for 3d;
    use the lowest resolution so you can get the highest refreash rate, becasue in stereo RR is cut in half, one half for each eye.

Tweak the seperation and convergence settings heres a link read the whole thread! http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=15597 This is the best forum for stereo 3d I have found, you would probably get more help there.

The newest nvidia stereo drivers have problems in dx try an opengl game.

If I think of more ill post it.

GL to you! ;) :)

3. jbalat

jbalat Member Guru

GPU:
    7900 GT
    Try turning the brightness down on the monitor this will minimise this effect. But sounds like your monitor doesnt meet spec. My old 19" will do over 120Hz at 1024x768 which means response time is quicker and therefore less ghosting. You really need 120Hz or more so that your eyes dont hurt. This is a refresh thing, not ghosting, since each eye only sees 60hz which isnt too good.

4. hubert d

hubert d New Member

I've checked out the nivida forum and decided to clean drivers and install 91.31. I think it has improved at least in Max Payne. I'll have to keep reading. I think I should be able to max Morrowind because the environments look awesome to me but that creates more ghosts I think because of seperation.

Edimensional website states that 85hz flicker should be barely noticeable and in fact isn't that noticeable. But it seems each game needs it's own tweaking to get the effect down.

I think some content created with stereo in mind would probably look good too or how about a 3d music player syncd with some crazy visuals that pop out? That would be nice. I'll look around some more. Thanks