Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-30-2004, 13:51 | posts: n/a

Heh thanks for replying.
Seriously, i tried everything, several bios, all the different approaches, everything. WinXp boot , win ME AND 98!
Tried to get the write protect off, nothing.... simply refused to work.
Im not kidding i tried every approach with every combination for about 2 hours.....

....but i finally got it to work!
somewhere (cant remember where, i have been to soooo many sites) there was a gainward pack with a .bat file, so i ran the bat and it gave me some weird errors, kinda like the vendor id mismatch but a bit different, then it asked if i wanted to flash, and it was smoothe sailing from there.

I know you guys put up with a lot of "i dunno what ive done, think ive killed my card", but seriously i had printed out all the front page, read every post here and other sites, printed out the nvflash commands from the readme, the lot.
I did it all right, and it STILL didnt flash, so im thinking there must be other guys flummoxed at why their cards arent flashing either.
The only thing i could think of, was perhaps it had something to do with the Quaddro softmod.

Ah well. its sorted now
Currently running at 530/1000 no probs at all.
Superb. So if anyone else has the same trouble i did (god knows why the card wouldnt flash, the procedure wasnt exactly hard!)
track down that gainward .bat to sort it out for you!

Last edited by fragglefart; 01-30-2004 at 14:00.

Old
  (#102)
Bondolus
Master Guru

Videocard: ATi HD 3600 512mb
Processor: P4 2.8 Prescott
Mainboard: Asus P4P800 SE
Memory: 3GB Dual 400mhz DDR
Soundcard: SB Audigy Value
PSU: Enermax 450
Default 01-31-2004, 21:42 | posts: 551 | Location: Vancouver

sorry to all if i missed this but, i have a GF4 Ti 4200 128mb made by Chaintech, should i bother flashing the bios? Always been curious about doing it...

Thanks,

looking for chaintech fx 5950 ultra bios ;)
Old
  (#103)
jfolds
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce 470
Processor: Intel Q6550 Quad 12mb
Mainboard: Asus Rampage II
Memory: 16gig Corsair XMS DDR3
Soundcard: Soundblaster
PSU: Tagan BZ 700w
Default looking for chaintech fx 5950 ultra bios ;) - 02-01-2004, 02:38 | posts: 185 | Location: Georgia, USA

If anyone has a chaintech fx 5950 ultra bios please post a link or email it to me

Chaintech fx 5900's use the integrated vivo chip, so a chaintech bios should work good for integrated vivo's

I've got a chaintech fx 5900 myself, and i'm dying to flash but i need vivo so please if you have the chaintech bios please post it

thanks,

Jamie

jfolds1@alltel.net

Old
  (#104)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 02-01-2004, 02:46 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

jfolds, you cant ask for Bios files here. i tried making that clear. you been praticly spamming it.. just use leadtek bios chief.. and there are different Vivo chips, i will make a thread about how to do that.

and a ti4200 can probably be flashed to a 4400, wouldnt try for anything higher then that though. been doing a little research on the Ti's soo, dont go higher then 4400, and dont make a mistake and use the mx440 bios either.

Flash Gone Bad!
Old
  (#105)
johnston21
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 7950GT512 1300-defaul
Processor: XP3000/400 @ 10.5 x 214,
Mainboard: Abit NF7-S v2.0
Memory: Coarsair TwinX, 2 x 1Gb C
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty, Fostex PM4
PSU: Powerstream520, APC Line-
Default Flash Gone Bad! - 02-02-2004, 01:55 | posts: 246 | Location: Canada

MSI 5900U (256): Tried to flash with the msi 5950U bios. It went bad, and the floppy isn't reading the boot disk when trying to boot up to do a "blind flash" with the saved orig. bios. I made sure that the floppy was set to the 1'st boot device.

Options (other than cry)? Can I send it to MSI to be reflashed?

Old
  (#106)
SilentBomber

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-02-2004, 03:36 | posts: n/a

Quote:
Can I send it to MSI to be reflashed?
I would seriously doubt that. If you have a PCI video card or have a friend that you could borrow one from, than you can boot using it and reflash it....

Old
  (#107)
jfolds
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce 470
Processor: Intel Q6550 Quad 12mb
Mainboard: Asus Rampage II
Memory: 16gig Corsair XMS DDR3
Soundcard: Soundblaster
PSU: Tagan BZ 700w
Default 02-02-2004, 04:17 | posts: 185 | Location: Georgia, USA

I had the same problem flashing a cdrw drive once.... since then, i've been scared to death of using a floppy for a flash. THe disk booted once, and allowed me to flash but goofed and then the disk was somehow instantly a bad disk.

after reading all this about flashing to a 5950, i put in an order for a usb jumpdrive. I think that would be a whole lot safer to flash from than a floppy.

Jamie

Old
  (#108)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-02-2004, 07:39 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

Well flashing using a floppy is pretty safe, unless you put your floppies near speakers or magnets of any kind.

the video card shouldnt interfeir with your boot selection.. if need be disconnect all your hard drives, then put the floppy in the computer and start it up. So it has to read the floppy, even if it isnt set to 1st.

wait tell after you think the dos is done. but if you using a floppy with a selection like windows ME boot disk it has like "start setup, start dos with cdrom support, and start dos without cd roms support" and stuff. you will want to use one without a selection

such as a windows 98, or 95 boot disk..

And to give you guys a note i did mention before a couple times somewhere on these forums. I do support gainward bios and leadtek bios. i do not support the MSI bios personally. i did not care for its compadibility,.. though i got it to flash to different cards, it wasnt a smooth flash.. not like the leadtek bios, which i support very openly.

This time try using the leadtek bios. or if you must use the gainward bios. as those i have both tried and both worked very well.

Re: Flash Gone Bad!
Old
  (#109)
johnston21
Master Guru

Default Re: Flash Gone Bad! - 02-02-2004, 16:27 | posts: 246 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by johnston21
MSI 5900U (256): Tried to flash with the msi 5950U bios. It went bad, and the floppy isn't reading the boot disk when trying to boot up to do a "blind flash" with the saved orig. bios. I made sure that the floppy was set to the 1'st boot device.

Options (other than cry)? Can I send it to MSI to be reflashed?
I've triple checked, and the rig will not allow a floppy boot with the dead vid card. No probs booting with the floppy when I put another (working) AGP vid card in. Even tried "Halt on No Errors."

So, I can get a PCI vid card for $20 (cdn). Would someone please explain how I would go about reflashing the AGP vid card using a PCI vid card to boot the floppy.

Have yet to hear back from MSI re: my RMA request.

Old
  (#110)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-02-2004, 16:50 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

ok, do this, put the pci card in, and take the agp card out, goto your bios, and set your main video selection to PCI "it gives a choice of pci or agp"

then shut down put the agp card in, both agp and pci card at the same time. i would advise have harddrives unplugged. so it doesnt boot into windows and reflash it.

"the monitor would be hooked up to the pci card"

if it flashes ok, which you will be able to tell. then restart with your monitor hooked up to the agp card..

"might have to reselect agp in bios, but boot back into dos using the agp card or boot up without harddrive, just to make sure"

and i would NOT rma the card, as they will charge you to repair it as flashing voids the warrenty.

use only your original bios, or the leadtek, not the msi 5950u or any other bios.

either leadtek bios, or your original bios, which you backed up.

Last edited by Chouji; 02-02-2004 at 16:53.

Old
  (#111)
johnston21
Master Guru

Default 02-02-2004, 18:01 | posts: 246 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Chouji
then shut down put the agp card in, both agp and pci card at the same time.
The floppy drive will not boot when the dead agp card is in at the same time as the pci card.

Other options?

Old
  (#112)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-02-2004, 18:08 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

no.. like that doesnt even make sense.. the agp has nothing to do with the floppy drive, i dont see how that is even possible.

im not saying its not possible as you seem to have that problem, but i couldnt even simulate this problem or recreate this for that matter..

i seriously have no clue whats going on, i tested 4 different cards, a gainward, a leadtek and 2 bfg's.. none of them had problems, i recreated the vivo problems then fixed them to test and make a repair guide.

but i've never even seen a problem like this. unless you got a spare harddrive you can make into a dos boot drive, "like a dos boot disk, but on a spare harddrive" i dont know what to say.

are you able to see out of the pci card when both the pci card and the agp card are in at the same time?

Edit:
ok its 11:17am i been awake all night, i got problems with daylight.. hurts my skin,

going to bed now. anyone who leaves a message look at the time at the bottom of this post its "last edit time"

then add like 15 or so hours to that, and thats when i will be back on to answer your questions. PMing me is good with support, but make sure its support related.

Last edited by Chouji; 02-02-2004 at 18:33.

Trying to Recover
Old
  (#113)
johnston21
Master Guru

Default Trying to Recover - 02-02-2004, 20:51 | posts: 246 | Location: Canada

Ok, so I got an older PC with a PCI vid card, and I'm able to boot up the DOS floppy. When I enter the command "nvflash -f <filename.rom>" I get a message returned "Opened <filename.rom> successfully." Then it just sits there. It does not return to the a:/> prompt. The card still appears to be dead. When I tried "wfflash.exe nm <filename.rom>" it retuned the message "No NV devices found", so it appears that I cannot use wfflash.

Edit: Received my RMA, it's a local address, so off it goes.

Last edited by johnston21; 02-02-2004 at 21:43.

Old
  (#114)
ruff97
Member Guru

Videocard: Evga 7900GTO
Processor: AMD 64 X2 4400
Mainboard: EPoX "EP-9NPA+Ultra "
Memory: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000
Soundcard:
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 750W
Default 02-03-2004, 01:44 | posts: 51 | Location: NY

ok i have some some problem like PaintballerGFX

"I have an XFX FX5900 128mb 256bit

When I try to use NVFlash, i get the EEPROM error, and I don't know what to do. I can backup fine, but i can't write to the bios. I tries WFFLASH too, but that wasn't working for me either

Any tips?"

can u help Chouji

Old
  (#115)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-03-2004, 08:05 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

your going to have to tell me what the eeprom error says.. and what step it happened at.

you guys arent giving me enough info here.. it would be like me saying my game crashed...

without telling you what game or anything like that..

gotta give me more info. and its not just nvflash -f filename.rom thats only if its the same brand bios..

you need to use nvflash -f filename.rom -u -p

nvflash can use a force flash which bypasses just about everything. and works most of the time. "though not all"

nvflash -r -5 -6 -f filename.rom -u -p

nvflash does have a readme file which list commands as well.

Edit forgot to add you MUST!!! use NVflash 4.41 i saw someone mention it in another thread and i totally forgot to tell everyone to use 4.41 as 4.46 doesnt override propperly. soo remember.. 4.41 it can be found in the link on the first post on this thread

Last edited by Chouji; 02-03-2004 at 09:20.

Old
  (#116)
ruff97
Member Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-03-2004, 11:00 | posts: 51 | Location: NY

ok the error i an get now is

EEPROM promgramming failed and

Error: Mismatch in 256 byte page-mode programming

Old
  (#117)
ruff97
Member Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-03-2004, 11:20 | posts: 51 | Location: NY

ok Chouji
it work now i had to:

typed nvflash -r [enter key]
Then typed nvflash -p -u -f xxx.rom
now it work i get 475/950 i get at 3dmark 17582 i will oc later to see how high i can get it

fx5950
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7518734

this one is whan i had it oc from a fx5900 480/965

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7504404

Last edited by ruff97; 02-03-2004 at 11:22.

Old
  (#118)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-03-2004, 12:00 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

yes -r removed write protection, it can be re-enabled with -w if you needed. but only time write protection is needed is if someone makes their video bios cacheable. which isnt a very good idea.. but does work for mild performance boost. though not much of one.

happy to hear it work. you can probably oc 500/1000 maybe but becareful and you can beat your older score, because the core voltage is higher it can OC higher.

VIVO - working in DOS only????
Old
  (#119)
Amadeus

Videocard: MSI 5900
Processor: Pentium 4 3GHz
Mainboard:
Memory: 2GB
Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2
PSU:
Default VIVO - working in DOS only???? - 02-03-2004, 15:09 | posts: 5

Hm.. Igot a weird one now.

I finally found a BIOS (chaintech 5950 from Mavke) that will work with VIVO on my MSI 5900.

The truble is, this works in DOS only, and also when it is loading windows XP.

As soon as windows XP has loaded (login screen) I get the blank picture on my TV!

So i got TV out in DOS but not in windows?

I reinstalled drivers and WDM and still no luck!

BTW this chaintech BIOS is using the integrated controller which works (I have a DOS screen on my TV) same as my MSI 5900.

Old
  (#120)
johnston21
Master Guru

Default 02-03-2004, 15:14 | posts: 246 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Chouji
Edit forgot to add you MUST!!! use NVflash 4.41 i saw someone mention it in another thread and i totally forgot to tell everyone to use 4.41 as 4.46 doesnt override propperly. soo remember.. 4.41 it can be found in the link on the first post on this thread
Perhaps this was what was preventing me from being able to re-flash my MSI 5900U. I was using 4.46 unsuccessfully. Oh well, the card has been RMA'd, if I have to pay, no big deal. I don't think I'll be trying this again when I get my card back. Besides, the card oc'd to 525/965 without the bios mod. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old
  (#121)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-03-2004, 15:22 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

amadeus you dont have you vivo settings right, in the nvidia settings, you came to the wrong thread my friend. i dont support this nor do i support the chaintech bios.

its probably settings in the nvidia thing..

to make note to everyone, i only support the gainward and the leadtek bios.. i dont even fully support the gainward bios.. its just a good alternative to the leadtek bios.

theres a thread on how to make vivo work when flashing, which you can edit the leadtek bios to work better with vivo commands from your original bios. just gotta find the thread hun

Old
  (#122)
Shataan
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
Processor: FX 9590 @ 4.7 gig
Mainboard: Crosshair V Formula Z
Memory: GSkill TridentX 16Gb@2400
Soundcard: Logitech G35
PSU: Enermax 850 psu
Default 02-03-2004, 17:05 | posts: 841 | Location: Corsair H80i

ok, had a friend of mine try the Leadtech bios on his 128 meg Asus 5900 ultra. He as well used WFFlash.

Leadtech bios:

"Adapter type (no text)
Adapter information:

Chip Type, DAC Type, Memory Size, Adapter String, Bios Information:

Unavailable"

So much for the Leadtech bios that ALWAYS works. lol

Next we tried a bios that I got from Mavke last night.

POV-FX5950U.rom:

interesting, some progress. Restarting computer shows Geforce FX 5950 text. At desktop recieved a DLL error. Went to display settings, set to 32 bit.... and the display went crappy. So he has flashed back to his default bios=Bios 4.35.20.27

I`d sure like to find a bios that would work for this dude. ;0) ;0)

the command at A Prompt we are using is the one that worked for me.

A:\WFFlash.exe nm A380u.rom

the bios file, DOS4GW, and WFFlash are on the disk.

Last edited by Shataan; 02-03-2004 at 17:13.

Old
  (#123)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-03-2004, 23:41 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

you can also give nvflash version 4.41 a try "only 4.41 not 4.46 or lower then 4.41 as i have not tested them.

Old
  (#124)
Obi1kanobi

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-04-2004, 21:33 | posts: n/a

Ok here's my problem. I own a Club3d 5900xt videocard. I own the green pcb one. I tried to flash this card to a XFX 5900NU which is the best bios for this card as goes for the Gainward 5950e400 one. With both bios i am getting a blackscreen after windows starts to load (login screen). This only happens after a cold boot. When flashing restarting, everythings ok, works good. But when I shut down my machine and boot it back up...bam blackscreen on login screen.

Tried lots of things...driver uninstalls and installs of 53.03, 53.04 and 53.06 samething on all. Strange thing is Save mode works...so with standard VGA driver no prob. only with hi-res mode....

Is there anybody out there with the same problem and could someone come up with a sollution....please????

Old
  (#125)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Default 02-05-2004, 09:06 | posts: 5,634 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

ya refresh rate, make sure in safe mode, set your refrest rates back down to 60hz as this causes alot of problems after flashing.

sense your monitor isnt use to the new card at the rate..

so in safe mode, change your monitors refrest to about 60hz, yes i know its annoying but oh well. and uninstall all your drivers for your video card, and reinstall them when back in normal mode.

if this does not work, then tell me if anything new happened.

the 5900u bios is also ok for XT/SE cards. as it takes the core about 50mhz higher then the 5900nu "in most cases depending on the brands" as some 5900nu's and ultra's have both 850mhz memory clocks, though some nu's have 800mhz clock

"bfg 5900nu uses 400/850, and their ultra's use 450/850" soo thats why i would figure a 5900u bios would work.