Odd behavior with AB / AMD black screen only when rebooting(not shutting down)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by hopeful, Dec 28, 2014.

1. hopeful

hopeful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE
    I've been fortunate with my r9 290s as in that they haven't had the dreaded random black screens during normal operation and use, that a lot of others sadly experienced.

However one of my Sapphire Tri X, has peculiar behavior and I am not certain if it's entirely Afterburner's fault though it began when I upgraded to AB 4.0 and AMD 14.12. If I revert back to AB 3.x and AMD 14.4, the issue goes away.

When I undervolt the card/set a profile, it boots from an off state and it performs fine. Games, websites, movies - it runs for days unphased. I can shut down and power on the system from Windows with no problems.

Oddly, if I reboot the system from Windows, upon logging in, it shows the desktop for a brief moment, before it black screens. I then either power down with or reboot using the case buttons.
    If I reboot, this pattern will continue indefinitely. The only way around it is to hard power down and then start again. And when I enter Windows, the profile is working and active.

To add more peculiarity ... if I then bump the voltage back up a little bit, save the profile and then do a reboot, it will load fine and behave.
    So for whatever reason(s), I get the black screen with the profile, only when rebooting.

P.S. This doesn't happen with the other card.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014